The 2012/13 winter tyre thread

Started by stargazer30, September 18, 2012, 13:57

jebjeb

It's a shame about short sighted policies on company cars that limit things like that. Especially if you're doing the mileage or are out and about and get stuck.

mrzwei

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Tbh I would love a set of winter tyres on the Audi, these modern eco friendly tyres are shocking in snow. However it's a company car and they won't let you do anything sensible like that.

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby

Funny you should mention that, winter tyres have been a legal requirement in Germany for years. I drove company motors there for several years, sometimes bought as part of a fleet and sometimes leased. The tyres were NEVER changed on any of the cars in fact most of them weren't even serviced.  You can lead a horse to water ......

My daughter had to fit them in Luxembourg, and my other daughters partner had to fit them in Germany to pass the TUV test. How long before that is a rquirement here?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

jebjeb

Ordered a set of Quadrac 3 all-seasons to run until it gets warmer. Should have them on next week and will report back on how they go.  Will be interesting on how they feel compared to the Toyos (the forum favourites T1R proxes), especially in the dry.

Wabbitkilla

I've driven in winter and snow in T1-Rs, GSD3s and Marangoni Zeta Lineas.

Toyos were pretty poor but survivable.
GSD3s were actually ok.
Marangonis were ok too.

No doubt not as good as winter tyres but I survived anything from frost, to solid ice, to 12 inches of snow. Though 12 inches of snow presents other problems to a car as low as mine  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Never got stuck, but admitted defeat in one place, that was a strap hill nothing but a properly prepared 4x4 would have got up. In fact I drove past some 4x4s in snow where they had given up and I just carried on ok on the GSD3s.

I'm totally with you that winter tyres are great, if you have the space to store them out of season. But I can survive without them thankyou and I find the hype "you must have winter tyres", quite annoying obviously. Note that I am an absolute stickler to matched tyres and proper stagger, if you do otherwise it's your funeral ... unless you take someone with you  s:( :( s:(

Yes I am extremely lucky to have a company car, which helps me through the worst of the weather if I need it. But I haven't always had it and have driven the MR2 in all conditions at all hours. So I completely understand you all.

If I could have a full set of winter wheels.and tyres ... nee snow tyres on the Audi I would be happier and would also likely have a huge amount of fun  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Whatever you do, be safe and be careful out there.

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

mrzwei

Just remember that it's not the number of accidents that are important, it's compounded by the number of near misses. Insurance company research will show that for every accidend there will be a significant number of 'close shaves'; whether or not there is an accident is a matter of chance. That's why the airline industry and the rail industry are required to log 'near misses'.
I recently won a significant (for me) argument which saved £190 NCB based upon that.
Think about how many times you nearly lost it!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

mrzwei

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   pushed the wrong key!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

trickyD

+1 to what Kentsmudger said
Winter tyres FTW!
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

steve b

If I was getting winter tyres which I'm not due to the fact you can't get them for motorbikes on which I commute.  I'd go to pre facelift wheels and the narrowest fitment, I don't know what standard pre face lift is by 195/50 all round sounds ideal, maybe even 185's you want narrow to cut through standing water and snow.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

trickyD

I think I'm shying away from that approach because they won't be on the car only on snowy and slushy days, rather late bob to early march (<7 degrees). So will spend a lot of time on dry roads being abused like a summer tyre would at 99% lateral cornering force.
I therefore don't want to upset the perfect balance and progression I get from the current 215/45/16 and 185/55/15 combo the FL runs. I understand that the ultimate grip might be less than my summer tyres but I want it to behave the same. Running the same width front and rear is going to promote oversteer.
Just the way I look at it.

Bits for sale!

kentsmudger

Quote from: "steve b"If I was getting winter tyres ...  I'd go to pre facelift wheels and the narrowest fitment, I don't know what standard pre face lift is by 195/50 all round sounds ideal, maybe even 185's you want narrow to cut through standing water and snow.
Not really a good plan - Winter tyre treads do the cutting through and winter is when you need to be finding the best grip and balance on poor road conditions - My advice would be to use the closest available to stock tyre sizes and maintain the stagger.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

+1
This is my plan now.

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Update.
I went for Falken 439's in the end and they perform very well in the cold/wet/damp (no snow yet).
The rears are 205 but I haven't noticed any reduction in grip at the back.

Bits for sale!

trickyD

I still have my Falken 439 winters on now (August) and they are still running well, no under/over steer and no excessive wear. The blocks are a bit more squishy than the Bridgestones, stealing some of the feel. But they are certainly safe!

Bits for sale!

Tags: