FAILED!!!!!DRAT

Started by ray835, August 21, 2012, 16:05

2 of the left

Your best bet is to take the 2 to another test centre !! AND forget all the BS given by the wind-up merchant!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

AckersMR2

Well it seems I wasn't so far off the mark a couple of months ago after all?
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=38775

Like I said then, all it takes is a jobs worth to ruin your day, irrespective of whether the main cat is doing its job properly it seems this guy would fail your 2 anyway.

This is all heading towards not being allowed to modify your car from the way it came out of the showroom.

I can see not too far from now the tester will put your reg into the VOSA computer when they start the test and the computer will list the spec of the car the day it came out of the factory and any deviation from that will result in a fail?
My only car is a Ducati 

2 of the left

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Well it seems I wasn't so far off the mark a couple of months ago after all?
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=38775

Like I said then, all it takes is a jobs worth to ruin your day, irrespective of whether the main cat is doing its job properly it seems this guy would fail your 2 anyway.

This is all heading towards not being allowed to modify your car from the way it came out of the showroom.

I can see not too far from now the tester will put your reg into the VOSA computer when they start the test and the computer will list the spec of the car the day it came out of the factory and any deviation from that will result in a fail?
YUP - Big BROTHER!!! - We'll all end up like the East Germans driving around in the equivalent to Trabants!! (At least we won't need headlights - Those things glowed in the dark (Re-constituted nuclear waste!!)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Steve Green

I dont like to be the messenger of bad news but there is lots of legislation that is bubbling under the surface that will have an impact on car enthusiasts and modifiers.
The Kit Car world is on the case where some of the original donor vehicles are now very rare and parts unavailable so cannot be replaced like for like. It wont be long before we cannot replace parts without having a CE mark, introduced long after the original parts ceased manufacture.

The end of the world is nigh
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

FGrob

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom in this thread, I think I'll worry about it when it happens, also you will find most higher quality components are already CE marked so I certainly not going to worry about that. If you are that concerned about these changes then sell the car.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

carlclarke

Quote from: "FGrob"If you are that concerned about these changes then sell the car.

If it were me and I was sure that it was just about pre-cats, I would change back to a Toyota manifold (with pre-cats), take it for the test and then put the new one on again. Pain in the ass but it is nice to beat the system instead of being a victim. There are always plenty of cheap Toyota manifolds floating about on fleabay (but maybe the price in going to go up if the breakers are reading this   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  ).

stargazer30

Well based on my research...

MR2 with stock manifold gutted/stock CAT - Highly unlikely to fail unless the emissions are off/CAT is bad.  You'd need a clue'd up MOT tester and they would have to pull the o2 sensor or you'd have to tell them the pre cats were gone.

MR2 with aftermarket manifold/stock CAT - Still unlikely to fail unless its a clue'd up tester and he reads the legislation to mean pre cats too

MR2 with full aftermarket exhaust from the header down, sports CAT - friendly tester needed.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

MR2 with turbo, no cats at all, re-map, big fook off exhaust - erm good luck   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

My MR2 with TTE turbo - Its has TUV approved metallic pre cats and a stock CAT so I am all right jack. (I hope)   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

onion86

Quote from: "stargazer30"MR2 with turbo, no cats at all, re-map, big fook off exhaust - erm good luck   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
I find my friendly tester works there too  s;) ;) s;)

I agree on the rest, A lot of people will have a gutted stock manifold and there's no way they'd know they're gone in there unless you tell them. They don't take plastic nappies off to check under the car for an MOT so they're not going to go taking out o2 sensors that they could break and potentially have to replace.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dcod

My car only just passed the emissions test. My garage said that if they took the car in again, did another test, it would probably be very different. The emissions test is not what you call 'accurate'.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Steve Green

Guys, if you have not already, have a look at http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40064&p=473561#p473561 and the way things are going.
I knew changes were afoot but not this quickly.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Treboeth

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "stargazer30"MR2 with turbo, no cats at all, re-map, big fook off exhaust - erm good luck   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
I find my friendly tester works there too  s;) ;) s;)

I agree on the rest, A lot of people will have a gutted stock manifold and there's no way they'd know they're gone in there unless you tell them. They don't take plastic nappies off to check under the car for an MOT so they're not going to go taking out o2 sensors that they could break and potentially have to replace.

I agree 2 of the 3 advisories on my mot were unable to chech due to nappy and engine covr.

Take it to another tester as advised and see how you get on.

Mike_V

Quote from: "stargazer30"Well based on my research...

MR2 with turbo, no cats at all, re-map, big fook off exhaust - erm good luck   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

My 2000 car passed with this kit with flying colours, not an issue! Does it vary so much?
:
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Dyn-Evo

When I took my V6 for MOT in April (after the "New" regs came in), the guy told me that the regs were proposed, and had been put back.......he also said that most MOT testers are confused as to what is supposed to be changing, what has changed and how to interpret the new laws......

Upshot is, my V6 with no CAT whatsoever passed the test:  "all good" was what the tester said to me when I walked in to collect the car....!  s:D :D s:D  

And no...this wasn't a "friendly" MOT test centre...it was one that just happened to be round the corner from where I was working...... First time Id' ever walked in there....!

As mentioned: a reading's a reading. I think virtually ANY engine in good condition will pass the basic test: and the various figures for post 2001 cars are derived from a new car with new CAT's. They allow 20%-ish for acceptable wear'n'tear over time..?   s:? :? s:?  
The original emissions tests were introduced for this exact reason: to get the "smokers" off the roads....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I think they're certainly going to pinch the emissions figures down as the years go by, basically forcing people to buy new cars, as any significant engine wear will be detrimental to readings?

It''ll boost the rebuilt engines industry, though......and we must look on the bright side (theres ALWAYS a plus point!) : you get more power from a rebuilt engine...!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

ray835

well i took it for a re-test after son-in-law  who's a mech did a bit of tweeking  and it failed again ! the cats ^*&$ed ...so ithink it,s bout time i treated her so new cat and a shiny s/steel twin tip cobra exhaust should be here on tuesday.....can't wait   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

ray835

as you all know my 2 failed on emissions on its mot so got a new cat which cost me £284 plus a nice cobra s/steel twin pipe system total outlay with all the bits nearly £800 in total took it back this morning for a re-test and guess.......... yup the f%*$@*g T^*%$ failed it yet again   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

chris3boro

Engine issue? Bet it at least sounds nice now...?   s:? :? s:?  Not that that's much use if you cant use the car on the road

ray835

he recon's it's chucking in to much fuel............it's drives perfectly and its good on fuel..........
it's now out of the 10 day re-test time limit so i shall be taking it elsewhere .
to a friendly tester to get it back ont road and then sort problem out with a diagnostic check

Two's Company

Mine failed on emissions yesterday. Took it for a blast up the motorway to clear the crap out and warm up the cat and it passed when I got back. Assume you tried that?

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Topics merged .... they are the same topic really [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

So you took it back to the original mot tester who was full of sh-t?

You would probably get an engine light if it was running rich, and running rich is nothing to do with the catalyst.
You have cleaned the maf and reset the ecu?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ray835

Quote from: "Two's Company"Mine failed on emissions yesterday. Took it for a blast up the motorway to clear the crap out and warm up the cat and it passed when I got back. Assume you tried that?
new cat from ces exhausts . maf sensor also cleaned

loadswine

You may need a new maf. They don't last forever, so could be up for replacement.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ray835

iv'e now got a brand new MOT   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

thekickinside

and you achieved this miracle......how....(apart from leaving son in law at home...)

Anonymous

Come on,finish the story properly!   s:? :? s:?

Tags: