GSB's new toy - OBDII reader

Started by GSB, June 2, 2004, 17:53

GSB

Got myself a new bit of kit to hook up to my laptop...

An OBDII interface, OBDII lead, and serial port cable, plus Digimoto software. It can read and reset all the fault codes on an ECU, and so be used to detect any sensor errors, plus it can be used to read off and record real time data such as injector duty, timing advance, O2 Sensor readings, fuel trim, temperatures, revs...

Add to that its quartermile and dyno programs and its one useful bit of kit.

More info:  w www.digimoto.com w
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Nice one  s:) :) s:)

I was looking into getting one of these! How much did it cost you all in in good old english pounds?

I was wondering about getting the pocket PC version, although I don't know whether to get the laptop version. Pain in the arse having too many toys!!!!

How long did they take to deliver as well?

GSB

Cost was £90, delivered next day before noon...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Gonna have to stop coming on here. It is costing me a fortune!!

Is this as good as a gtech pro as far as 1/4 mile and dyno etc?  

Where can buy them in the UK - (Debit card)?

Any chance of the good old Group Buy?

*Looks for better paid job*

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

GSB

Sorry, forgot to add a link to the UK supplier:

m http://gendan.co.uk/auto/scantool_net_pc.shtml m

I think G-tech uses accelerometers to measure performance, whereas this will use sensor readings from the cars ECU. Both are equally good for comparitive tests, i.e. before/after modification, but I wouldnt compare the readings of one against the other.

I have yet to try mine out on the car, but I know Dieamond has one of these if you'd like a better review.

Anonymous

Oooh did someone say group buy  s;) ;) s;)

Count me in for defo if there is one   s8) 8) s8)

MRMike

So......want......one.....

must.....fight.....group buy......

Grant great gadget, where it says "logging coming soon" does that mean the software will be free to download or will it require new firware?

Looked on the site, but maybe you could explain a bit better, is it a 'piggyback' system or does it re-write the ECU codes? If it is a Piggyback won't the ECU fight the revised settings?

Also notcied that it has the ability to advance/retard the timing..again if its a piggyback won't the ECU fight these settings? And would you have to have it plugged in all the time to effect these changes in the timing? Or will they remain even when the unit's not connected?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

GSB

s:?: :?: s:?:  

Sorry?

You must be reading something else!

This is essentially a reader. Its interfaces with ODBII to extract data from the car. You cant change anythimg other than to reset the ECU.

You can however capture and analise the data, and use it in calculation tool to simulate a dyno reading. It wont make you faster, but should you change antything else on the car it can tell you how much faster it's made you.

MRMike

Sorry Grant, where it said "Timing Advance" I thought perhaps you could perhaps manually adjust the timing.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "MRMike"if its a piggyback won't the ECU fight these settings? And would you have to have it plugged in all the time to effect these changes in the timing? Or will they remain even when the unit's not connected?

The easiest way to visualise it is to imagine the OBDII as a black box. It records nearly everything....even what speed your wiper blades are on at. I discovered this when i had the CEL come on. I took my 2 straight to Mr T, he plugged in his little gizmo and he was able to tell me that my lights were on, I had my wipers on full speed and I was also braking.

The gadget that Grant has got, from my understanding, plugs into the black box and reads all the data and presents it to you clearly and in real-time. So you could take it on a track day and map out your speeds round the track, your time, the revs, where you braked, where you changed gear. You could then use this information and make the most of the power and torque, improve your gear changes etc etc, with the end result being that you can go quicker.

You can also use it for dyno tests and get results before and after making mods...without having to book and pay £'s. All you need is a long enough bit of road or find a garage that has a couple of wheel rollers (and maybe a big fan to blow air into the radiator).

All this gadget does is read data. It doesn't overwrite the ECU nor it is a piggyback.

HTH

markiii

just to be precise the ODBII is teh interface standard, nothing to do with the black box behind it.

It dictates what pins signals come from and what those signals mean.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

where abouts is the port on the 2? am i right in thinking j-spec MRS' like mine dont have an ODBII port? if so, is there an alternative?

markiii

under the dashboard to teh right of the steering wheel.

In theory you have teh plug but something about it doesn't adhere to the ODBII standard, as no MR-S I've come across yet will talk to an ODBII readeer.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

must be some sort of converter around?

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"under the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel.

Just in case anyone with LHD steering is reading this...we have it on the left side of the steering  s8) 8) s8)

(kinda hard to miss once you're down there though)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"So you could take it on a track day and map out your speeds round the track, your time, the revs, where you braked, where you changed gear. You could then use this information and make the most of the power and torque, improve your gear changes etc etc, with the end result being that you can go quicker.

Try this on most organisers trackdays, and you'll be leaving early for home... Their liability insurance strictly prevents any form of timing (eyebrows have even been raised over reviewing laptimes from a camcorder) or testing, and you'll sign a disclaimer to that effect.

What you mean is test day... (for which most circuits allow race licence holders only, typically booked direct?)

GSB

Just been having a play with my new toy... very impressive. The update time is ok, and the data logging of any of the sensors can be loaded straight into excel. Its in Imerpial US units, hence I input a vehicle weight of 1000lbs instead of kilos.  

Odd numbers; 130bhp at 1500rpm, 430ft/lbs at 4500rpm.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I'll have to set up those metric units...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'll bring it with me to the pre cat gutting meet..

Anonymous

Daz400 got one of these a while ago. It is a good bit of kit.Gendan said i could order one and return it if it didn't work on my jspec as i told them of the reading problems. I didn't bother but with Darren we tried his and soldered a couple of the terminals together for a missing earth pin on the jap OBD. This didn't work either so i gave up   s:? :? s:?  

There is a reader that works on Jspec but i can't remember which it is at moment.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I really am helpful aren't i.  s:P :P s:P

mph

Quote from: "GSB"I'll bring it with me to the pre cat gutting meet..
Good lad   s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

crankshaft

Hi GSB:

I bought one in kit form about a month ago but have no yet built it up.

Do you know if it can display the gear selected ?? - I looked through the OBDII codes and I could only find codes that show a change rather than the current gear, although I could probably calculate the gear position from this, I could not tell when it's in neutral or reverse ?!

P0781      1-2 Shift
P0782      2-3 Shift
P0783      3-4 Shift
P0784      4-5 Shift

http://www.peter-cruickshank.com/mr2stuff/OBDIIReferenceGuide.htm
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Those look like trouble codes rather than sensors, So I imagine they'd be recorded in the ECU if there a problem with an auto box or perhaps SMT.

Anonymous

That's much cheaper than an FC-Datalogit, which is the only data logger for the Power FC.  Maybe stock ECU + eManage + OBDII code reader is the best way to go after all.  I don't think the Power FC stores any OBDII codes at all.  As far as I know, the only error reporting capability is two types of CEL flash patterns, one for maxed injectors and one for knock.

Looks like a good price for this gadget... enjoy.

Tem

Quote from: "Beanie"I don't think the Power FC stores any OBDII codes at all.  As far as I know, the only error reporting capability is two types of CEL flash patterns, one for maxed injectors and one for knock.

It doesn't store OBD codes...or have any other support for them either.

I think you can set the CEL to trigger from various things though, maxed injectors and knock are just the default triggers.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

DAZ400

Grant what version of the digimoto software do you have I bought it and found it was flaky and unreliable.

I now use the free software from scantool which always works fine and is reliable.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

GSB

Ive got v.3.7 of the digimoto software, but I have scantool in eserve as well. If your running an earlier version you can get a free upgrade at  w www.digimoto.com w .

I've not had to much time to play with it yet, but it seems ok to me.

Tags: