What grade engine oil???

Started by Anonymous, June 4, 2004, 12:13

Anonymous

Hi all,

Does anyone know what grade of engine oil to top up the 2 with?

Cheers,

Dan

Anonymous

RTFM   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I've only had the car for a week and I don't have one yet!!!

Dan

markiii

if in doubt semisynt 15w40 is probably teh safest bet.

If you don't know whats in there though I'd o an full change ASAP at least then you know.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dan23.0"I've only had the car for a week and I don't have one yet!!!

Dan

You dont have a manual?  s:? :? s:?  How strange.

heathstimpson

Semi 15W40 was used on my first service recently.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I had this checked out by Toyota, use 5w-30 Magnatec if you do lots of short journeys, don't use 0w-40 as one Toyota spokeman had been (para) quoted "high performace fully synthetic oil is almost 'too' good" for our engine...
You dont want thin funny oil getting behind your cylinders on your nice new precats do you?

Though i think they corrected that problem on later models  s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE MAGNATEC unless you intend changing it every 3-4K, as it goes very thin very quickly to the point that it runs past the piston rings as if they werent there. I had a brief flirt with magnatec in my first roadster, and got very worried when it started using about 1/2 litre per thousand miles mid way through the service interval. Changing the oil reduced the consumption but after about 3K the problem was back.

Switching back to 15w40 semi cured the problem.

Anonymous

Why would Toyota use an oil on the '2 that was damaging to the engine  s:? :? s:?  

I have read a report stating that Magnatec actually IMPROVES with age, some. In the trial users used the iol for 1000 miles then tested it for quality, some users kept on using it for 20,000 miles  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  but it was found that it was still protecting your engine even after 10,000+ miles. Conversly it was found that because you need to mature your iols regulatr changes actially cause engine wear while the new oil is being broken (measured by the quanitiy of metals found in the oil samples from engine components). Thus there was a rapid increase in the first 3 months with a slight increase as the oil passed 10,000 (but still not significant) until 18,000miles where up, then the oil started to break down  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I wish i could just show you the link but it was a some months ago i read this. From this i switched from 0w-40 full syn to 5w-30 magnatec, especially with Toyotas reccomendation.

If you know more about this than me please just say so, I wan't to use the best oil for my '2 as well so would rather know for sure  s:) :) s:)  

I will only change my oil every 10,000 miles from reading this report, but am now confused as to which oil i only change  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

do a search on oil, theres a whole thread discussing this.

with links to why it's bad.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Having spoken to someone who carried out the long term testing of Magnatec at the Transport Research Laboratory in Crowthorne (using of all cars a MkII NA MR2) he warned me against using it except if I intend changing it every 2-3K miles.

The key problem (and of particular interest to our particular engine / CAT setup) is that as it beds in the oil goes VERY thin for a while which causes it to bypass the rings and enter the pre-cat where it causes the pre-cat to overheat and break-up. Bits of the broken cat are then drawn back into the engine scoring the cylinder bores allowing more oil to escape.

Basically anything that you can do that reduces the amount of oil getting to the pre-cats has got be a good thing

However if you have removed the pre-cats then I would definately go for Magnatec, as in all the test data that I was shown, and my own (far from scientific) tests show that the engine performs better and uses less fuel.

markiii

in which case you need to read the oil thread as well  :-) :-) :-)

theres a whole load of concern regarding teh ash content of this stuff being very bad for your engine.

It's not going in my car again.

Tags: