Dash lights!!!

Started by simers, December 29, 2012, 19:29

mavrick007

Do you now any links to LED's including holders?

Jay67

you just need the push fit led's, the ones in holders don't fit correctly, stick with it, you'll get there, took me a few attempts
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

pill20

Just so you know if your putting in LED's you need to make sure the flat bit on the side of the LED is on the negative side of the board or it wont light up! ill try and stick up a pic of mine

pill20

Ok so here you go!

First grab some LED's off fleebay or any other source you chose!
when you get them you need to check they all work by putting the ends on a 9v battery now sometimes there will be a resistor on the negative side of the LED or a flat mark on the LED now is the perfect time to take note what end is negative / possitive.

Ok so now we know that they all work rather then fitting them in then finding all the hard work was a waste of time!  s:x :x s:x  

now what i did was replace all the bulbs with led's so go ahead and remove the bulbs that you want to change ( i kept the indicators and high beam light the same ) now go ahead and pull the led out of the holders and bend the ends over like so.

now hopefully you would have removed the old bulb and holder from the main board all you need next is a solder iron and some solder with flux, run some solder over the connector where the bulb was now this is the tricky part!

you need to work around the board but be very careful!! This is a Double PCB and one scratch to the board will damage it !!
And solder all the LED on to the board.

Now the 3 bulbs you see on my board are for the indicators and high beam lights i kept them the same as above

TaDa! now that's done pop out to the car and connect the 3 main looms to the dash and turn you lights on they should work! BUT if they don't you need to take note what one light up! take to board out get a the 9v battery on the led that worked and work around the board spinning the led's around so negative comes positive once done get the 9v battery on a led to see if they all work! Bit of a pain but works a treat!

once done and you know it all works bang it back in to the car ! it will look better then it did !   s:o :o s:o  

hope this helps anyone wanting to replace a bulb! Mine suit me as i have mixed up colors a bit but what ever suits you !

Jay67

or you could just buy leds that fit directly into the lampholders already fitted and save yourself a whole heap of time and soldering?
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

brianorme1986

heres an alternative guys!!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290495461485? ... 1423.l2649 m

srsm

Quote from: "brianorme1986"heres an alternative guys!!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290495461485? ... 1423.l2649 m

I bought and installed this and it's fantastic   s8) 8) s8)  

andyhull

Just had my instrument panel out to change the bulbs as one was out, and found that a bulb holder was missing completely   s:x :x s:x  
Looked on fleabay and found none that I am convinced will fit the roadster, so has anyone of you nice people got one I can purchase fom you ??  pretty plzzzzzz   s:) :) s:)
a 2 is like a fine woman, sexy, charming, satisfying and worth all the maintenance  s]

Fin

To resurrect an old thread...
I appear to have killed my PCB   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Do these Plasma-glow kits wire separately, or plug into the existing bulb-holders?
I am thinking that I should be able to (hopefully) wire back to the adjuster knob on the dash?? That way, I can circumvent the problems I am having all together   s:D :D s:D
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

andyroo104

They can be wired in via a switched live or connect to the existing bulbs,there is a second hand set currently on eBay complete with custom switches to fit into dash.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

andyroo104

Quote from: "andyhull"Just had my instrument panel out to change the bulbs as one was out, and found that a bulb holder was missing completely   s:x :x s:x  
Looked on fleabay and found none that I am convinced will fit the roadster, so has anyone of you nice people got one I can purchase fom you ??  pretty plzzzzzz   s:) :) s:)
There is always a vacant bulb space to the rear of all the dash pods I have seen.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

mrzwei

The missing one is probably for the SMT which has an illuminated gear position indicator on the rev counter IIRC.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Mike G

So does the panel dimmer still work correctly with these LED's as the bulbs are more of a resistive load
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Tags: