white gunk in engine bay

Started by rosco1209, November 26, 2012, 13:31

rosco1209

ive went to check my oil level and topped up very slightly the other day and noticed a white gunk lining the top of the cap... i know this usually means head gasket.. but ive got no oil loss or water loss the only thing is recently i have fitted a new rad.. anyone got any ideas thanks...

mrzwei

You can also get 'mayonnaise' if the car is used mainly for short trips and often doesn't get warmed up properly.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

AckersMR2

+1
If used on short irregular trips you can get a small amount of condensation inside the engine which can cause this. Shouldn't be a problem, I would just make sure you replace your oil at least annually, no matter what mileage you do.
I've had these symptoms with my motorbikes for years without any issue  s:) :) s:)
My only car is a Ducati 

Barney Bear

Phew   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   as most of my trips are short had a slight panick after reading this post but never had any of the symptoms
would that be down to having a Oil change every 6 months ???
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

mrzwei

Basically yes. That is the best solution.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

rosco1209

okay thanks for your help... got abit scared  s:( :( s:(

AckersMR2

Obviously I'm not saying that is definitely the cause so I would keep a close eye on your coolant and oil colour and levels.

When the head gasket went in my mk1 Astra GTE the oil was fine and the was no significant change in levels but the coolant expansion bottle had a  cappuccino like gold froth on the surface and certainly didn't smell of coffee!
My only car is a Ducati 

rosco1209

you say keep an eye on oil colour what just by dipstick.. or un-screwing engine lid?

AckersMR2

Look for any beads of water/moisture on the end of the dipstick and for white smoke coming out of the exhaust when the engine is fully warmed up.
Wet days and cold nights is ideal conditions for condensation, any moisture on the inside of the engine case usually evaporates on a good run but on short trips a mixture of water and oil vapour in the engine and it condensates on the coolest part of the engine, usually the plastic filler cap creating a milky film, constant short trips builds this up over time.
You didn't say if you've been using the car much? I would clean the cap and take it for a good run.
My only car is a Ducati 

rosco1209

okay will look out for that... many thanks cheers for the help!

Tags: