Does the 1ZZ need the EGR?

Started by AndrewMason, November 1, 2012, 13:27

AndrewMason

Not sure if this is the right place but this forum is possibly where the knowledge is.

Hopefully this is not too stupid a question but...

Lots of talk on the PFL cat going west and killing the engine via the exhaust gas recirc valve. If this is the route then wouldn't it be a quick fix to fix the EGR shut? What is the downside - I believe it is designed to allow re-burn of exhaust during constant rpm so for most driving/performance no difference. Guess will be some reduction in mpg, can this be quantified?

Thanks.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

loadswine

There is no EGR valve on the Roadster engine. Valve overlap is used for exhaust scavenging, so no chance of an EGR delete I'm afraid.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dcod

EGR appears to be done via the timing.

QuoteAt medium load, the timing is in such a specific state that increased overlap increases internal EGR for pumping loss elimination. The effect being better fuel economy and improved emmision control.

m http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinfo/R ... S2zz-6.pdf m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

loadswine

Yep, that's pretty much what I said, valve timing.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dcod

Quote from: "loadswine"Yep, that's pretty much what I said, valve timing.

Indeed, sorry.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Tags: