Rattle from roof clasp

Started by ao30, November 19, 2012, 19:05

ao30

Hi all

This happens when the roof is up and both clasps are in the locked position. Over rough roads and bumps the passenger side clasp rattles quite loudly. I am certain it is this because if I unlock the clasp, whilst leaving it up against the top of the windscreen, and wiggle it side to side I can hear the same sound. However when it is locked in I cannot get it to rattle by wriggling it, yet over bumps it finds a way of doing it!

I have looked to see if there is anything to tighten etc but I cant see anything obvious. The passenger side makes the same sound when it is unlocked but doesnt seem to rattle when driving the car. Do your roof clasps rattle when driving or when unlocked and manipulated?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

trevsmr2

Lots of people have issues with the clasps ,they can be adjusted like this

1.  Open the catch
                               2.  On the metal part that hinges down you will see a "hexagon" shaped part about 10mm long. Un-clip this from its plastic housing and turn it clockwise 2-3 flats and try the catch again.
                               3. Keep doing this until the catch just "snugs" the top onto the rubber seal on the windowframe when you clamp it shut.
You will find that a small adjustment makes a big differance, just use trial and error to get it right.
  All 4 hardtop clamps and the 2 soft top clamps are the same.

This bit

scipio

Thanks for that very informative post, trevsmr2.....I've had the same problem.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

ao30

Great help, thanks!

no1trancefan

if i've got wind noise on driver side at high speed on the one side, do i adjust the front clasps or the ones at rear of hood. Im not sure whether i have to adjust all four the same or if can just mess with the adjustment on one

uktotty

I have always adjusted it where the noise is, try that and report back

no1trancefan

wind noise is coming from top of driver window on curved edge at front will try front right clasp first and report back

StephenBennett

I'm at the end of my tether (well, adjustment anyway!) and my clasps rattle when I go over bumps.

Strangely, opening and closing the clasps at speed seem to reduce/eliminate the noise. Not practical when driving alone though!

Not sure what to do - it's really annoying.

Regards

Stephen

trevsmr2

Quote from: "StephenBennett"I'm at the end of my tether (well, adjustment anyway!) and my clasps rattle when I go over bumps.

Strangely, opening and closing the clasps at speed seem to reduce/eliminate the noise. Not practical when driving alone though!

Not sure what to do - it's really annoying.

Regards

Stephen
You could try some packing on the bar that hooks under the clasp ,
someone on here did it user the plastic part of a lever arch file type thing,but i cant find the post right now

Anonymous

Quote from: "trevsmr2"You could try some packing on the bar that hooks under the clasp ,
someone on here did it user the plastic part of a lever arch file type thing,but i cant find the post right now

There you go   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  CLICKY

StephenBennett

Ohh thanks - will try that!

regards

no1trancefan

Quote from: "uktotty"I have always adjusted it where the noise is, try that and report back

after adjusting the clasp above the driver seat i adjusted it to full after some minor adjustments and still get wind noise i dont get it the passenger side even before or after adjusting that side. im assuming you are only supposed to adjust it as much with your hand as opposed to with a tool.  not sure what else to try. i seem to get more noise after adjusting it than before now some wind noise just above the top driver window front edge around 40 whereas it was 70 before. rubber seems in good condition.

locobuilder brian

Quote from: "trevsmr2"Lots of people have issues with the clasps ,they can be adjusted like this

1.  Open the catch
                               2.  On the metal part that hinges down you will see a "hexagon" shaped part about 10mm long. Un-clip this from its plastic housing and turn it clockwise 2-3 flats and try the catch again.
                               3. Keep doing this until the catch just "snugs" the top onto the rubber seal on the windowframe when you clamp it shut.
You will find that a small adjustment makes a big differance, just use trial and error to get it right.

This bit

Trev I have the same problem on my car, without hoping to seem thick could you elaborate on the "clockwise"?
Which end of the adjuster has the right hand thread? top or bottom?
Presumably the object is to shorten the adjuster?
I have had several attempts at adjusting but the rattle always returns in winter.
Regards Bri e

no1trancefan

mine is on full adjustment im starting wonder if my driver side door has dropped slightly as rubber surround looks fine and clean. how can i fix it if the window has dropped slightly eek

trevsmr2

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"
Quote from: "trevsmr2"Lots of people have issues with the clasps ,they can be adjusted like this

1.  Open the catch

This bit

Trev I have the same problem on my car, without hoping to seem thick could you elaborate on the "clockwise"?
Which end of the adjuster has the right hand thread? top or bottom?
Presumably the object is to shorten the adjuster?
I have had several attempts at adjusting but the rattle always returns in winter.
Regards Bri e

Sorry only just spotted this reply

As you look at the picture ,
turning the middle section to the right will lengthen the hooked bit ,
so turning to the left will tighten the roof down

no1trancefan

i think ive found problem on mine

the driver side plastic cover on the rubber has gone missing

passenger side has it..

driver side doesnt..

does anyone know if there is a part number for this im hoping i dont have to get the full rubber surround. thanks

StuC

Fairly sure it is the whole surround
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

trevsmr2

Quote from: "no1trancefan"i think ive found problem on mine

does anyone know if there is a part number for this I'm hoping i dont have to get the full rubber surround. thanks

See if you can find it on here ,then look up the part number on toyodiy ,for a better pic

m http://www.mr2ner.com/files/00-05_parts_list.pdf m  

m http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=&mE=on&mJ=on&mG=on m

this part has been mentioned before on here, so a search might bring up the subject ?

no1trancefan

ive done a search found a thread but the links are now dead as it was an old post. i contacted toyota dealership but they cant locate it only the rubber strip. haivng searched the forums it appears the clips have fell off a number of vehicles or got bent in the doors and fallen off.  saw it on the below thread..

m http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/ ... opic=75993 m

StuC

Have you tried to contact CTP on here?

Anonymous

Quote from: "no1trancefan"i think ive found problem on mine

passenger side has it..

driver side doesnt..

does anyone know if there is a part number for this I'm hoping i dont have to get the full rubber surround. thanks

No wonder you have wind noise   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The plastic cover is just a window guide and it looks like it has come off the metal part, just bend the metal band off the rubber (like the passenger side) and you should find that the rubber seal will touch the glass again, the clip shouldn't be folded back like that.

no1trancefan

i think its gone missing the plastic clip will go out and investigate in a bit hopefully can twist it out, mr t got back to me you cant get clip seperate you have to get the moudling as another poster suspected its £57 if anyone is after part number
75505-17040 - drivers side £57
75506-17040 - passenger side £57

StuC

It might be worth try a breaker to see if they have one.

no1trancefan

has anyone ever replaced this rubber surround with the clip on, does it slide in or have be glued etc?

normanh

The clips on the rubber surround you refer to have been missing on my car for about 5 years now, no rattles here, both just seems to fall off one after the other, are you adjusting the clamp the right way as to reduce the amount of thread showing?

Norman

Tags: