Which oil @ 80k?

Started by Pete C, September 20, 2012, 18:29

Jon_G

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"For all I know, the car was running on Castrol Edge when it went bang. The point I am trying to make is not that Magnatec is a poor oil, rather that the 1ZZ is a relatively weak engine, so it could probably do with all the help it can get.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Excellent argument,   s:D :D s:D   sticker for that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Glad you think so.

...........and for all you know, it might have gone bang 10k earlier on Magnatec   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

...or, indeed, it might still be running perfectly, having also saved the owner a bit of money over the years  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  (sorry, couldn't resist).

Thank you for putting a good deal of time and effort into your replies. And maybe - when I finish my current stock of Magnatec - I'll treat the MR2 to Edge, just to see if I think it's quieter. I will be honest about what I find.

redcarblackhorse

So all in all Castrol Magnatec is not a good oil:-( and I thought it was being Castrol!
Better go and get myself something else then! Is Mobil 1 any good then?
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

Jon_G

Quote from: "redcarblackhorse"So all in all Castrol Magnatec is not a good oil:-( and I thought it was being Castrol!
Better go and get myself something else then! Is Mobil 1 any good then?
s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
*clears throat*
...No, hang on, I really can't be bothered.

mrzwei

There is nothing wrong with current day Magnatec.
If you modify your car or choose to track it or red line it at every opportunity then your first mod should be an oil upgrade.
Mobil 1, Helix, Fuchs or whatever else has been mentioned on here. If it's just the daily driver then Magnatec is as good as anything else and is probably what your main dealer uses. Castrol just don't market bad oil.

I'm fed up with this debate   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

redcarblackhorse

Quote from: "mrzwei"There is nothing wrong with current day Magnatec.
If you modify your car or choose to track it or red line it at every opportunity then your first mod should be an oil upgrade.
Mobil 1, Helix, Fuchs or whatever else has been mentioned on here. If it's just the daily driver then Magnatec is as good as anything else and is probably what your main dealer uses. Castrol just don't market bad oil.

I'm fed up with this debate   s:D :D s:D

I guess its down to personal prefernece - a bit like how loud is an exhaust! point taken;-)
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

Tags: