Ignition key

Started by 2000mk3, January 28, 2013, 20:17

2000mk3

The lock button on my ignition key doesn't always work or needs to be held down for a wile before it will work.is this a simple fix or if I bought a second hand fob is it easy to reprogramme?

StuC

Couple of things to try.
You could open it up and check that the button is working properly just using the internals.
Also putting a new battery in might help too.
If neither of those things work the new 2nd hand key is easy enough to programme, depending on what your current key has been programmed as. I.e. master or secondary.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Markb

Probably just the micro switch inside.....if you can solder its easy enough,switches are cheap from maplins etc......there are also places on ebay that refurb the fobs (replace switches and outer casing)

2000mk3

Is there any way of telling if my key is the master key or a secondary?

frogger

Maplin's don't have any the right size; so I special ordered a bag of 100 to dish out to fellow MR2 owners, but can't find them for the bloody life of me!

Have a search of my posts on here for other key-related fault finding, and see if that red light is coming on properly when pressing to unlock.

... It's always either the battery or the microswitch.  s:) :) s:)

mrzwei

Quote from: "2000mk3"Is there any way of telling if my key is the master key or a secondary?

When new I think they came with two black masters and a grey secondary.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

StuC

Quote from: "2000mk3"Is there any way of telling if my key is the master key or a secondary?

As far a I have researched the only way you can tell is if you are not able to programme another key. Bit chicken and egg I know. If it is a secondary key though, you are likely to need to go to Mr T ad get them to set it as a Master.
For the sake of about £20 though on fleabag it's worth a shot.

Still worth checking the switch and battery out first. They are the cheaper options  :-) :-) :-)

2000mk3

Well I will have to try and repair it thanks for the advice

2000mk3

Hi what's the part no of the master key is it 1512v as I'm trying to source one of fleabay

StuC

I think the part numbers were different across the models. Look for stuff that is similar to yours. 2 button.

2000mk3

Quote from: "StuC"I think the part numbers were different across the models. Look for stuff that is similar to yours. 2 button.
Yeah that's what I thought one other thing how do you open the fob mine seems to be a sealed unit

StuC

Little screw on the back then it prises apart

2000mk3

On the fob itself in side the key I mean

StuC

Some piccies of the inside of my key for you.  :-) :-) :-)
The black bit is rubbery and glued into the grey bit, so might need a little persuading!

2000mk3

Ok I didn't want to just force it open without knowing for sure thats how it's done thanks stu

Tags: