The 2012/13 winter tyre thread

Started by stargazer30, September 18, 2012, 13:57

stargazer30

Ok peeps I know I'm early but the days are growing shorter, average temps up here are 10Degrees and slowly falling towards the 7Degree threshold when your summer rubber stops working so well.  So its time to start considering this stuff if you need to drive your MR2 in all weathers.  Remember winter tyres are a bugger to get for the MR2 and sell out before winter usually!

In my case my spare set of knackered pre-facelift wheels with Kumho winters on them have gone off to SEM today for a refurb ready to go on the 2 when the weather finally goes all dark wet and cold.

Even if you don't need/care about winter rubber this thread serves as a drive safe reminder for all MR2 owners as the winter cold draws in so we can hopefully avoid the peak of "OMG I binned my MR2" threads we see each winter.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AckersMR2

Quote from: "stargazer30"the peak of "OMG I binned my MR2" threads we see each winter.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
and I'd thought we'd had a lot of that in the summer!
My only car is a Ducati 

celmacmat

Funnily enough I thought about this today. Looking for a second set of wheels first   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

chris3boro

Quote from: "AckersMR2"I'd thought we'd had a lot of that in the summer!

The what??!!

doogz

I have a spare set of wheels, and I'd thought of getting some winter tyres for them, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

OP, you say they're a bugger to get, what's available in 'our' size? Nokian? Vredestein? What else?

Cheers

Wabbitkilla

Winter tyres are just too much trouble to get, just have tyres with a decent amount of tread on and drive according to the conditions!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

stargazer30

Quote from: "doogz"OP, you say they're a bugger to get, what's available in 'our' size? Nokian? Vredestein? What else?

Cheers

The two probs are;
1. The MR2 has wider tyres rear vs front.  So getting winters in the correct stagger can be a problem.  
2. Facelift alloys, the larger rim size on the rear makes it even harder to get matched winter tyres.

So for folks looking for a 2nd set of winter alloys, I would go for pre-facelift ones where they are 16" all round.  I was able to get Kumhos in the correct stagger for a reasonable price (£300) last year on pre-facelift alloys.  Also generally pre-facelift alloys are much cheaper to get 2nd hand.  I only paid £50 for mine   s:D :D s:D  

On the plus side you get your money back in the long run given your tyres last longer as they do less miles per year per tyre   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AckersMR2

Aren't pre facelifts 15" all round?
My only car is a Ducati 

stargazer30

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Aren't pre facelifts 15" all round?

yeah I'm tired, the facelifts are 16" rear, 15" front.  My bad, but the same still applies.

doogz

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "doogz"OP, you say they're a bugger to get, what's available in 'our' size? Nokian? Vredestein? What else?

Cheers

The two probs are;
1. The MR2 has wider tyres rear vs front.  So getting winters in the correct stagger can be a problem.  
2. Facelift alloys, the larger rim size on the rear makes it even harder to get matched winter tyres.

So for folks looking for a 2nd set of winter alloys, I would go for pre-facelift ones where they are 16" all round.  I was able to get Kumhos in the correct stagger for a reasonable price (£300) last year on pre-facelift alloys.  Also generally pre-facelift alloys are much cheaper to get 2nd hand.  I only paid £50 for mine   s:D :D s:D  

On the plus side you get your money back in the long run given your tyres last longer as they do less miles per year per tyre   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah I'm aware of the sizes, just wondered what was available?

Like I said, probably won't bother, but I would recommend them.

frogger

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Winter tyres are just too much trouble to get, just have tyres with a decent amount of tread on and drive according to the conditions!

This really should be enough in an MR2 in winter. And if it gets to snow and you're going properly off the beaten path then RWD, whilst hilarious, is not the way forward.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "doogz"I have a spare set of wheels, and I'd thought of getting some winter tyres for them, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

OP, you say they're a bugger to get, what's available in 'our' size? Nokian? Vredestein? What else?

Cheers

Assuming pre-facelift - 2 x Fronts and 2 x rear Kumho KW23 will cost you around £230 at the moment (cheaper than last year) - I have them and can highly recommend them - They are not snow tyres, they are winter tyres, excellent from November to March in any of the following conditions - Cold, wet, rainy, greasy, frosty icy, snowy or even wet autumn leaves and tractor droppings.

Absolutely worth getting if you want to use the car in Winter - While they are on the car, the Summer set are not wearing either so the only real cost is fitting them. Kentsmudger Recommended!

[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

DannyN

I've got winter tyres for the family car (Altea) and the difference is quite staggering once the weather gets inclement. Definitely say it's worth the hassle to track a set down if you can.  It's not just about 'driving to conditions' as people post sometimes it's about getting out of the way of the idiot or stopping because of them!
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

AckersMR2

Down here we don't really have to worry too much about winter, I think last winter I had a light frost on the car twice and if in the unlikely event it does snow its usually gone by 9am. It wouldn't surprise me if the weather this winter will be better than the summer we've just had, spring certainly was? (I've probably jinxed it now  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  )
My only car is a Ducati 

doogz

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Down here we don't really have to worry too much about winter, I think last winter I had a light frost on the car twice and if in the unlikely event it does snow its usually gone by 9am. It wouldn't surprise me if the weather this winter will be better than the summer we've just had, spring certainly was? (I've probably jinxed it now  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  )

Suppose the regional differences can be quite significant.

My windscreen was frozen this morning, and I'm not any further north than Glasgow. We're expecting BIG snow again this winter.

stargazer30

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Assuming pre-facelift - 2 x Fronts and 2 x rear Kumho KW23 will cost you around £230 at the moment (cheaper than last year) - I have them and can highly recommend them - They are not snow tyres, they are winter tyres, excellent from November to March in any of the following conditions - Cold, wet, rainy, greasy, frosty icy, snowy or even wet autumn leaves and tractor droppings.

Absolutely worth getting if you want to use the car in Winter - While they are on the car, the Summer set are not wearing either so the only real cost is fitting them. Kentsmudger Recommended!

Yes this is what I've got too and echo those comments.   We are dealing with a car that likes to kick its arse end out when it looses grip and once it does its not very easy to correct.  Summer tyres loose grip as temps go below 7Degrees so for people like me having to drive early morning in the cold/wet on the A19, snow or no snow once it gets cold, on they go.

carolineasb

Snap Doogz, freezing here to the West of Glasgow!!  The trouble with having 2 sets of tyres is that many people do not have the storage space for them.  My 2 will likely be hibernating soon in the Garage once I clear out the Garage, that is!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

dcod

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Down here we don't really have to worry too much about winter, I think last winter I had a light frost on the car twice and if in the unlikely event it does snow its usually gone by 9am.

Have you forgotten the two winters we had before last winter? Does -8 ring a bell?

Bournemouth, Clifftop 2010/11

Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

RichieK

I'm fitting winter tyres to my MR2 this winter.

Last winter I had an Impreza - I fitted Toyo Snow Prox all round, the improvement in cold/wet/frosty/snowy conditions was epic!

I have to drive a lot of untreated back roads so I need as much grip as I can get.
04\' Roadster with a little bit of this and that.

Graphic & Web Design: http://www.keeble.uk.com/

doogz

Quote from: "carolineasb"Snap Doogz, freezing here to the West of Glasgow!!  The trouble with having 2 sets of tyres is that many people do not have the storage space for them.  My 2 will likely be hibernating soon in the Garage once I clear out the Garage, that is!

I'm from Elderslie originally, you can't be far away from there!

Quote from: "RichieK"I'm fitting winter tyres to my MR2 this winter.

Last winter I had an Impreza - I fitted Toyo Snow Prox all round, the improvement in cold/wet/frosty/snowy conditions was epic!

I have to drive a lot of untreated back roads so I need as much grip as I can get.

Forrestburn fun day this Sunday, you going along?

RichieK

Quote from: "doogz"Forrestburn fun day this Sunday, you going along?

Hey mate  s:) :) s:)

Possibly... I've got a wedding reception on Sat night so may be on poor form  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  If I'm not feeling too rough I'll probably be there   s:D :D s:D

doogz

I'll maybe see you there then. I've got some welding to get done but I'll hopefully be along for an hour or so.

AckersMR2

Quote from: "dcod"Bournemouth, Clifftop 2010/11

Pah, that was all gone by lunchtime  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

carolineasb

dcod, I've never seen Bournemouth like that!!!  Always been glorious weather when I've been there!

Doogz, yes indeed, I'm just outside Johnstone going towards Bridge of Weir but originally a Paisley Buddie!  One of my friends lives in Elderslie.

RichieK, that's funny my Cousin, Jack, is getting married in Edinburgh on Saturday!  It would be really spooky if that's where you are going lol!!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

RichieK

Quote from: "carolineasb"RichieK, that's funny my Cousin, Jack, is getting married in Edinburgh on Saturday!  It would be really spooky if that's where you are going lol!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  that would have been!

It's one of my GF's friends... James.

Here's my old tyres incase anyone might be interested...

Tags: