GSB's new toy - OBDII reader

Started by GSB, June 2, 2004, 17:53

GSB

This little gadget came into its own on my way home...

Was cruising along the north circular when up popped the check engine light. Obviously it was a very rapid process of cut the ignition and coast over to the side of the road...

Got out, popped the bonnet, checked all the fluids. All perfect. Cant be the pre-cats as I ripped them out, and nothing seems to be leaking.

Then remembered my reader was still in the boot from the pre-cat meeting, and by pure luck my laptop was in the car as well. So...

Plugged in, ignition on, download trouble codes... Software informs me that the heater circuit on Bank 1, O2 sensor 2 (the 3rd O2 sensor after the main cat) isnt functioning. Using the real time data logger, I started up and saw the sensor output was also no existent...

A quick check behind the N/S rear light revealed a loose plug on the 3rd O2 sensor. Back in the car I reset the CEL, and restarted, Sensor now functioning normally. Unplug and burn rubber!

So, a job that would have seen me phoning a towtruck, and then being hauled to a dealer for a 1 day wait and a big bill, was cured in less than 5 minutes at the roadside...

Only £90... What a bargain!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

Looks like a great bit of kit to invest in.. must... also... resist..

Have a similar thing for the Nissan - although that's not OBDII (it's proprietary) - fantastic pieces of kit to have when you've just finished putting the engine back together and can't figure out why it won't run right  s:) :) s:)  (I speak from experience there..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Only a few days of reading the forum, and I'm already tempted to spend money again! This place is a bad influence  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spynish

Hi!

Does digimoto software read the Air Fuel Ratio?

Thanks!

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"Does digimoto software read the Air Fuel Ratio?

Through OBD-II and stock narrowband sensors? Even if it does, it's useless. Get a wideband, if you want to know your AFR  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

Quote from: "spynish"Does digimoto software read the Air Fuel Ratio?
GReddy do a warning AFR gauge that'll match your boost & EGT Spyni. Aint cheap though (about $250)...EDIT: GReddy inform me today that "the sensor included with it is a basic unit not designed for tuning, but only for basic monitoring." So, this sounds like its narrowband   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  [/i]

I've seen the gadget that C2 use somewhere on the interweb too, but I've lost the link  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Here's another one though http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm that can be configured for Boost, EGT & AFR (they do straight n/band and w/band AFR gauges too from $79 - check under "products")

You can get AFR gauges that use the narrowband O2, but as Tem suggests they are a bit vague.

Markiii and others.....has anyone found an OBDII reader compatible with J-Spec MR-S yet? The search continues....[/i][/b]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Jap GT300

Nope.  Readers are available from the like of snap on but the cost is over £1000   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I've been looking for a cheap version for a long time.  Apparently they were available in Malaysia but I couldn't find anything with a search.

GSB

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Nope.  Readers are available from the like of snap on but the cost is over £1000   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I've been looking for a cheap version for a long time.  Apparently they were available in Malaysia but I couldn't find anything with a search.

Adam,

If theres enough interest, Simon and I are going to run a Group Buy for J-Spec Code readers. Post your interest here, if you're up for one...

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight= m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Do you have a link to the list of sensors that can be monitored on a 2005 MR2?  Many of the ODB-II outputs can vary by manufacturer, model, and possibly year.  I saw the link to error codes posted earlier.

spynish

Nice gauges!  s:D :D s:D  

Anonymous

I got one of these kits as well (digimoto - with ISO interface)...

Although I seem to be having trouble with it... when I first plug it in, I got no lights at all on the scantool LEDs... so after doing some reading, I did that soildering trick... plugged it in again, and voila! Lights! It even gave me RPM, speed, intake air temp, oil temp... unfortunately, thats the limit of my success... I DO have a CEL, however, it isn't reading any CELs, nor can I reset it...

I am in Australia, and have a late 2002 model (which has a 6spd SMT)... so I am guessing perhaps my OBDII is now using the CAN interface instead of ISO?

GSB - what year is your car? I am assuming you got the ISO interface when you bought your digimoto?

I am thinking about getting the moByDic (with the CAN interface) to give it a go, but that means extra $$$ which does not neccessarily translate into results.

Any one else had this similar experience with the ISO scantools on 2003+ model Spyders??

spit

Drifting slightly, but still relevant.....

I'm wondering if you have the same OBDII problem in Australia that we have with the J-Spec import models. I've found readers that'll do both European and J-Spec '2s, but they aint cheap  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Simon is still mooching around Malaysia for a solution though. If you nail it before he does, dttsou, please let us know  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You might want to keep an eye on the thread: http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8214
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: