SMT warning lights and stalling

Started by woolleydick, September 11, 2012, 07:50

woolleydick

Yesterday whilst driving down the local high street the red and amber warning lights came on and the gear indicator display went blank. When I had to stop due to traffic it stalled. I could restart the engine as normal but idle was very rough and I needed to keep some light pressure on the accelerator to keep the idle speed up and prevent it stalling.

I finally managed to park and left the car to calm down for 15 minutes while I had a quick look in the engine bay for any obvious loose wires or components (none found). It then started as normal and the red light had gone out but the amber remained on. I took it straight home and it drove perfectly normally with the gear indicator working as normal.

My code reader is yet to be delivered (hopefully in the next day or two) - any clues or suggestions?
Common sense is merely what is obvious to you, and that you assume should be obvious to everyone else...

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "woolleydick"My code reader is yet to be delivered (hopefully in the next day or two) - any clues or suggestions?

Wait for the reader, read the codes and then work out what to do.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

woolleydick

Good timing the postman just arrived with the code reader!

P1646 & P1647 - SMT Specific, ECU no communications with transmission.

No warning lights now either - should I clear the codes now I know the error message?

Any idea where to start looking for a source for this problem? I am guessing there must be something in the loom that links the 2 computers (SMT & ECU)?
Common sense is merely what is obvious to you, and that you assume should be obvious to everyone else...

Anonymous

Can't help you on your specific problem as I have little or no interest in the SMT but have a read of this to get a better understanding of how your system works.    m http://www.ariclim.com/files/mr2spyder/SMT.pdf m

woolleydick

LOBryan - many thanks - very instructuve, much appreciated.

woolleydick

Latest update - have managed to remove the air filter box (many thanks Cap from Spyderchat) and the fluid in the HPU reservoir is very low.

No chance to buy more fluid here on a Sunday, so update tmrw.

mr-ed_smt

Find out where its gone before you top it up with expensive new fluid!
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Tags: