"the plastic bit" in the inlet that needs modding for turbo?

Started by stupink, October 22, 2012, 13:52

stupink

Read a few times about a bit in the std 1zz intake thats worth removing on turbo applications to prevent it potentially getting suckered into the engine.

i've got the inlet off the car now on the bench, but not really sure what needs removing :-  maybe mine has already had it removed... anyone got a pic of the bit before/after?

I tried to search but failed.
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

onion86

I'll be interested to find out what that is too as not heard about this before.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

spit

Don't think its a 'must-do' and I'm not sure who among us has done it.  I couldn't begin to tell you how to get to it but I'm sure someone will be along if they have.

Waaaay back, Sean (on the first UK Hass) had some pooled fuel in the intake which caused an intake explosion on startup. I believe it took out the bit you mention, although it took out a bit more besides!

Aside from freak issues like that, its perhaps not worth worrying about.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

There are two potential problem areas on the standard intake when you are turbo charging.
The weakest link is the pipe up to the MAF body with the "bellows" effect. This is designed to allow for the engine flexing in its mounts, under boost it has the tendancy to split.
The other perceived problem is the intake manifold itself, or rather the veining within it, MonkeyWrench and Thor make a big deal out of it ... but to be honest, only one turbocharged car has had a problem with it and that in itself was due to a leaking injector.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

stupink

The bellows are gone, mine has a 90degree steel pipe with built in MAF..  
the intake is now on my bench, so i suppose it makes sense to do it, but it seems what actually needs doing is a bit of a mystery lol..  looking into the inlet i can't see anything obvious.. and it appears to be a sealed unit that cannot be opened???

hopefully someone else has more of an idea??

I wanted to remove the inlet anyway to get a good look behind the engine as there was an electrical "bang" back there somewhere related to the car not starting when the previous owner had it, but I have checked all wiring and cannnot see anything wrong, so will just cross fingers and carry fire extinguisher :-/

aaronjb

I seem to recall that the only way is to cut the intake manifold open and then re-weld it afterward?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

dj2k21

I fixed this issue by adding an FPR. But I know MWR sell a modified inlet for this exact thing. It's a plastic tab inside that needs cutting away. Not essential though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

stupink

I don't believe it needs cutting open, the closest i've got so far is to see on the mwr page that "access is tight" hence why they supply them modified.  so from this it must be visible and accesable from either the ports or the inlet.. so... i need to charge up my torch lol.  i will post some pics.

I can certainly see though why some may have chose to cut it open and re-fix.

stupink

ok.. go out to do pictures, end up hitting it with hammer lol...  "plastic thing" found and removed.. pics to follow.

stupink

updated on my wip thread  s:) :) s:)   l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40700 l

Tags: