brake pads sticky vinyl shims

Started by wotugonado, February 7, 2013, 15:36

wotugonado

I just bought some new brake pads and in the box was some sticky back plastic/vinyl stuff to fit on the rear of the pads, it s meant to
be used instead of copper grease.
Just wondering if any one has used this as i dont want to be taking the pads off again and applying copper grease at a later date if this
stuff turns out to be pants   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
Will post some pics later if that helps..........
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

nathanMR2

I'm guessing they are green stuff or the likes. I believe the rubbery pads are in replacement on the metal shims. I put copper grease on also. It's unlikely to hurt either way
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

wotugonado

Cheers Nath, good call yeah they re ebc pads. looking at them there does nt even seem to be enough for the ammount of pads supplied, are they just for the piston side of the caliper ?
That caliper was a challenge to take apart btw, got the piston out with a fight, still soaking the nut on the handbrake lever to help release it.

onion86

I think I got rubber pads for the piston side pads and metal shims for the outer pads with the Yellowstuffs, I put copper grease on both sides but you should be fine without it on the rubber pads if they're already fitted. I seem to remember having some left over, so I may have not fitted anything (except grease) to the outer pad for aesthetic reasons  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

nathanMR2

I've got the rubber pads on both sides of mine, metal shims removed completely.

I'm pretty sure I had to cut them to shape iirc.

Which bolt you trying to undo by the way?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

wotugonado

Yeah thats right cut them to shape, thats about as much as i can understand from the instructions they ve sent. Well ive definitely only got four to do eight pads. i
Might just stick to the copper grease, least i know what im doing with that.
The nut that holds the handbrake lever to the caliper body, according to the how too the bit where the corrosion is most likely to be. Its being a right pig.

locobuilder brian

Its not necessary to remove nut that you refer to! See Steve Greens how to it explains the procedure better than I can.
But the hand brake mechanism needs to be extracted from behind the piston before the arm/cam part will come out.
A special tool is available from toyota to compress the spring to take the circlip out.
Steve Greens  how to explains it all & with pictures.
Best Regards Bri e

wotugonado

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Its not necessary to remove nut that you refer to! See Steve Greens how to it explains the procedure better than I can.
But the hand brake mechanism needs to be extracted from behind the piston before the arm/cam part will come out.
A special tool is available from toyota to compress the spring to take the circlip out.
Steve Greens  how to explains it all & with pictures.
Best Regards Bri e

Cheers mate that probably explains why it wont budge, off to try that now   s:D :D s:D
yep pulls out in one piece   s:) :) s:)   thanks for that

ChrisGB

I had grey sticky shim pads on some high performance Mintex pads once. Seemed to work very well.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: