dodgy right pre-cat??

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2004, 14:48

Anonymous

was just cleaning my o2's and decided to check the infamous pre-cats. the left one looks perfect, i couldn't see into the right one as its slightly lower so the view is blocked. however, i took a few piccies and am a bit concerned...

http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/pic_001.jpg
http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/pic_004.jpg
http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/pic_034.jpg

pics were taken by a camera phone btw

GSB

Sounds ominous tom, e-mail them to me and I'll take a look, or go to  w www.spydermagazine.com/library.htm w  where you can upload them and then post a link.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

after giving the o2's a good clean, my car is STILl low idling. surely it has got to be a faulty injector?

SteveJ

The surface of the pre-cat is certainly less than prisitine - I would keep a close eye on that.

Low idling can be caused by any number of things - restricted air flow (dirty air filter) bad reading from the MAF (clean the MAF wires - dont be fooled by the thermistor that is visible - the wires are hidden down the side of the venturi tube and should be cleaned very carefully.) bad reading from the TPS (unlikely) or as you say a dirty/faulty injector.

Ultimately the ECU will attempt to iron out the low idle - have you had the emissions checked? If it's a faulty injector then my guess would be the engine is running rich as the injector is leaking causing the engine to overfuel (once you get moving the duty cycle increases and the leak is less of a problem)

Just my 2c worth.

GSB

Yep, thats how mine looked. If my car is typical, then in another 500 miles they'll be twice as bad. Better get rid of them...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

you're scaring me now lads! might attempt the job myself soon - bit nervous bout it tho   s:? :? s:?  

re: low idling. passed its mot 2 months ago no probs, ive cleaned the maf, the filter is brand new as its only just had a service, ive put some injector cleanin stuff to give the injectors a good clean, cleaned the o2's, reset the ECU a few times... give up now, so im convinced its a faulty injector as u say, and my car does seem to be running rich as im getting quite low mpg.

do you think toyota would carry out the work for gutting?

Tem

SAY NO TO CRACK!

(in other words: get rid of them, before they do it themselves)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

The job itself is really simple, the problems come if you shear a stud or bolt...

The good news is that if you do shear a bolt, its very-very unlikly to be one of the cylinder head ones. This means that if it all goes wrong, you can jump in another car with the manifold and main cat, get down to a workshop and have someone who knows his stuff drill out the knackered bolt. Once thats done, all you have to do is bolt the manifold and cat back onto the car. Just be careful not to cross thread anything.

Anonymous

all the bolts on my car seem to be on the rusty side and a b@stard to undo so im not looking forwartd to it. the 2 bolts on the manifold heatdheild will not budge, regardless of any amount of lubrication and effort...

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"all the bolts on my car seem to be on the rusty side and a b@stard to undo so im not looking forwartd to it. the 2 bolts on the manifold heatdheild will not budge, regardless of any amount of lubrication and effort...

Do it the easy way, open them right after a drive (or idling, as long as stuff are warm/hot). Needless to say that, don't touch anything, cause they are HOT...even the bits of rust/dirt that will fall on you, if you're under there...

But they will open easily, like you had tightened them by hand a minute ago...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

The important thing here is to get rid of those cats, if it costs a couple of sheared bolts and liberal use of bad language, then so be it. You'll have to undo all these bolts and a lot more besides if the engine dies.

If the heatshield bolts shear off its no big deal. The lower ones should be ok, and the upper ones can be drilled out in the car at your leisure when you have the tools and time. Running wthout the heatshield is no problem.

The major pains are the 3 manifold to cat bolts, if you can get those 3 out ok, your laughing. Theres only the 5 manifold bolts, and the two manifold brace bolts left after that. You'll find those two behind the manifold.

If it all goes absolutley and completely tits up, I have a spare manifold in my workshop.

Anonymous

hmmm, cheers for the posituve attitude GSB. i may attempt this tuesday as ive got nearly all day...

Slacey

I managed it (and with no sheared bolts!), and if I can do it, anbody can... I did cross thread an O2 right at the end though  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

how long did it take you sean?

Slacey

A couple of hours... the bolts were only soaked in penetrating fluid about a half hour before I stsrted, and as I said they all came out no problem.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

your car is newer than mine so sure ill come across a couple of bolts that refuse to budge.
we'll have to see...  s:? :? s:?

Tags: