Team dynamics pro race wheels

Started by donnac, January 3, 2013, 17:29

donnac

Well I popped into the local alloy shop,

I asked for the pro race 1.2 in anthracite.

15 x 7 et38

16 x 7 et38

With 195/50/15
225/40/16 Toyo T1R

The price is £760 delivered and fitted Inc nuts etc.

Does this sound about right?  As you can tell I've never bought wheels before.

Will I be ok with et38 or should I have asked for et45?  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

Wabbitkilla

Wheels are fine, I would be tempted to go with a 45 profile 195 tyre on the front though.

From a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

steve b

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Wheels are fine, I would be tempted to go with a 45 profile 195 tyre on the front though.

That's why you bend your rims  s;-) ;-) s;-)  too low a profile, 50 up front, 45 at the back FTW  s:-D :-D s:-D
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "steve b"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Wheels are fine, I would be tempted to go with a 45 profile 195 tyre on the front though.

That's why you bend your rims  s;-) ;-) s;-)  too low a profile, 50 up front, 45 at the back FTW  s:-D :-D s:-D

Consider the rolling radius of the tyre on the rim though!
If you're going to drop down to 225/40/16 on the back then 195/45/15 on the front not only looks better, but keeps the change in rolling radius similar front and back.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

steve b

Why drop down at all  s:-D :-D s:-D ?

Surely what most people want is the best balance of grip, comfort & feedback?  If the speedo now reads correct rather than 10% over so what  s;-) ;-) s;-)

The very minor gearing change isn't going I be an issue with 200bhp/200lbs
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

donnac

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

So before I order 15 x 7 and 16 x 7 et 45 is ok?

As is 195/50/15 and 225/40/16?
  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
2002 Blue Roadster

Wabbitkilla

Anywhere between ET38 and ET45 is good as long as they're the same all-round   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Your tyre sizes are fine .. I was only offering an alternative, but your front selection is actually cheaper than my suggestion so why not go for it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

donnac

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Anywhere between ET38 and ET45 is good as long as they're the same all-round   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Your tyre sizes are fine .. I was only offering an alternative, but your front selection is actually cheaper than my suggestion so why not go for it?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Excellent, thanks for the help  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

It's all so confusing  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Thought I would stick to that size incase it eats tyres   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2002 Blue Roadster

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "donnac"Thought I would stick to that size incase it eats tyres   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:D :D s:D   Remember if you're going with the Toyo's you need to pump them up a bit more than the standard tyres, many have found FR 26lbft and RR 36lbft works well. If at all possible keep the ET as close as you can to the original wheels for best all-round handling, but you can go to ET38 and they will fit ... I'm running ET38 right now.

StuC

Just to put a bit of maths behind this...

The distance from the inside wheel mounting face and the front face of the rim edge on stock are as follows. This is purely where it sits in relation to the body, not accounting for any benefits or losses with the wheel C of G moving.

Stock Front Wheels @ Width 15" x 6" @ Offset = et45
Distance from mounting face to outer edge of wheel = 31.2mm

Stock Rear Wheels @ Width 15" x 6.5" @ Offset = et45
Distance from mounting face to outer edge of wheel = 37.6mm

So with what you have asked so far...

New Front Wheels @ Width 15" x 7" @ Offset = et45
Distance from mounting face to outer edge of wheel = 43.9mm
So the outer edge will move out of the wheel arch 12.7mm
The inner edge will also move inboards by the same amount.

New Rear Wheels @ Width 16" x 7" @ Offset = et45
Distance from mounting face to outer edge of wheel = 43.9mm
So the outer edge will move out of the wheel arch 6.3mm
The inner edge will also move inboards by the same amount.

Having an ET38 offset on the rears will put the inner edge in the same place as stock, but move the outer edge 12.6mm out of the arch.

To those with more experience of putting these wheels on the car, does a 7" ET45 fit on the front without rubbing, assuming a 195/50/15 tyre?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

steve b

Hang on depends what you call stock the  s;-) ;-) s;-)  improved facelift stock would be the best starting point stock,16x7 so the new rears are the same as facelifted stock if ET is 45  :-) :-) :-)  if its 37 it brings them 8mm out i.e widens rear track by 16mm total.

The complications of facelifts and upgrades  s:-D :-D s:-D

Wabbitkilla

Let us put it this way.

My current wheels are FR 16J7 and RR 17J7, all are ET37.
Tyres are FR 195x40/16 RR 215x40/17.

No rubbing, admittedly to do see a bit more tyre at the bottom of the rear bumper, but they don't "stick out" of the wheel arches .. it's actually quite a tidy too.
I will be changing to 16J7 ET40 all-round this year with 195x40/16 and 225x40/16 tyres and from experience expect no problems with clearances.

In respect of the OP we are discussing semantics, her choice of wheels and tyres are ok, they will fit, they will have no problems, and she doesn't need to worry about it.
Ok ... she will need some new nuts as the Toyota ones are designed differently to the after-market wheels.

StuC

Quote from: "steve b"Hang on depends what you call stock
True

My figures are for Prefacelift, which is the worst case going from one to another.
Fronts are still correct though. For some reason I had it in my mind that facelift fronts were 6.5" though.
I got my information from here for stock figures.

StuC

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Let us put it this way.

My current wheels are FR 16J7 and RR 17J7, all are ET37.
Tyres are FR 195x40/16 RR 215x40/17.

In respect of the OP we are discussing semantics,

You are running at ET37 on your fronts though and in the specific question here...
Quote from: "donnac":crazyeyes:  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

So before I order 15 x 7 and 16 x 7 et 45 is ok?

As is 195/50/15 and 225/40/16?
 s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

asking if ET45's are OK. They will be 8mm worse than yours, relative to the inside edge of your wheels arch.

That's why I asked this...
Quote from: "StuC"To those with more experience of putting these wheels on the car, does a 7" ET45 fit on the front without rubbing, assuming a 195/50/15 tyre?

To give full confidence in what is being purchased. If I am taking things too far then I accept that and I'll pipe down.
I just come from the place of having the totally wrong tyres and getting rubbing issues round corners.  :-) :-) :-)

Wabbitkilla

Just remind me what the offset of the standard facelift rears is?

StuC

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Just remind me what the offset of the standard facelift rears is?

According to Markiii's posting here ET45. For both PFL and FL.

Wabbitkilla

Therefore ET45 replacement will be fine?

StuC

Quote from: "StuC"To those with more experience of putting these wheels on the car, does a 7" ET45 fit on the front without rubbing, assuming a 195/50/15 tyre?

LOL, my question relates to the fronts not the rears  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "StuC"

LOL, my question relates to the fronts not the rears  s;-) ;-) s;-)

I doubt you will have any problem, considering I know at least one person is running PFL rears on the front of his car without any issues.

StuC

Cool beanz, thanks for persevering!  :-) :-) :-)

MattPerformance

Personally I'd recommend 225/45 16 for the rear.  It's closer to the 215/45 16 FL stock size (but obviously more distant from the 205/50 15 PFL size) but marries up well to the 5-speed 'box (which is missing the "overdrive" of the 6-speed 'box) for cruising/ higher speeds, especially if you've got 200bhp or more.

Edited to say: Oh, and they're cheaper too!!

Jubal

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "Jubal"These are ET38 Pro Race 1.2's on my car. Up to you how much you want them to fit into the arch. ET38 seems to mirror the std wheel on my car.

Just for completeness Jubal has a LOT of camber for his track set-up so it's not altogether representative.  et37 wheels will come out 8mm relative to the stock wheel but you also have to factor in the rim width and how it affects how the tyre sits on the rim.  Jubal also has 195(/50) tyres on the front on a 7" rim so

Going for a lower offset (compared to et45) will also cause the car to tram line more.  Not a problem for a track car as tramlining is an occupational hazard on normal roads!

205's all round actually. I had some plan that I was going to need to swap wheels about front to rear as i have had to do on other cars. But some nutter set it up with so much camber it eats tyres uniformly  s;) ;) s;)   I was only posting because I had that pic which showed the wheels relative to the arch. In truth, I was comparing the way these wheels look with the 17's that came off it. I forgot that they weren't standard!

donnac

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Personally I'd recommend 225/45 16 for the rear.  It's closer to the 215/45 16 FL stock size (but obviously more distant from the 205/50 15 PFL size) but marries up well to the 5-speed 'box (which is missing the "overdrive" of the 6-speed 'box) for cruising/ higher speeds, especially if you've got 200bhp or more.

Edited to say: Oh, and they're cheaper too!!

Hi Matt,

So keep 195/50 front but make it 225/45 on the rear?

Thanks
2002 Blue Roadster

ayresyboy

I had the same dilemma as you but asked everyone on here and they were all so helpful.  In the end I went for Rota Grid wheels with Toyo T1-R tyres...

Front wheels: 15 x 6.5J +40
Front tyres: 195/50/15
Rear wheels: 16 x 7J +40
Rear tyres: 225/45/16

No rubbing on stock suspension setup.  I now have BC coilovers.  Still no rubbing.  Only niggly thing is that the front wheels don't fill up the arch enough for my liking.  But that's only an aesthetic thing.
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

donnac

Quote from: "ayresyboy"I had the same dilemma as you but asked everyone on here and they were all so helpful.  In the end I went for Rota Grid wheels with Toyo T1-R tyres...

Front wheels: 15 x 6.5J +40
Front tyres: 195/50/15
Rear wheels: 16 x 7J +40
Rear tyres: 225/45/16

No rubbing on stock suspension setup.  I now have BC coilovers.  Still no rubbing.  Only niggly thing is that the front wheels don't fill up the arch enough for my liking.  But that's only an aesthetic thing.

Thanks, I do like the rotas and like that they come in the 6.5 size, did you buy a wheel and tyre combo?
If you don't mind me asking how much?  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
2002 Blue Roadster

Tags: