Braided hoses

Started by whiteknight72, October 23, 2012, 10:54

whiteknight72

Salut,
I'm looking at putting some braided hoses on my 06 mk3 as i've heard they are one of the best basic, cheapish mods you can do for the occasional trackday, so i was wodweing if anyone has any advice on what to get? I have looked at Goodrige Phantom hoses at circa £150 but there seem to be other Goodridge hoses at half the price with no real difference.....am i missing something and are there better options. I will obviously be changing and upgrading the fluid.
Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers.  s:D :D s:D    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
2006 MR2, MR02 plates,TTE twin exhaust, TTE style bar, TTE rear spoiler, decat/performance manifold, K&N filter, performance spark plugs/leads, high performance gearbox oil, fresh power steering fluid, Goodrich braided hoses, refurbished callipers/red, refurbished wheels/white, TRD valve caps, unique rare wood gear knob with TRD insert, EBC front drilled/grooved discs. Full underseal.MeisterR suspension all-round.

FGrob

Quote from: "whiteknight72"Salut,
I'm looking at putting some braided hoses on my 06 mk3 as i've heard they are one of the best basic, cheapish mods you can do for the occasional trackday, so i was wodweing if anyone has any advice on what to get? I have looked at Goodrige Phantom hoses at circa £150 but there seem to be other Goodridge hoses at half the price with no real difference.....am i missing something and are there better options. I will obviously be changing and upgrading the fluid.
Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers.  s:D :D s:D    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
It depends how you look after your car, I had the clear goodridge hoses fitted with the stainless steel fittings, they will outlast the car with no corrosion problems, you can get them with zinc plated carbon steel ends, which are certainly cheaper and will do exactly the same job but eventually they will corrode.

As for the Phantom range, I've just had a set for my Spit, they do seem a higher quality than the standard range I had fitted to the 2, I think they only come with stainless ends which would account for the higher, I must say they do look very smart.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

pmr01

I got the £90 goodridge option.

I have standard brake discs etc and upgraded to the hoses and ebc yellow stuff at the same time. All in it was just under £200 and as you say, totally transforms the braking. A huge recommend from me.

donnac

My car is currently in for a few jobs in the garage, one if the hoses has a split in it so though I'd be as well to upgrade to braided hoses as the discs and pads all seem fine and the callipers are moving freely.

Where is the best place to buy the goodridge kit?  Also what fluid should I use?

Thanks  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
2002 Blue Roadster

Mark A

Camskills have HEL ones for £55

onion86

HEL ones seem good, I've had them on quite a while now. A lot cheaper than the stainless Goodridge lines too.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

loadswine

+1 on the HEL lines, work well for me too.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

trickyD

I have the Phantoms on my other car as they were only £80 a set, I'm not sure why the MR2 is so much more. But it is.
They work really well, hard as a nut! We're very soft before.
I think the standard Goodridge lines should work fine even with the cheaper Zinc ends (as mentioned above).

Seem people rate the HEL as well, they are certainly cheaper and are well used in the motorbike scene. I've read a few concerns about fitting due to the unusual compression fittings. I can't recall if it was for MR2 or my other car, so just make sure they fit OK and there are no nasty surprises - though if Mr Wine has used them then it should be safe.   s:) :) s:)

I sure I saw some goodridge on eBay for £85
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: