Help...Need a new exhaust ASAP

Started by trickyD, February 9, 2013, 19:19

trickyD

Looks half decent from inside, welding looks nice:

Doesn't appear to be in bad shape apart from the tips (or lack of)

I couldn't see much wrong, heat shield looked well, wasn't sure where the cat joint was mind...

Another pic, looking at silencer:

Was tipping it down so I couldn't take a proper look

- the sound was bearable at low speeds, it's more of a drone at 3k....
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

loadswine

Well, there is a stock system here if you want it. I can always have a look at the precats if you like. I have no garage though, so might be an idea to wait till the weather improves a bit.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

trickyD

Thanks  s:) :) s:)
I will get my mechanic to look and confirm what the issue is first, I'm not convinced its the box now as it looks in reasonable shape...

... I will investigate further and report back!
 s:) :) s:)

Bits for sale!

kentsmudger

Comparing it with mine, in shape it does look a little like the H&S backbox with missing tips - Some owners on here have described theirs as boomy or droning at certain speeds

As has been said, the heat-shields around the standard cat are notorious for rattling, but it is a very metallic rattly, clangy noise, not a drone.  

The cat is visible in the pic I posted earlier, it is the lumpy pipe below the chassis bar, between the exhaust tips - From the right of that section, the cat has a pipe that extends towards the engine and then curves upwards through a twin-pipe flexible mesh section (pic below) All of this unit is surrounded by heat shields secured with rust-vulnerable spot welds and the flexi sections can corrode too - a blowing pipe can start off droning

Where are you in Essex? Maybe someone could meet up with you for a look - We have several members over there and I am only 20 miles into Kent from the Dartford tunnel (With an H&S exhaust to compare to yours!)
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice - what a great forum this is!  s:) :) s:)

Cheers KentSmudger! I might take you up on that when it stops snowing! :O
Although pretty sure H&S are near festival leisure in Bas which is next to where I used to work, couldn't hurt to drop by?

Bits for sale!

kentsmudger

That's them - They will be able to tell you if it one of theirs, and their work is of very high quality, but they are not a cheap solution! If it is their work, I do wonder how the tips came to be missing.

I should identify the source of the problem first, then consider your options to remedy - Seems a stock unit would suit you better than a custom job, however well made
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

trickyD

Well my cars has had the once over and apparently their is no blowing :S
So it must just be bloody noisy. Having said that it will only ever be used round town 10 minutes tops and for weekend razzing! So it hasn't annoyed me since the dreaded 2 hour motorway journey.

Think I might even miss the noise when opened up, if I went to a standard system?  s:-o :-o s:-o

Lets see how I get on, I need brakes and a new crossmember now >:(

Bits for sale!

MattPerformance

Has it got a cat fitted? (that could explain the amount of noise)? And if not (or not sure) does the engine light work (if so is it on?).

Without wanting to come over as smug... "I need brakes and a new crossmember now..." you do remember me saying that when you buy one of these cars cheap, the price you pay is not what it ends up costing you, right?!  s:) :) s:)

trickyD

Ha ha funny!  s:) :) s:)
It was still a bargain and I love it! None of these little niggles are issues, not like it won't start or anything  s:) :) s:)
Mechanical gave it a good bill of health, only advisories but I like my cars to be perfect you see  s;) ;) s;)

Still, very funny  s:P :P s:P

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Oh and ECL is on, bank 1 or 2 apparently (only had one replaced by dealer, second will be fitted FOC soon).
So...it mite not have a cat I suppose..got 12 months ticket though.

Bits for sale!

MayerT

Did you find out what type of exhaust this was? Very curious!

Two's Company

I have a H&s and it doesn't sound like your descriptions. Louder than stock in a good way - drones a bit at 3k revs on motorway but stay over 3k revs and it is fine.

trickyD

Oops, sorry!
Mechanic assured me its stainless, so maybe a Hayward?
I need to get my arse over to Bas and ask them, maybe they can stick some new pipes on the end as well :S

I hope it is H&S  s:D :D s:D

So long as I don't go on the motorway it's actually nice...

Bits for sale!

Two's Company

You're in luck if it is because a new one is over £500 nowadays. I can't tell from you're pictures. There used to be sound clips on the site if you want to search and compare.

trickyD

Having said all that about H&S, looking at the pic mine appears to drop/slope down towards the front and the Hayward slopes down towards the back of the car. This would make it a different item...

Anyway, I need to resurrect this thread as I did another motorway journey and it has to go!

Anyone in Essex, Herts, south Cambs, south Suffolk (poss North Kent) have a standard unit for sale at a cheap price? I just missed one on eBay for £30, gutted.

If you fancy a track or fun only zorst then I will be selling mine after the swap, though I've kind of stiffed the sale potential with this thread!

Bits for sale!

loadswine

I have one here, but guess I'm a bit too far away, in Surrey.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

trickyD

Thanks, but I think I'd rather not travel more than 30-40mins

Bits for sale!

Urban

I have a mint standard system in norwich

trickyD

That might be a bit far from me, cheers
1hr 45 minute drive each way.

Thanks though, and I realize this is all making me sound very picky!
(Which I can be)
 s;) ;) s;)

Bits for sale!

Anonymous

maybe you could do a trade with a member who has a standard system and wants a noisy one. I can help with fitting if you needed it.

trickyD

Thanks, that's a great offer  s:) :) s:)

I had kind of hoped to make a couple of pennies on it to pay for my brakes but perhaps I'm dreaming?
Lets see how desperate things get with offers  s:) :) s:)

Bits for sale!

Anonymous

Quote from: "trickyD"Thanks, that's a great offer  s:) :) s:)

I had kind of hoped to make a couple of pennies on it to pay for my brakes but perhaps I'm dreaming?

Offers are not aloud on here im afraid, best to put up a price with the conditions if your going to look at an exchange.

markiii

would help if you knew what it was if your going to sell it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

trickyD

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "trickyD"Thanks, that's a great offer  s:) :) s:)

Offers are not aloud on here I'm afraid, best to put up a price with the conditions if your going to look at an exchange.

The first offer referred to the offer of help fitting it, the second offer refers to offers to me of purchasing an exhaust, of which there have been quite a few. All offers have been out in the open with prices associated. Not sure if you've misread something?

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Quote from: "markiii"would help if you knew what it was if your going to sell it
Indeed, once it's off I can inspect properly.
I'm sure someone will want it...

Bits for sale!

Tags: