My 2 is taking on water - I'm Sinking ???

Started by Anonymous, June 1, 2004, 11:00

Anonymous

After the local dealer changed the hood and engine a few months ago, we found a piece of clear and orange plastic sheet in the luggage locker, and took this in to the dealer to identify. The service manager said it was nothing and threw it in the bin.

I checked on here and was told it is the water shield tokeep the ECU/relay panel dry, and was helpfully provided with a picture !!

I called the dealer on 23rd March, and they said they would order one in and I haven't heard from them since !!

Just before going on holiday the other week I emptied out the car and found to my horror the luggage lockers are FULL of water, I estimate I sponged about a litre out of them and dried them off.

Obviously my first thought is that they have left other waterproofing off as well, but I hoped it may have just been amassed over a long time.

Just got back after two weeks, car was covered for whole time, so has had only one day of rain (Sunday), and checked this morning and passenger side was dry - phew, then driving to work I heard water sloshing about behind me (with the stereo on so it was loud), and have since checked and the drivers side was full of water again, I estimate I sponged about 2 cupfulls out of it this morning !

Obviously I am really annoyed, as the dealer have been a joke throughout, and it took them 7 months and 18 trips to the dealer, during which time they had my car for 44 days to change the hood and cure a rattling engine (pre-cats and then short block changed as they left it so long the engine was completely knackered).

Question for the list is any idea's what they have missed out or where they might have gone wrong as from past experience they need to be told exactly what to do or they have no chance of success !!

Thanks.

James.

GSB

The hood drain holes are blocked, use the search and put in:

Hood AND drains AND blocked

to narrow down a link to the "how-to" that describes cleaning them.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks, I will check the drain holes.

I checked them about 2 months ago and they seemed fine, I didn't realise this would put water back up into the luggage locker.

James.

Chris

I think it's more a case of the water can't get out of the holes on the way down, so just flows into the luggage space, rather than being drawn back up into them...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

make ur that "bit of plastic" gose back tho! as if u get water in the ECU U are as good as a dog with out balls or a apple with out the "a". if u know what i mean
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I cleared out the drain holes last night, there was a fair bit of crap in them, but water was still draining out of them slowly, also on the drivers side there look to be some loose straps which sit over the drain plug, which I think caused the problem.

I will keep a closer eye on these drains when washing the car as if you put the hose on the rear quarter of the hood you should see water gushing out under the car - if not then it is worth pulling the side vents and clearing out the rubber flap and outlet - might even be worth removing the Y piece grid in the middle of the outlet pipt as this seems to have no useful purpose, and simply traps gunk and blocks up the drain !!!

I couldn't believe how much water just runs down the side of the hood and out of the drain, I assumed there was some attempt at a seal here, but you can see about 10mm of daylight down the gap - is this normal ??

I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they will re-fit the missing plastic water shield on Friday, they even had the cheek to say they had phoned me to arrange to fit this some time ago, (they didn't), but when I asked for the date this occured they clammed up - shocking !

Anonymous

I found the clear/orange plastic flap chucked in the luggage lockers when I bought my '2.

Now I know what it is   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

I did keep it just in case it was important (which it clearly is).  Is it possible to put this back myself and if so can anyone give me an idiot's guide to this?

Tried the search facility but without any luck.

Much obliged for any assistance  s:) :) s:)  

Lee

Anonymous

its the plastic that covers the ECU and other controls behind the drivers side bin! would recomend putting it back so that if any water dose drip ontop it will be directed into the drain holes

Anonymous

I know what it is but how do I put it back? Can it be done by me or will I have to get the    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  dealer   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   to do it?

GSB

Quote from: "Sentinel"I found the clear/orange plastic flap chucked in the luggage lockers when I bought my '2.

Now I know what it is   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

I did keep it just in case it was important (which it clearly is).  Is it possible to put this back myself and if so can anyone give me an idiot's guide to this?

Tried the search facility but without any luck.

Much obliged for any assistance  s:) :) s:)  

Lee

Undo the three screws holding you luggage door on. remove the door.
Undo the two screws in the back of the luggage tray. remove the tray.
Put plastic shhet over relay bank at the side of the car (as shown in the photo above)

Put it all back together!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks GSB, this club is a fantastic source of advice and assistance.   s:) :) s:)    I will be making a donation and would urge others to do likewise.

Tags: