Strut Bar Allen Key Size?

Started by Comer, May 24, 2004, 09:38

Comer

I fitted my JIC Magic front strut bar yesterday and I don't have a Allen key big enough to remove the centre bar (for cutting the plastic panel).

My largest of 6mm is too small by far.  Does anyone know what size Allen key fits the bolt? I suspect it is the same size as the bolt fitted to the Cusco.

Cheers
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Slacey

I couldn't tell you off hand Michael, but I have onr that fits (my Cuscio at any rate) and you're right, it's pretty big!
I'll check when I get home, unless someone else knows?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Found the right one, and it hasn't got any markings on it!
Best I could do was measure it against a ruler, and point to point across it is 8mm - HTH

GSB

Allen keys are measured across the flats. measure that and you'll have the size...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Across the 'flats' (I assume one of the six faces?) it's approximately 6mm

Who would have thought hex keys were so complicated!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

GSB

You measure from one side of the key to the other.

Hope this makes sense!

-------    ------------
     /                   ^
   /                 measure  
                 /      here
               /         v
       -------    ------------/
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Doh! Still got it wrong then!
If you haven't sussed it by tonight Michael, I'll measure again  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Comer

Cheers Sean.  My 6mm one had the size stamped on it and it was far too small.  Maybe the Cusco and JIC bars do have different sized bolts?
Michael

GSB

Micheal,

You can work out what size key you require in the same way, just measure across the hole from one flat to the other (i.e. not from corner to corner)

You could just buy a cheap set of allen keys, no-one buys single keys anymore...

Comer

Quote from: "GSB"Micheal,

You can work out what size key you require in the same way, just measure across the hole from one flat to the other (i.e. not from corner to corner)

You could just buy a cheap set of allen keys, no-one buys single keys anymore...

I did have a set from tiny up to 6mm.  But yes (previously) blonde me didn't think to measure it.  I would have probably done it corner to corner too   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Michael

Tags: