seen on ebay - +15bhp mod for £5 - piggyback on ECU air temp

Started by Anonymous, June 3, 2004, 14:59

Anonymous

Just seen this on ebay, I assume this is just a resistor inline with the air temp sensor, but has anyone tried this or a similar mod ?

I remember people doing this with Peugeot EFI (Jetronic2?) by attaching a variable resistor on the temp wire so you could dial in your fuel economy, but I assume with cats /O2 sensor closed loop EFI this wouldn't work anymore ???

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7903927822 m

Quote:
this 'piggy back' electronic device will alter the fuel and timing curves in a very similar way as the eprom chip would, but without even opening the ECU. How can it do that? By fooling your computer and letting it think that you are sucking air at a different temperature. Your computer will respond with increased power!

Anonymous

Locked due to thread duplication.

[GSB] These mods and several others like them come up all the time, what they do is this:

They alter the electrical resistance of the intake air temperature sensor, and in doing so, make the engine run rich. Supposedly this extra fuel is supposed to liberate extra power. It doesn't. The main reasons it doesnt are, to extract the extra power from the fuel you need to add extra air, and the ECU monitors its rich/lean status and adjusts it according to the measuerments it takes from the Oxygen sensors in your exhaust. So after a very short amount of time, the engine is running back to normal, apart from the light on your dash which the ECU flags up to indicate a fault, in this case a knackered intake air temperature sensor.

It's buyer beware on these types of auctions, all you'll get for your £15 is 2p's worth of resistor, you wont even get the solder thrown in...

Consider yourselves warned...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  [/GSB]

Tags: