Advice on fitting mdf rings

Started by no1trancefan, January 15, 2013, 00:34

no1trancefan

Can i use an mdf ring behind the speaker adaptor if i gut it out? i need a mounting depth of 69mm and the spyder guide advised he had to use 22mm mdf but i was wondering if i can get away with a bit less as the mounting depth shoudl be 55 with the standard speaker adaptor on the car. sorry been looking online all night

uktotty

Yes, there will be a template somewhere, I certainly had one

s12vea

Make sure you treat the wood if using mdf to preserve for the future.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

onion86

Quote from: "uktotty"Yes, there will be a template somewhere, I certainly had one
'tis here  m http://www.mr2roc.org/Repository/misc/referencelib ... plates.pdf m
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

stargazer30

Its common for moisture or even water to run down that section of the door, thats why the stock speakers have that rain guard on the back.  MDF is better than plastic but varnish it or seal it somehow. If you don't the MDF will swell over time and fall to bits.

The MDF doesn't have to be max thickness just make sure the speaker magnet doesn't foul the window when it is down.

Whilst your in there flashing tape your doors too, that makes as much improvement as the new speakers will.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

no1trancefan

will do if i mess them up i might order some of these as a backup
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160655746601? ... 1439.l2649 m

uktotty

they would be GREAT but they won't fit

no1trancefan

Managed to draw a list up of dimensions of the speaker so going to ask for some to be made at 22mm thick with 8-9mm at the screw points and someone nicely sent me link to the template for the speakers on the forum

Outer Ø mm 167
Mounting Ø mm 146
Total depth mm 86
Mount. depth mm 69
Magnet size mm 85

amz91

Hey, iv just brought the ones off eBay 6.5 18mm will this not fit?
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

Anonymous

can i just mention; i tried using the template on here and it didnt work - dont mean to sound rude but it did suck.

Ended up cutting one to fit my car.

amz91

Quote from: "dj vinxy"can i just mention; i tried using the template on here and it didnt work - dont mean to sound rude but it did suck.

Ended up cutting one to fit my car.

Mate do you know if these will do?
 m http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0792812957 m
I brought these at 18mm 6.5 but seen some where on here 12mm 6.5 :-/
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

Anonymous

They not gonna work considering where the screw holes are....

amz91

But would if I drilled new holes in the mdf?

Anonymous

I dont see why not. BUT please get other people's advice on that

amz91

Trying lol  :-) :-) :-)

AckersMR2

You could just gut the original Toyota ones and screw your new speakers to the plastic mounts?
My only car is a Ducati 

tomaky

Ackers talking sense? Surely not! (He makes a good point)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

amz91

Iv give it a thought but I'd prefer leave them to one side :-/

AckersMR2

Quote from: "amz91"Iv give it a thought but I'd prefer leave them to one side :-/

Depends I guess on what your replacing them with? Had this discussion with a member last year, they'd bought some £30-40 speakers and wanted to leave the old ones alone so they could return to stock in the future and I said then, come the time are you really going to bother with taking the doors apart to get out a pair of speaker that are now worth maybe £10. I think they saw my point of view.
My only car is a Ducati 

amz91

Yeah I read it  :-) :-) :-)  I'm planning on putting my edge speakers in wanted get the focal but cause iv never done it i brought these first heard some good reviews so wanted give them a try reason I wanted keep old ones was just incase I needed replace them again

Tags: