One calliper or four...

Started by ChrisGB, February 12, 2011, 00:28

ChrisGB

My offside rear calliper is binding. Looking today, it seems the cable releases OK, but the calliper is holding quite a bit. Here is the question, given Toyota's reputation for crap brake callipers that seize earlier than most, do we reckon it is worth doing all four corners while I am at it?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

uktotty

one L or 2

loadswine

That was the question I asked myself a while ago when I got my red one. I decided it was best to go for a complete freshen up and had BiggRed rebuild the lot.
You have no need to worry later down the line then, plus you can opt for a nice finish too.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ChrisGB

Quote from: "uktotty"one L or 2

Both are good according to OED. Question is one calliper or four though.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "loadswine"That was the question I asked myself a while ago when I got my red one. I decided it was best to go for a complete freshen up and had BiggRed rebuild the lot.
You have no need to worry later down the line then, plus you can opt for a nice finish too.

I really fancy some red ones, but the paint insulates the metal and helps it hold heat. Given my recent power upgrade, I reckon this to be a bad thing. I was thinking of getting four Budweg refurbs and fitting them. Works out around £270 for parts.

Chris

loadswine

Its a similar price, so if it suits, go for it. Not had an issue with the powder coat myself, but if that's an important factor, then the Budwegs should do the job.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "loadswine"Its a similar price, so if it suits, go for it. Not had an issue with the powder coat myself, but if that's an important factor, then the Budwegs should do the job.

The Budwegs generally come with really nice slides and seals, better than I could do with a rebuild kit, and are often better than the OEM because of this. It is going to be an expensive month  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Chris

Anonymous

Are the rear calipers different on facelifts as Brakes int give 2 different prices for the budwegs for post and pre facelift?

kentsmudger

Quote from: "loadswine"That was the question I asked myself a while ago when I got my red one. I decided it was best to go for a complete freshen up and had BiggRed rebuild the lot...
Me too - I figured they are all the same age, so swapped out the lot for BiggRed refurbs. You don't have to do coloured coating with theirs though.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

loadswine

Yes, that's true, forgot about that. Don't they do a kind of anodised finish as standard?

normanh

Chris

May pay to do an axle pair on the back, I think fronts are always less of a problem anyhow.

norman

ChrisGB

Quote from: "normanh"Chris

May pay to do an axle pair on the back, I think fronts are always less of a problem anyhow.

norman

It would make sense. Having said that, I have always found my car to work the insides of its front discs harder than the outsides, so the pins are possibly sluggish anyway. I know they are rebuildable, but for the price of fronts, it is worth doing them at the same time.

Chris

markiii

do you want a spare set to send off and give me your old ones later?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"do you want a spare set to send off and give me your old ones later?

Thanks for the offer Mark. I think Brakes international just hold a £50 deposit for the old ones, so will most likely do that. Will let you know if I need a stand in set.

Chris

frogger

On all MR2's (Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3) the rears are much much more problematic than the fronts.

It may well be a good plan to sort the rears at the same time, but in my opinion doing the fronts aswell is definitely overkill (and a waste of cash!). It's normal for the fronts to cause marginally more wear on the inner edge on a single-sided piston design - If you think it's worth it best thing to do here is just clean up the slider pins and re-grease with red rubber grease, inspecting everything as you go. If no rubber seals are torn, and nowt corroded, then theres no need to replace usually.

Anonymous

Anyone know if there is a difference between pre and post facelift rear calipers? I assumed they were the same.

Goeman

They do have slightly different parts numbers on Toyodiy. Prefacelift end in 17120 and post end in 17160. No clue what the difference is though.
Russell

JiMR2

hey Chris where are you getting your calipers from ? Been looking on Camskill but they want 90 a pop!?
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Brakes international
Chris

JiMR2

Damn my powers of observation are wanning... Cheers...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
AKA Cinnamon Jim

loadswine

Brakes International should give the club a discount with so many members going to them.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

frogger

Quote from: "JiMR2"hey Chris where are you getting your calipers from ? Been looking on Camskill but they want 90 a pop!?

IIRC Brakes Int' were still about £95 all in last time I checked (which was a while ago), I think the online catalogue doesn't add up the VAT and delivery charge until the final checkout - site is busy atm so can't verify this...

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"Are the rear calipers different on facelifts as Brakes int give 2 different prices for the budwegs for post and pre facelift?

They give a price of £90.78 for prefacelift and £78.01 for post facelift which is why I have been asking if there was a difference which no one has been able to give a definitive answer.

markiii

There is no difference
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Just ordered the rear axle set for now, will probably just service the pins on the front. Used Brakes International, £78 per calliper, plus £60 per calliper refundable surcharge to send the old ones back.

Chris

Tags: