Rusty Hubs/Discs?

Started by scottee, May 25, 2004, 19:09

scottee

I know there are a few threads with problems with rusty Hubs/Discs

Do you think that mine has the same problem? I dont have any problems, but it still worries me. Is this just surface rust thats normal (my 306 used to have it) or is it something I should be replacing?

m http://homepage.ntlworld.com/my_mr2/rusty.jpg m

markiii

to be honest 90% of those replaced have been cosmetic.

yours is symptomatic but I've seen worse.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

THEMOSS

Don't worry Scott, most have worse than that. Slap some silver caliper paint on the outside rim of the disks and the hubs themselves (though obviously not in the pad contact area!) You'll be amazed how good it looks, unless you get really close!
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Anonymous

Just a quick thing i thought i'd mention altho i'd prob not reccomend, the other day i got some AutoGlym Clean wheels (or whatever its called) on the disc, i used the brush to wipe it off....AND OFF CAME THE RUST!!

Now the stuff might eat into the disc so i washed it off, its only a short term fix, am sure peeps on here can tell you if its a bad idea.

James.

Anonymous

Oooohhhhh.....good point. That wheel cleaner is EVIL stuff and eats into anything. I might use some of that to remove the rust on the discs, wash thoroughly and then paint the hubs when Coley's GB for Caliper paint turns up! Nice one Buster! Just give me a good idea! (well, it was yours actually.............  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Darth Paul

Quote from: "John Woodward"Oooohhhhh.....good point. That wheel cleaner is EVIL stuff and eats into anything. I might use some of that to remove the rust on the discs, wash thoroughly and then paint the hubs when Coley's GB for Caliper paint turns up! Nice one Buster! Just give me a good idea! (well, it was yours actually.............  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Hummmmmm, and it wasn't Buster!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

DP

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"AutoGlym Clean wheels (or whatever its called) on the disc, i used the brush to wipe it off

Makes me wonder if a brush actually gets all of that off...if it doesn't, it will continue eating your discs  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Sorry DP!!! I thought it was! I was being a bit slow.............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

You're right Tem. It will carry on eating stuff, but it can be easily neutralised with copious amounts of water, so should be easy to wash off. Just make sure you thoroughly wash and dry and then paint quickly to prevent any more tarnishing..........

Tags: