New car problems

Started by Cooki, October 9, 2012, 18:04

normanh

Yup for sure classic con I am affraid.

norman

Cooki

I'll report back tomorrow. And hopefully become an active member on here too  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

If you stick with the engine you want a very good warrentee just to be safe

mrzwei

Quote from: "Cooki"Anyway, after this bad luck, and through recommendations of the AA man, I found a place that would put a new engine in (at a cost of £920, car picked up and fitted).

Cooki

Obviously, get the car sorted first, but I would question the advice of the AA man with their head office. Were you asked who recommended you or anything like that or did he just give you the web address?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

normanh

Anyhow welcome to the site cooki. I hope you do get the car sorted ok. The 2 is such a pleasure to drive normally I covered just over 400 miles the weekend on a 2 day jaunt and loved it.

norman

Cooki

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "Cooki"Anyway, after this bad luck, and through recommendations of the AA man, I found a place that would put a new engine in (at a cost of £920, car picked up and fitted).

Cooki

Obviously, get the car sorted first, but I would question the advice of the AA man with their head office. Were you asked who recommended you or anything like that or did he just give you the web address?

The AA guy said the engine would either need to be stripped (got a quote touching £1500) or get a new engine. He didn't recommend places, I did the research myself and thought getting a recon engine would be better than one that had covered say 60k.

Cooki

Quote from: "normanh"Anyhow welcome to the site cooki. I hope you do get the car sorted ok. The 2 is such a pleasure to drive normally I covered just over 400 miles the weekend on a 2 day jaunt and loved it.

norman

Thanks Norman, hopefully it'll be drivable tomorrow, Christmas is now cancelled, so you all know now! I can't wait to finally drive it properly, changed a C2 VTS for it, and that was great to drive. But I'm taking the opportunity whilst its only my girlfriend & I to have a 2 seater

simers

Quote from: "Cooki"
Quote from: "mrzwei"

Cooki

The AA guy said the engine would either need to be stripped (got a quote touching £1500) or get a new engine. He didn't recommend places, I did the research myself and thought getting a recon engine would be better than one that had covered say 60k.
My engine was rebuilt at 126000kms as she's a japper... Best thing that could have happened in a way even tho a bit costly but was defo worth it... Hope ya get it sorted soon mate
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

StuC

Welcome along Cooki, sorry to hear about this. I hope it doesn't put you off the car.

BTW, from the ebay advert...
"ALL ENGINES COME WITH ALOT OF ADDITONAL EXTRAS" I am guessing they think a billable ECU is part of that   s:( :( s:(
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Cooki

Quote from: "simers"
Quote from: "Cooki"
Quote from: "mrzwei"Obviously, get the car sorted first, but I would question the advice of the AA man with their head office. Were you asked who recommended you or anything like that or did he just give you the web address?

My engine was rebuilt at 126000kms as she's a japper... Best thing that could have happened in a way even though a bit costly but was defo worth it... Hope ya get it sorted soon mate

I do too, feels like I'm missing my head!

Cooki

Quote from: "StuC"Welcome along Cooki, sorry to hear about this. I hope it doesn't put you off the car.

BTW, from the ebay advert...
"ALL ENGINES COME WITH ALOT OF ADDITONAL EXTRAS" I am guessing they think a billable ECU is part of that   s:( :( s:(

You think I could contest their views on charges?

mrzwei

To be quite honest, if they will guarantee that the car will work for 250 quid extra, then I'd pay the money and move on. Overall it will still be a cheapish fix, con or no con.
 I think it was Matt who quoted 'You haven't lost anything, you've just bought experience'.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Cooki

Quote from: "mrzwei"To be quite honest, if they will guarantee that the car will work for 250 quid extra, then I'd pay the money and move on. Overall it will still be a cheapish fix, con or no con.
 I think it was Matt who quoted 'You haven't lost anything, you've just bought experience'.

Fair point, I appreciate all the feedback on here. You've all been very helpful and nice

MattPerformance

Quote from: "mrzwei"I think it was Matt who quoted 'You haven't lost anything, you've just bought experience'.

Indeed it was, but it applies more to business than to life since I sincerely hope the OP won't be faced with this situation again any time soon in order to benefit from his recently purchased experience!

The "blown ECU" story is nonsense I'm sure but you're unlikely to get anywhere arguing with them.  Try to get some detail about what engine they've supplied (is it rebuilt if so by whom, if not how old/ how many miles).  And find out if they checked the pre-cats (and ideally removed them).  That level of oil consumption will probably have damaged them (so they might fail and either block the cat or possible be sucked back into the engine, if they haven't already).

Cooki

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "mrzwei"I think it was Matt who quoted 'You haven't lost anything, you've just bought experience'.

Indeed it was, but it applies more to business than to life since I sincerely hope the OP won't be faced with this situation again any time soon in order to benefit from his recently purchased experience!

The "blown ECU" story is nonsense I'm sure but you're unlikely to get anywhere arguing with them.  Try to get some detail about what engine they've supplied (is it rebuilt if so by whom, if not how old/ how many miles).  And find out if they checked the pre-cats (and ideally removed them).  That level of oil consumption will probably have damaged them (so they might fail and either block the cat or possible be sucked back into the engine, if they haven't already).

Its rebuilt by them, 247 Car Clinic. Its the outer block with brand new components. I'll ask them about the pre-cats, although, what are they? Thanks

dcod

Quote from: "Cooki"Its the outer block with brand new components. I'll ask them about the pre-cats, although, what are they? Thanks

The exhaust manifold contains 2 catalytic converters. They are only effective upon first start up to reduce emmisions. They are not required in the UK (at the mo). Your main cat IS required, which is further down the exhaust.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

normanh

Have you got the car back yet cooki?

norman

Tags: