Installing engine mounts

Started by Tem, May 24, 2004, 20:54

Tem

Anyone changed their engine mounts..?

Just wondering if it can be done without any special tools. Like supporting the engine with a jack and changing them one at a time..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Thats how I'd do it Tem, I dont think you'll find any nasty surprises...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Anyone got the TRD engine mounts...?

I just got mine from US...and they look like stock parts with TRD sticker on them  s:? :? s:?  

I've had TRD mounts for two other cars and while they do look similar, they weren't identical. These are 100% identical to stock ones, hell, the "TRD" ones even have the stock Toyota part number on the rubber...

Could you tell the difference?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/TRDEngineMounts/ m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Anyone got the TRD engine mounts...?

I just got mine from US...and they look like stock parts with TRD sticker on them  s:? :? s:?  

I've had TRD mounts for two other cars and while they do look similar, they weren't identical. These are 100% identical to stock ones, hell, the "TRD" ones even have the stock Toyota part number on the rubber...

Could you tell the difference?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
 m http://koti.mbnet.fi/temmeke/TRDEngineMounts/ m

i hope you didnt pay much for them  :-) :-) :-)

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"i hope you didnt pay much for them  :-) :-) :-)

Less than half what they would be from Japan  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Anyway, got the last one in today...DMAN that one bolt made a good fight and didn't give up easily. Got one 1x1" bruise, one 2x2" bruise and a 1x3" bloody scratch where once used to be skin  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  And I won't even mention the few dozen smaller bruises and scratches, I look like I just got my ass kicked  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Didn't feel like driving the car, but they definitely make a difference at idle. I'll update the results in a day or two, if there's anything to mention.

Seems TRD uses the molds from Toyota to do the rubbers with harder compound. Few others from SC also noticed they have the stock part numbers on the rubbers...

GSB

Quote from: "Tem"Seems TRD uses the molds from Toyota to do the rubbers with harder compound. Few others from SC also noticed they have the stock part numbers on the rubbers...

No need to tell the insurance company then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

A bit late for this post.

Kerrie has the TRD engine mounts on her car, they do look stock!  The ride has completely changed, I have to say that there is a lot of vibration travelling through into her cabin, but that may because of the lack of a soft top as well.

Whats it like on yours?

Anonymous

thats the problemwith any 'stiffening' on our cars, we do drive potential rattle boxes unfortunately as with al soft tops

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Whats it like on yours?

I've only done some commuting and haven't really driven her yet, but...

Could be that I'm imagining things, but everything seems tighter and better. The reason I did this was that I used to get wheel hop when trying to launch from 0 and now that is gone. But somehow the whole car seems like I've added extra bracing all around. I guess the engine with harder mounts acts kinda like a brace for the lower engine bay..?

I don't really notice a major difference in the transition between acceleration and lifting the throttle, like many say one should notice with stiffer mounts.

Jap GT300

You definately get a better launch from the conditions the mounts give it.

I find the car is more tale happy but solid in it and you can hold it sideways for much longer.  As anyone will know who has followed behind me.

We had an event in Chelmsford and I had the car so sideways that the back was hanging over the kerb and I dented the exhaust   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It wasn't out of control though, it can just stay at the limit more and you forget how tight the roads are   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: