Which oil @ 80k?

Started by Pete C, September 20, 2012, 18:29

Pete C

Hi all! Just bought the car, a 2002 (52) pre-facelift and it's due a service, just wondered what people's opinions were on oil? The car doesn't appear to be burning any, or very little anyway, no blue smoke of any kind.

Worth sticking with the recommended 5w30 or go for something thicker? I've always driven older cars do I tend to go for a 10w40 so it's harder to get past the rings... Thoughts?  s:) :) s:)

roger

Welcome to the Club Pete,

Personally I go for a "good" fully synthetic oil, not worth compromising.   I use 10W-40,  Fuchs Titan Race Pro.

Have a look at Oilman in Commercial Sales, he has given many tips, and I'm sure some will apply to you!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

nathanMR2

+ 1 for the Fuchs
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

PeteT

I am currently using the Toyota oil included in the service kit from CTP (Cheap Toyota Parts) in the affiliates section. I am very happy with it and would use it again.

btw my car is approached 80k aswell
Pete

dcod

Quote from: "nathanMR2"+ 1 for the Fuchs

+2
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Jon_G

I've only ever used Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and stock up whenever Halfords are selling it cheap (even better since it became fully synth). Had the car from new (2003) and it's done over 70k miles... sounds & runs perfectly and never needs a top-up!

nathanMR2

We have only heard bad things about Magnatec especially on our cars. Steer clear   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Jay67

Quote from: "nathanMR2"We have only heard bad things about Magnatec especially on our cars. Steer clear   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
agreed and +3 for the Fuchs
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Jon_G

Quote from: "nathanMR2"We have only heard bad things about Magnatec especially on our cars. Steer clear   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Hmm, yes it does appear to be the 'done thing' to knock Magnatec - but I've never seen any evidence that it's anything other than a decent oil. In my opinion, the use of comparatively expensive top-of-the-range engine oils (e.g. Fuchs) is quite wasteful unless the vehicle is being used for track purposes.

Nevertheless, if someone can supply a link to something credible and experience-based that explains in engineering terms what's actually wrong with using Magnatec for normal road use, then I would be grateful. It seems that most folk "have heard bad things..." without any negative experiences to back it up!

dj2k21

Valvoline is my choice have and only ever will run mine on Valvoline. I love it and it's all my tuner uses and he builds very powerful cars so I trust him completely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Mike_V

Quote from: "dj2k21"Valvoline is my choice have and only ever will run mine on Valvoline. I love it and it's all my tuner uses and he builds very powerful cars so I trust him completely.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

+1
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

mrzwei

Quote from: "Jon_G"
Hmm, yes it does appear to be the 'done thing' to knock Magnatec - but I've never seen any evidence that it's anything other than a decent oil. In my opinion, the use of comparatively expensive top-of-the-range engine oils (e.g. Fuchs) is quite wasteful unless the vehicle is being used for track purposes.

Nevertheless, if someone can supply a link to something credible and experience-based that explains in engineering terms what's actually wrong with using Magnatec for normal road use, then I would be grateful. It seems that most folk "have heard bad things..." without any negative experiences to back it up!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  We have indeed been here before on more than one occasion!
Amongst all ot the 'bad things' responses I remember that one person was able to provide a link to some research that suggested a possible fall off in performance at sustained high revs (or something similar) and I think that that was semi-synthetic (if it ever was) and the 'research' was less than scientific ie there was no 'control'.

I agree that if you 'track' the car or it is modified and you use the performance to the full then an oil upgrade should, in many ways, be the first mod.

It was generally agreed that for normal use regular oil and filter changes were more important than a specific brand of oil.
I use Halfords own (which may well be Magnatec) for all three of mine and change it at 6k.
When I had my 2, the two local Toyota dealers used it for all servicing.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Jay67

Quote from: "Jon_G"

It isn't the 'done thing' to knock Magnatec, we're all grown ups and done plenty of reading up about it and made our own minds up not to use it. It's not just on here that people have had bad experiences with it, try the Audi, V.W., MX5, Alfa forums for a start, also some motorbike forums. Plenty of people had problems with noisy engines after using it. I tried it myself a few years back, the stuff came out thinner than it was when I put it in when it came to changing the oil! You'd be better off having a whizz in the oil filler! As for price I think you'll find Fuchs is the same price if not slightly cheaper than Magnatec . Still, each to their own, I'm not willing to take the risk going off previous experience.
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

petej

I ran my abused Avensis on 10w40 magnatec without any problems at all and put 85000 miles on it without any
 problems at all. Same 1zzfe engine.

I am currently using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. If its good enough for Ferrari dealers its good enough for my wee little roadster!
Middle age syndrome is upon me!!  295hp 3.4l Porsche 987s is the new bigger boys toy.

ChrisGB

Magnatec used to be  sshit shit sshit e. It was a cheap n not very cheerful hydrocracked oil with a small ester synthetic content. If you ran it for a service interval, it came out with less lubricating power than dishwater. There are now several Magnatec oils, many of which are labelled fully synthetic. I wonder how these compare?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

mrzwei

OK, these oil threads wind me up   s:D :D s:D  

Can somebody PLEASE provide some EVIDENCE , other than 'word of mouth',  that Magnatec is an inferior oil or does not meet the specification it claims.
There may be many oils out there that perform in exactly the same way. To 'bad mouth' one in isolation without any EVIDENCE on an open forum is almost certainly libellous. Castrol aren't in the business of making oils that don't work.

The oil will be in a worse condition at the end of the recommended service interval, that's why it has a service interval!

I should've kept playing the guitar really, but heh   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

In answer to the OP's question, if it's not using any oil then stick with the viscosity recommended in the handbook. If it is starting to use oil then it may be worth switching to a thicker grade.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Jon_G

Quote from: "mrzwei"OK, these oil threads wind me up   s:D :D s:D  

Can somebody PLEASE provide some EVIDENCE , other than 'word of mouth',  that Magnatec is an inferior oil or does not meet the specification it claims.
There may be many oils out there that perform in exactly the same way. To 'bad mouth' one in isolation without any EVIDENCE on an open forum is almost certainly libellous. Castrol aren't in the business of making oils that don't work.

The oil will be in a worse condition at the end of the recommended service interval, that's why it has a service interval!

I should've kept playing the guitar really, but heh   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

In answer to the OP's question, if it's not using any oil then stick with the viscosity recommended in the handbook. If it is starting to use oil then it may be worth switching to a thicker grade.
+1
As I said, Magnatec is what was used during the cars first 3 years by Toyota, then by me for the next 6 years (changes are annual) and the engine still appears to be in 'as new' condition after 70k Miles (and has needed only a very minor repair to the timing chain tensioner in all that time). I'm not sure when Magnatec became fully synthetic, but it wasn't when the car was new. I honestly can't say that I've noticed it draining out at service time looking particularly watery or thin, even when compared with other oils I've used in many other vehicles over the last 30 years (I currently use Castrol Edge in my Honda Accord) and I am a reasonably experienced amateur mechanic, including motorsport experience (well, stock car racing). If I saw a good reason to stop using it, then I certainly would (it's me who would be rebuilding the engine!).

I have looked at other forum websites, and it's the same thing there - people randomly saying that Magnatec is useless, but failing to explain why this might be! And plenty of people speak highly of it...

I will be sticking with it, but would like to (politely) challenge people who say there's something wrong with Magnatec. Otherwise, I still think there is an element of 'being seen to be doing the done thing' that causes some to bad mouth it!!!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "mrzwei"Can somebody PLEASE provide some EVIDENCE , other than 'word of mouth',  that Magnatec is an inferior oil

As has been more or less said before, ask Castrol if they have a superior oil and it's a fair bet they will say 'Edge', which would make Magnatec inferior   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I ran my BMW air cooled twin motorcycle on Magnatec (car spec oil) for 30,000 miles and it seemed totally happy. However BMW air cooled twins are known for being able to circumnavigate the globe dozens of times on minimal maintenance, whereas MR2 1ZZs are more known for swallowing copious amounts of oil and trashing their big end bearings.  

Quote from: "Jon_G"(I currently use Castrol Edge in my Honda Accord)........................ If I saw a good reason to stop using Magnatec, then I certainly would (it's me who would be rebuilding the engine!).

Threads like this one below seem like a good reason to use Edge in your 2 aswell  - will probably only cost you around a tenner more (than magnatec) if you buy it at Asda

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40040 l
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "mrzwei"Can somebody PLEASE provide some EVIDENCE , other than 'word of mouth',  that Magnatec is an inferior oil

As has been more or less said before, ask Castrol if they have a superior oil and it's a fair bet they will say 'Edge', which would make Magnatec inferior   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Using that simplistic logic then Castrol should stop producing Magnatec.  Still no evidence.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "mrzwei"

Using that simplistic logic then Castrol should stop producing Magnatec.  Still no evidence.

Yes, was said slightly tongue in cheek, hence the   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I have used gallons of Magnatec, both in my motorcycle and in an Octavia 1.9TDI -  but they are both known to be very strong engines, so there is no compelling argument to use more than a mid price oil....................

Jon_G

Quote from: "mrzwei"...ask Castrol if they have a superior oil and it's a fair bet they will say 'Edge', which would make Magnatec inferior   s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ...

...Threads like this one below seem like a good reason to use Edge in your 2 aswell  - will probably only cost you around a tenner more (than magnatec) if you buy it at Asda
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40040.. l .

At first glance it's difficult to argue with the logic of the first part!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  However, I think it's a case of using an oil that's fit for purpose here. I use Edge in my Honda turbo diesel as it is a more demanding environent... the MR2 is a good step down from this (unless I want to use it for track purposes). Edge is really a good deal more expensive than Magnatec, as it is rarely sold with much discount (unlike Magnatec, which Halfords often discount heavily).

In the linked thread, there's no sign of anyone blaming Magnatec! Indeed you yourself did comment about the poor quality engine used in the roadster (I paraphrase), so unfortunately such failures aren't unusual.

I've see in many forums (not just here) that it isn't unusual for members to want to buy strangely expensive oils, tyres, brakes, weird bits of trim, etc, presumably because they feel a special affection for their vehicles, and it makes them feel good! I don't have this problem, so am happy to buy service parts/fluids that are 'merely' adequate - but that doesn't mean that I want to skimp by using cheap rubbish that will eventually cost me more in the long term.

I'm going to keep on using the oil that hasn't let down the car since it was new. I'm guessing that there aren't many members who have owned their vehicle as long as I have (and serviced/repaired it themselves, once out of warranty) and are fully aware of how it's always been looked after, and what's gone wrong through its entire life! Hopefully this doesn't sound too arrogant, but I think my experience here does count for something. Magnatec FTW!!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

ChrisGB

The only evidence I have for the original Magnatec being poor is that when you use it, the engine is excessively noisy when hot from early on in the service interval and changing the oil quietens the engine down again. This would infer that the oil had sheared down and lost some of it's viscosity. My father found this on one of his cars, I experienced similar when I bought my MR2 where the Toyota dealer had used Magnatec as the service fill. I put up with it for less than 1100 miles before dropping it out and replacing with Motul 300V chrono in the same 5W30 grade. This oil kept the engine quiet at high temperatures and, as with any high quality oil, when changing it at the end of the service interval, the engine gets no quieter.

The original Magnatec had a very small Ester content which allegedly helped protect engines in cold start scenarios. It was, as far as I know, a basic  mineral oil with the same shortcomings as any basic mineral oil, low shear resistance, poor detergency and poor thermal stability. Probably OK if you are going to potter around for 2000 miles and change it, but this is a sports car and if you want the best protection for your engine, a good quality fully synthetic is the way to go in terms of both lubricating the engine and keeping those oilways clear. How well the new Magnatec oils work is anybody's guess, but based on the lower price, I would guess they may be made from fine limit hydrocracked mineral oil (which can legally be described as synthetic). Maybe they are PAO based. However, the name puts me off trying them.

As for the comment above about expensive tyres, well again, you get what you pay for and the MR2 is more sensitive to tyres than your average shopping trolley car.

It is a sports car, you expect it to perform well. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Jon_G"I think it's a case of using an oil that's fit for purpose here. I use Edge in my Honda turbo diesel as it is a more demanding environent... the MR2 is a good step down from this (unless I want to use it for track purposes). Edge is really a good deal more expensive than Magnatec, as it is rarely sold with much discount (unlike Magnatec, which Halfords often discount heavily).

Don't know how big the discount is, but Edge at Asda is £5 more than the regular price of Magnatec at Halfords.

QuoteIn the linked thread, there's no sign of anyone blaming Magnatec! Indeed you yourself did comment about the poor quality engine used in the roadster (I paraphrase), so unfortunately such failures aren't unusual.

For all I know, the car was running on Castrol Edge when it went bang. The point I am trying to make is not that Magnatec is a poor oil, rather that the 1ZZ is a relatively weak engine, so it could probably do with all the help it can get.

QuoteI've see in many forums (not just here) that it isn't unusual for members to want to buy strangely expensive oils, tyres, brakes, weird bits of trim, etc, presumably because they feel a special affection for their vehicles, and it makes them feel good! I don't have this problem, so am happy to buy service parts/fluids that are 'merely' adequate - but that doesn't mean that I want to skimp by using cheap rubbish that will eventually cost me more in the long term.

Naturally how you drive and how often you change the oil are important factors, but with the 1ZZ merely adequate oil seems to me to be inviting merely adequate reliability, whatever that is.
I must admit that I am often amused by 'which oil ?' threads as they are always heavy on opinion and light on facts, given that contributors do not generally have an engine lab at their disposal. I am not in a position to bench test engine oils against their competitors for thousands of hours before stripping the motors either, I just know what you can buy Edge for at Asda, that Edge is probably better than Magnatec and that the 1ZZ is a fairly weak engine (by modern standards).

QuoteI'm going to keep on using the oil that hasn't let down the car since it was new. I'm guessing that there aren't many members who have owned their vehicle as long as I have (and serviced/repaired it themselves, once out of warranty) and are fully aware of how it's always been looked after, and what's gone wrong through its entire life! Hopefully this doesn't sound too arrogant, but I think my experience here does count for something. Magnatec FTW!!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I would definitely agree that in 2012 you have to try pretty hard to buy a genuinely poor oil (anyone running on tesco value 20 / 50 ?  s:) :) s:)  ) and that much more important than oil choice, is how the car is driven and how often the oil is changed. I get the impression that when newer the MR2 roadster was quite popular with a certain sort of owner who would think it OK to drive the car a mile one way to work and then a mile the other way to the shops, all year round and then every two or three years take it in for a 10,000 mile oil change   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  and I would guess that these are the sort of cars much more likely to suffer engine failures.

mrzwei

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"For all I know, the car was running on Castrol Edge when it went bang. The point I am trying to make is not that Magnatec is a poor oil, rather that the 1ZZ is a relatively weak engine, so it could probably do with all the help it can get.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Excellent argument,   s:D :D s:D   sticker for that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

K T M Rider

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"For all I know, the car was running on Castrol Edge when it went bang. The point I am trying to make is not that Magnatec is a poor oil, rather that the 1ZZ is a relatively weak engine, so it could probably do with all the help it can get.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Excellent argument,   s:D :D s:D   sticker for that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Glad you think so.

...........and for all you know, it might have gone bang 10k earlier on Magnatec   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: