Help...Need a new exhaust ASAP

Started by trickyD, February 9, 2013, 19:19

trickyD

Hi I've just picked up my new MR2 and it's made me deaf!
It's either some half baked sport model or its fooked

Anyway, I only really want a standard one, I don't have £400 for a perfomance one and since its my wife's car doesn't need to be loud

I can't find any online quotes for exhausts and I've tried everyone! None of the major online retailers list them. Why are exhaust prices so secretive!?  s:) :) s:)

Obviously there is eBay but you never know what you are getting - last resorts-ville!

Can anyone help me! I would be happy to swap if someone wants a track car or hates their neighbours?  s;) ;) s;)
 s:( :( s:(

By the way I love it! It feels really fast!
>:D
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

mr mr2

Is it the exhaust or the flexi pipes on the cat. I've never read about a exhaust going when mine went it was the flexi pips on the cat
Excelsior

Krissg

hey dude! I have a stock back box for sale if that's what your after? came off my 03 care with 60k.
just to help you narrow down what yours is, is it single or twin exit? can you see any brand names on it? any pics may help as it may be worth a few quid to someone.
2003 MR2 Red....watch this space!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

trickyD

Cheers Mr mr2, I'll take a proper look.

Thanks also Kriss, you can PM me a price if you like, min is a twin exit will get pics tomorrow. Mot advised it was rusty though, only just read the documentation.

Bits for sale!

iPap

I have one, standard, located in Orpington.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Krissg

Quote from: "trickyD"Cheers Mr mr2, I'll take a proper look.

Thanks also Kriss, you can PM me a price if you like, min is a twin exit will get pics tomorrow. Mot advised it was rusty though, only just read the documentation.

Righto well if you look on the tips and it says "TTE" they're quite a sought after piece of kit BUT as its rusting and you say it's loud I doubt it is, but could still be a decent buy for someone if its intact. Chances are its another brand of aftermarket exhaust. Il pop you a PM dude.
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

trickyD

Yeah, I already checked if it was TTE doesn't appear to be, will have a proper look tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up though  s:) :) s:)

Bits for sale!

wotugonado

have a look through here see if its any of these
 l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30042 l
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

loadswine

I'm happy to swap for my stock system I have here, if you are interested. Low ish mileage of about 35k. south west London.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

[Mod] re: the PM'ing of prices mentioned earlier in this thread .... As per sales rules, can we keep deals in open forum and not via PM please.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Krissg

Quote from: "spit"[Mod] re: the PM'ing of prices mentioned earlier in this thread .... As per sales rules, can we keep deals in open forum and not via PM please.

of course.
I offerred the standard back box for £35
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

Anonymous

Put up a pic of the exhaust and we can try and help identify it. However it sounds like a Hayward and Scott as the don't look special and insainly loud.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "rbuckingham"However it sounds like a Hayward and Scott as the don't look special and insanely loud.
If this is the case, they are not a cheap item and come with 25 year guarantee - If it is corroded (and I would be very surprised) they should be able to help you -

If it is OK but just too loud for your taste then it will probably be worth selling on here

http://www.haywardandscott.com/

Worth looking under the car - Could be the flexi joint on the main cat blowing

ETA - This is what an H&S looks like -

[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

AckersMR2

I've got a standard 44k mile 03' single exit exhaust with an oval chrome tip sitting in my garage taking up space, you can have it foc if you want to come and get it, I'm not interested in trying to pack and post the thing though, I'm in Bournemouth.
My only car is a Ducati 

trickyD

Thanks everyone!
Pretty sure it's mild steel and not a lovely Hayward.

I forgot to say the noise is insane and nasty at 3k (sounds like its vibrating its innards to pieces!)
At 2- 2.5k is fine and goes away by 4k, it's actually quieter at higher revs!

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Thanks loadswine!
That's a great deal, bear in mind mine may be fooked though  s:( :( s:(

Pics to follow....

Bits for sale!

trickyD

...just thinking.... This couldn't be the noise of my ore cats breaking up could it?
:S

Bits for sale!

spit

Precats are always worth a look although I'd be surprised if they're related to a loud exhaust unless they've broken free in one lump. Could happen but unlikely.

If its a higher frequency rattle it could be the heatshields around the main Cat. They're prone to corroding around the bolts/welds where they join and make the most noise around that 2.5-3.5k mark. Give them a poke.

If its more of a frapping exhaust tone, I'd follow the advice of others and check your flexis. We've seen a few go, particularly when married to aftermarket bits further downstream.

Or it could be, as you suggest, the exhaust. Bottom line is that you'll have to get your head on there.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

trickyD

Left side, the other aide looks about the same. It looks a bit stainless? And short! :S

The noise is a deep, very deep blowing burble, like the baffles have fallen to bits and its about 120 dbs!

The next problem is that I can't get in the engine bay!
The pull cable doesn't seem to click, do I need to do something else?

Bits for sale!

Anonymous

Have you unlocked the pull switch?

AckersMR2

Quote from: "trickyD"The next problem is that I can't get in the engine bay!

Try getting someone to pull the lever while you lift it, is the shut lines of the lid lined up with the rear wings or is it by any chance sitting lower?when you've got the lid up, on the cross member in front of you there should be a rubber grommet on each side, you can unscrew these to adjust the height of the lid when closed, when at the correct height they should offer enough resistance to pop the lid up next time you pull the handle  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Looks almost like the exhaust tips are missing?
My only car is a Ducati 

trickyD

Thred here, so as not to double up
 l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42287 l

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Quote from: "life of bryan"Have you unlocked the pull switch?

I turned the key from lock to unlock to no avail...

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "trickyD"The next problem is that I can't get in the engine bay!

Try getting someone to pull the lever while you lift it, is the shut lines of the lid lined up with the rear wings or is it by any chance sitting lower?when you've got the lid up, on the cross member in front of you there should be a rubber grommet on each side, you can unscrew these to adjust the height of the lid when closed, when at the correct height they should offer enough resistance to pop the lid up next time you pull the handle  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Looks almost like the exhaust tips are missing?

Thanks!

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Thanks Ackers it worked!!
Pull and lift!
 s:D :D s:D

Bits for sale!

Tags: