'2's good enough...

Started by scipio, October 14, 2012, 20:41

scipio

After reading about 1zz's, 2zz's, turbos, 6 cylinder motors and anything in between I have come to the conclusion that the motor is best left as it is (bar de-catting, of course).
Today was a case in point. Driving with the top down ... very nippy, very enjoyable, very responsive.
Where she wins is with acceleration, handling and braking....here she is better than 99% of other cars on the road.
Okay, she is not the fastest thing out there but mine has done 210km's/hr....which is fast enough for me.
Nothing more is really required - if you want more its going to cost and its going to require maintenance and its going to be a ball ache.
I'm happy with my '2 as she is.

I am sure there are some who have the time and money and the urge to tinker and experiment but as a daily drive I cannot afford this luxury.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  
I am also sure there are a lot of you who think I'm a $%^^## to make such a post but I thought I'd just put it out there.  s:D :D s:D  

Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

dj2k21

Just improve handling and brakes and enjoy. Makes a huge difference to be honest. Had my engine not blown I would not have turbod it and got the power I did. But I'm glad I did now. Never fails to make me smile  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

simers

210kmh??? I can only get 195  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I am only goin to lower mine put wider wheels on it and just change the look of it and maybe an engine transplant at some stage to turbo if money allows... I'm thinking 3sgte power but as is the car is fine for the minute... Enjoy it
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

scipio

Got 210k's on a straight piece of highway....late afternoon, no traffic between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Haven't done it again. This is going to sound insane....she would have done more...I backed off.
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

simers

Quote from: "scipio"Got 210k's on a straight piece of highway....late afternoon, no traffic between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Haven't done it again. This is going to sound insane....she would have done more...I backed off.
Must have been on a hill mate  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  any mods done???

onion86

I think they should go 210 maxed out so there would be a little more pulling at 210 but only because of the speedo being slightly out  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dcod

For me, the only 'must' mod to a standard 2 is a nice sounding exhaust. Driving experience is improved greatly.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Die$eL

lol Scipio, your garage looks Very similar to mine....

Stock 2 does have sufficient power, i agree!
Its not your top speed that counts but how quick u get to it...

[size=85]05 - XRSi - 160HP at the wheels (Reef) - 15.7 @ Tarlton - 3.12.2010
01 - MR2 Turbo - 339HP at the fly (Reef)
06 - Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab - 190HP (Reef) - 1/4 mile - TBC[/size]

scipio

Hey Die$eL!....it sure does. Two of the best Toyota's ever built .... I am a Toyota fan and would buy nothing else.  
With more than 50% of bakkies (Utility vehicles for Europeans) sold in SA being Toyota's....it says it all for me.
Pity we don't have such an active MR2 club here...and our country is a bit bigger....it would be difficult for members to get together.
Scipio

chris3boro

Lovely! More pics needed though!

scipio

Quote from: "onion86"I think they should go 210 maxed out so there would be a little more pulling at 210 but only because of the speedo being slightly out  s:) :) s:)
I have to agree...the speedo can be out by 15km/h at that speed.

Couple of years ago (before I got the MR2) I drove a friends A3 and was amazed at how quickly she got to 200...that was the fastest I had ever driven before.
That's why I wanted to push the '2, to see how she fared...at that speed there is very little left, as you say. The speedo had creeped up to 210 and would have creeped a bit further, but I had concluded the experiment and gathered the data I needed   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

What I have found is that the front can do with more down-force. I wanted to fit a ducktail on the back but I think that would make the problem worse - Any opinions? In terms of handling   s:?: :?: s:?:
Scipio

chris3boro

Quote from: "scipio"
Quote from: "onion86"I think they should go 210 maxed out so there would be a little more pulling at 210 but only because of the speedo being slightly out  s:) :) s:)
I have to agree...the speedo can be out by 15km/h at that speed.

Couple of years ago (before I got the MR2) I drove a friends A3 and was amazed at how quickly she got to 200...that was the fastest I had ever driven before.
That's why I wanted to push the '2, to see how she fared...at that speed there is very little left, as you say. The speedo had creeped up to 210 and would have creeped a bit further, but I had concluded the experiment and gathered the data I needed   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

What I have found is that the front can do with more down-force. I wanted to fit a ducktail on the back but I think that would make the problem worse - Any opinions? In terms of handling   s:?: :?: s:?:

These really aren't designed for high speed runs so it's going to feel a bit unstable/light at the front etc, I would have thought a rear wing would just make this more pronounced. Personally I'd focus on handling at 'real world' speeds-look at lowering springs, strut braces/braces under the car etc  s:) :) s:)

OldMan

Quote from: "scipio"What I have found is that the front can do with more down-force. I wanted to fit a ducktail on the back but I think that would make the problem worse - Any opinions? In terms of handling   s:?: :?: s:?:
Sometime in 2001 Toyota began fitting an air dam to the underside of the front bumper cover.  Without the air dam, the car wanders at highway speeds.  Check to see if your car has one.  If not, intsall one.  They can be attached with large (3/8" shaft) plastic push-pin rivits available at many hardware stores. The air dam part part number is 76851-17070.

More about the air dam here:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19650&p=242667
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

scipio

Thanks very much for that info, OldMan!
Scipio

scipio

@ dcod....mentioning a good exhaust sound and  @ Chris3boro, who wants to see more   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Scipio

simers

That's a sexy car mate

dcod

Quote from: "scipio"@ dcod....mentioning a good exhaust sound and  @ Chris3boro, who wants to see more   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Looks great. Prefer the sound of my Che though. Sound, of course, is in the ear of the beholder   s:D :D s:D  

I can see that you really look after her. Kudos to you.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

scipio

Thanks guys...yes, I try to look after her...she does not look 11 years old - she's in mint condition and I want to keep her that way.
If I had my way, I'll keep her forever   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Scipio

Die$eL

Quote from: "scipio"Hey Die$eL!....it sure does. Two of the best Toyota's ever built .... I am a Toyota fan and would buy nothing else.  
With more than 50% of bakkies (Utility vehicles for Europeans) sold in SA being Toyota's....it says it all for me.
Pity we don't have such an active MR2 club here...and our country is a bit bigger....it would be difficult for members to get together.

yip, i agree about the active club here in SA. The problem is that there were only a few hundred MR2 sold in the country. I cant remember if the figure was 200 or 500. either way, its not a lot.

However the Hilux, now thats a different story!!! At work i counted and out of the 80 or so parking bays in our office building, there are 9 hilux (all vigo shape)
Its not your top speed that counts but how quick u get to it...

[size=85]05 - XRSi - 160HP at the wheels (Reef) - 15.7 @ Tarlton - 3.12.2010
01 - MR2 Turbo - 339HP at the fly (Reef)
06 - Hilux D4D 4x4 D/Cab - 190HP (Reef) - 1/4 mile - TBC[/size]

Tags: