*SOLVED* Shock Absorbers

Started by weejc, November 28, 2012, 22:44

weejc

Hi Folks

Mibbe a how longs a bit of string question, But how long should I expect shocks to last?
Have a knocking noise sounds like left side on virtually every bump on the road, just got car back from mechanic and he replaced the drop links but reckons its the front shocks.
The noise is still there!
Just replaced all four shocks, TTE coils and drop links in March 2011.
I know our roads ain't the best, and its an X plate (2001 I think) mk3 and because of age should expect some noises, but this is all the time.
I only drive about 6-7K a year and try to be careful with speed bumps, and holes, etc. especially with the new coils last year.

Is a year and a half pretty quick for them to go?

Thanks
John  s:) :) s:)

jamiepeters29

had similar problem after changing my front shocks, left side knocking,  i thought it was the spare wheel compartment rattling but it ended up being the shock top nut had worked its way loose, tightened it up and it was fine. may be of some help.

weejc

Cheers jamie,
I'll have a look, would expect the mechanic to have noticed, he had the car for over a week, but that was mainly as I didn't need it and had access to another for that time!
I'm just trying to decide if worth replaceing them again, or its time for newer wheels! Car looks great, drives well but these wee niggles are starting to get more frequent.
And this one will have to be fixed, knocking noise is driving me nuts!

Wabbitkilla

So exactly how many miles have you don on these particular shocks & springs?
If you replaced the job lot in 2011 I would say you shouldn't be experiencing problems at all unless a spring has taken a knock and broken.

There could be a worn bush, or a droplink failure though.
How many miles on the chassis?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

nathanMR2

When i had my TTE springs installed we reused the top nuts and I found that they were able to work their way loose enough to knock a little. I replaced these with new ones and this solved the problem. The noise did not sound like it would be because of the nuts but it was.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

weejc

Quote from: "jamiepeters29"had similar problem after changing my front shocks, left side knocking,  i thought it was the spare wheel compartment rattling but it ended up being the shock top nut had worked its way loose, tightened it up and it was fine. may be of some help.

Cheers Guys, Took Shock top cover off, shook wheel and could see nut moving and got noise. Have tightened and all good! will see if it stays, but now know what to change if it loosens.
Thanks again, Saved again by this site  s:) :) s:)
JC

AckersMR2

Maybe that's why Toyota quote that nut as being a non reusable item?
My only car is a Ducati 

nathanMR2

If they came undone before they will come undone again. For the cost and safety id just replace them if i was you.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: