Rear knock - CV's or gearbox?

Started by scipio, February 11, 2013, 12:18

scipio

Hi all - I have searched the forum for more info and have come up with nothing except this thread  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31283&p=381777&hilit=driveshaft#p381777 l  - which does not show/tell me much.

Does anyone know of a thread with pics that will give me an idea of how to go about stripping the shafts from the hubs and gearbox. Its always easier if you know where to start, what to look out for and what not to do!

Symptoms: A regular muffled knock whilst the car is moving. When the gearbox is disengaged the knocking continues - also continues when I depress the clutch - it is definitely not the engine (pretty sure of that) but must be drive-shaft, diff or gearbox related? Noise is louder under acceleration but that is logical, I figure. Noise is still there even if I am just free-wheeling.

Read about input-shaft-bearings being a known issue - any more info?
Hope this is just CV's! Cannot see any damage to CV boots (gators).

Help?  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

carolineasb

I had a knocking noise in our Oldie (2001 PFL) which I thought was coming from the engine bay as it appeared to be coming from behind my right ear when I was driving (RHD).  Actually, turned out to be the lock in the driver's door rattling with movement and needed adjustment - very strange!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Tags: