Which manifold?

Started by Krissg, January 26, 2013, 19:46

Krissg

Hey all.
I know this has been covered a bit but there are mixed reviews but no direct comparisons between these.
4 options I have (in order of links) -
1- toyosport £129
2- Genuine CHE £175
3- JDM Honda parts (USA) £120
4- TRD style by carben fibre creations £205

all prices are delivered.

just wondered if you could help with a review and whether it's worth paying an extra few quid!?

m http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1518639241 m

m http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 9644338443 m

m http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 9970252581 m

m http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 7199089701 m
2003 MR2 Red....watch this space!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

wotugonado

Ive got the jdmhondaparts one, had no problems with it, delivered exceptionally quickly.
The mechanic who fitted it for me said for an after market part it was "good quality, and easy to fit as the holes for the cat and engine block all lined up very well"
it has the lower brackets which the crappy toyo sports one does nt, and is probably the same item as the more expensive che version.
The trd style one i know nothing about so cant comment( but looks very similar to the jdm one).
The only draw back on mine was the holes for the standard heat shield did nt line up 100%, so to save all the messing about i did nt refit it.
I also brought a new gasket for it as i was told the one supplied wasnt much cop.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Krissg

hi. thanks for your opinion. I was swaying towards that particular one, it's just a lot of people have good things to say about CHE products and although it's more expensive he supplies the OEM gasket which makes it a bit closer price wise...hmmmm
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

origgs

Could you just re use he original gasket on the current manifold instead of buying a new one?

Krissg

Quote from: "origgs"Could you just re use he original gasket on the current manifold instead of buying a new one?

I believe they're crush gaskets on cat side so once pressure is released its hard to regain a seal.
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

origgs

Ahh i see. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous

Jdm Honda parts is che via flea bay. Also the trd style is also che but going though a middle man.

Krissg

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Jdm Honda parts is che via flea bay. Also the trd style is also che but going though a middle man.

are you sure? he sells them for $200 on SC and also on eBay USA.
they do look similar tho I must admit.
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

wotugonado

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Jdm Honda parts is che via flea bay. Also the trd style is also che but going though a middle man.

Quote from: "wotugonado"and is probably the same item as the more expensive che version.

Thats what ive been told, cant say 100% but it is generally believed to come from the same factory.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

OldMan

If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Krissg

Quote from: "OldMan"Ahem.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42064

ye I saw that cheers.
was just after opinions whether to spend a bit more on a CHE.
think I'll take a punt on the other yank one tho!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

Anonymous

As much as I no yes its him, but no factual proof. Also how many cars do you see on the road that look exactly the same except for the badge???

Goeman

I had a JDM Honda Parts one. It was wonky, the heat shield wouldn't fit on the block mounting brackets snapped off and it cracked in the end. The Toyosport one is better quality. Just have a couple of simple brackets welded on and wrap it.
Russell

Barney Bear

I've had 2 JDM Hondapart ones, first one lasted a few years and the only reason it broke across the bracket weld I was to heavy handed when undoing a heat shield bolt think the first one was on the car for five years
before I had the new one fitted I sprayed the whole thing with silver exhaust paint to stop any rust, stinks like made for a few days but so far so good   s:D :D s:D  

oh and make sure you throw the gasket and buy the Gen Toyota one
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

AckersMR2

I've got the jdm one I think, bought it off here from a member who had it on their car for a couple of years, been on mine a year and no problems  :-) :-) :-)
As others say though, the brackets for the heatshields don't line up, i can either put the heatshields on or screwing the O2 sensors but not both  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Buy from CHE on SC, he stands by his products so its peace of mind.

Krissg

I think there's always going to be the odd dodgy product when something is being mass produced, happens with new cars all the time.
on the recommendations of you fine folks I've gone for the Jdm one, I can hold you accountable though right??   s:P :P s:P
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

FGrob

I would have brought a Zero for the extra cost - but then again I'm biased  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

redcarblackhorse

I got the CHE one from the US through JDM. Fitted it myself. The gasket to the head needed to be replaced but dont use the one supplied with the manifold. Looks very cheap and read on here not to use so I got a new one from Camberly Autofactors. The ones on the CAT side I reused with no problems. This header allows you to bolt back to to the engine block and also re fit the heat shields if you so wish.

I have got my CHE exhaust box from Top Speed - good guys to deal with.
1999 MR-S with a few tweaks!
Circuit de catalunya
24 Heures du Mans
Thruxton
Abingdon Track day

OldMan

Quote from: "FGrob"I would have brought a Zero for the extra cost - but then again I'm biased  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I have two Roadsters.  Both are equipped with ZeroExhaust headers.
I'm well pleased, but I don't recommend them for everyone due to their cost.

I do recommend against cheap "headers", whatever their origin.
CHE is an excellent seller, and if you're determined to install an inferior manifold, he's the man to deal with.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Krissg

Quote from: "OldMan"
Quote from: "FGrob"I would have brought a Zero for the extra cost - but then again I'm biased  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

CHE is an excellent seller, and if you're determined to install an inferior manifold, he's the man to deal with.

haha, any other than the zero = inferior?
they seem good enough quality with good reviews so why not!  s:) :) s:)
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

FGrob

Quote from: "Krissg"
Quote from: "OldMan"

haha, any other than the zero = inferior?
they seem good enough quality with good reviews so why not!  s:) :) s:)
Remember Oldman is in the US so he will pay more, I wouldn't say the the cheaper headers are inferior, I had one of the first Che's for at least 12 months, you just need to ensure that whichever one you go for it's got the lower mounting brackets and the O2 bung holes are clear and free from obstructions.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Krissg

[/quote] Remember Oldman is in the US so he will pay more, I wouldn't say the the cheaper headers are inferior, I had one of the first Che's for at least 12 months, you just need to ensure that whichever one you go for it's got the lower mounting brackets and the O2 bung holes are clear and free from obstructions.

Rob.[/quote]

Oh i know its all good advice Rob, i have now made a purchase from JDM (comes eith mounting brackets). il give it a go and let you know the result.

Would anyone know how much heat wrap in needed (length) to wrap the mani? cheers
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

AckersMR2

Judging by the pics there is a difference between the CHE one and the JDM, the CHE has a thicker plate at the header end whereas the JDM is a thin plate like the OE Toyota one, not that that makes any difference. You might find like me the heat shield holes don't line up quite right but just run without them or modify the O2 holes to fit?

You might find the bottom brackets a tight fit with the hangers on the block, just loosen  off the bolts of the brackets on the engine block a little just to give you enough play to get everything on and then tighten it all up  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

Barney Bear

I had no problems with the heat shields must of been lucky
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

Tags: