Exhaust leak

Started by Reecemac, January 7, 2013, 03:16

Reecemac

So this might sound stupid but here goes . . .
My MOT is running out so I took the car to the garage and before I even left they had identified an exhaust leak and said it would cost x amount to look, x amount to do this, x amount to do that, so I took it home to have a look first. Now bear with me because i'm not with the car but the leak was coming from the part with the flexy metal intersection. I think it could've be caused buy the removal of the precats as the garage reused the same gaskets. Like I said i'm not with the car but want to buy the parts before I return home and get it sorted, so I wanted to ask it it likely to be the exhaust gasket or the crush gaskets? and just as simple as replacing them and i'm sorted?

Sorry for sounding stupid but it's hard to picture it without the car.

Thanks,
Reece

Wabbitkilla

Always iffy reusing those gaskets, they're designed to be single usr and it's false economy not to replace them if your separating the exhaust.

So high probability it's them, but we are seeing the flex sections failing on a few exhausts now and that's just down to age. They need to be cut out and new ones welded in which can be costly depending who is doing it.

From a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: