Induction system mod.(Pics added)

Started by Zonda_, February 21, 2013, 20:54

dkirkwood89

Are your silicone hoses flexible or did you just use the std rigid ones? I know what you mean, it looks just like the hose on the back of my tumble drier lol

Can't wait to get it in to it now. Going to measure it tonight then look for the silicone hoses online
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Anonymous

should be 3", but let us know if not! thanks. take pics along the way!

dkirkwood89

ah bugger forgot to go out and get it lol (got it sent to my parents)

Will definitely take pics a long the way though  s:) :) s:)

dj/mark - what end of the filter goes into the inlet manifold and what end is the inlet of the filter?

dj2k21

From memory I don't think it matters which way buddy.  Both the same as far as I recall.

My silicone are the rigid type. Once you know what lengths and bends you need you just order them to suit  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

dkirkwood89

Brilliant  s:) :) s:)

I'll have to head round tomorrow to bring it round (I just get everything sent to my parents because the postman knows where to put parcels when they're not there lol)

I'll keep you's updated

Anonymous

If you look in the canister you should be able to see what is effectively a cone filter. Personally I would fit the box so the filter is facing the way that it would normally be installed if the carbon box wasn't there.

dkirkwood89

Cheers Mark, that's the way I was thinking of going

Whitley78

Quote from: "dkirkwood89"Are your silicone hoses flexible or did you just use the std rigid ones? I know what you mean, it looks just like the hose on the back of my tumble drier lol

Can't wait to get it in to it now. Going to measure it tonight then look for the silicone hoses online

Hi dkirkwood89,

Did you have any joy with the hoses?

Probably going to order one of the CBS filters too   s:) :) s:)
MR2 Owner since Jan 2015 (Pre-facelift)
MattPerformance Engine Re-build
SP body brace

dkirkwood89

Yeah I ordered them from AutoSiliconeHoses - look a good job but haven't got round to fitting anything yet cs im still waiting on my MAF Adapter arriving  s:( :( s:(

I'll stick some photos up of what I have at the minute at the weekend  s:) :) s:)

dkirkwood89

Finally got this done lol gives a great sound when flooring it like you said, but still nice and quite when just pottering about town

mr-ed_smt

Just to add to this thread - I've recently bought the Car Builders Solution (CBS) carbon airbox, and I've been able to compare it to the identical one on ebay for around half the price that a friend bought. I can confirm that they are indeed identical - right down to the moulding marks on the plastic end caps. Both have fine steel mesh filters (i.e. no cotton). SO if you're considering one of these, save your money and go for the ebay one!
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

dkirkwood89

Good to hear  :-) :-) :-)

Jock

Help needed.
I am trying to fit a BMC CDA behind the battery and cannot get it in   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  .  Smutty comments and jokes will be well received after I fit in   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

I have the box recommended by BMC for >1600cc engines.  Dimensions 200l x 150d, the air inlet is 80 and outlet 82.
There is a smaller box available with 185l x 130d and outlet 70mm, but only recommended for < 1600cc.
Pics to follow which shows the Elise Maf holder and SFS 45deg bend in place.

I have removed the battery bracket for access.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Just another point is I understand that the CBS lookalike is 200l x 130d and 75mm orifices.

mr-ed_smt

Here's a picture of mine. I'm using the Elise parts MAF adaptor and the CBS carbon filter can.

I had to trim the silicone elbow right down to get it to fit, and also cut off the bracket on the bulkhead (you can just about see where I cut it off, above  the left hand end of the carbon canister).
I've moved my battery to the front too.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Jock

Thanks!!!!
I thought the bracket could go as it just keeps the electrics in the way.
I ran up the engine without the filter and all ok (briefly in the garage).  I left the spacers off the Maf screws because with them in place this left the plastic sensor just proud although the "o" ring was well in.
Wondered if you used the spacers or not?
Much appreciated the reply and the pic   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

TiM3

I bought the BMC CDA (the larger one) I have battery up front and whatever I did couldn't get it to fit and still achieve a sensible route to the side vent. It's that bump in the bulkhead that causes the issue even if you drill out the little bracket.

Shame as they are a well made thing, I ended up selling mine and locating a cone right out into the airflow in the side vent

I also stuck a side vent on to ensure plenty of cool air.
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

dkirkwood89

Hows the cone working for you? Running well?

I ended up going back to stock as my wife was driving the car daily and didn't really like it. Also, I had bought a cheap MAF holder and it didn't work well as the diameter wasn't right. I've bought a spare standard airbox and going to cut the holder out of it and then re-do the induction kit. This won't be for a few weeks though as I'm changing job and will have more time once I do

Dale

TiM3

It runs well on the cone, it's a fairly large Jetex one and the cone shape lets it push right up to the back of the side vent. I use the Eliseparts MAF holder which also works well. The setup is very loud though, really screams at high revs (2zz probably adds to this) not a problem for the track, but might be bit wearing on the road.
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

Jock

Progress   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  .
Bracket removed and silicone hoses trimmed, been in and out more times than a proverbial   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  :

Next bit the battery (no wonder hens get upset)   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

More room in a sardine can, but clearly you can fit   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

dkirkwood89

Looks good Jock

You happy with the sound?

I'm hoping to get mine sorted over Christmas

Jock

Thanks   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .
Yes also happy with the sound, but not really the reason for the install.  I did not run mine on the road before also adding the Cobra Quad so hard to isolate one from the other.  I did have a tick-over in the garage, with standard, no filter and then the BMC and its more obvious outside than inside the car. Especially from the nearside air vent   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .
You'll see from the earlier bits in this thread that mr-ed_smt moved the battery.  I have mine in place but altered the position of the securing bracket.  This gives you about 20mm extra which you'll need.
You will really need to trim back the hoses, which you'll see from mr-ed and my pics.
Have fun   s:D :D s:D  .

AND you'll need to get rid of that bracket   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Jock

After 2 months I finally have a reply from BMC in Italy regarding the size and spec for the CDA.  No use to me now, but maybe helpful   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .

"I think that even the smaller CDA (ACCDA70-130) can work on your car. It will surely perform better than the standard OE filter.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further clarification.

Kind regards,

Alessandro

BMC AIR FILTERS
Alessandro Galletti – Area Manager"

This means a saving of 15mm on length and 20mm on diameter from the ACCDA85-150 which was recommended for cars over 1600cc.  Cheaper too   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  .

dkirkwood89

I finally got round to putting in my CBS BMC style air filter last night   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  lol

going really well, but the engine light came on today and I had to put more oil in. Battery was reset but engine light back on, haven't had a chance to connect my EML tester to see what the code is yet.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I haven't done the 10 minute battery disconnect and couple of hard drives to reset it yet.

Dale

Jock

Getting there Dale   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
You are a daft bugger if you did the work with the battery connected   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Anyway, you do not need hard drives, so check your code and see what's recorded.  Depending on the reader you have it may have the facility to re-set codes.
I suggest you carefully check the joints between the MAF sensor and the manifold.  If these are not properly tightened you could be sucking air   s:? :? s:?  
Another thought is the MAF sensor holder.  What have you done here ?

dkirkwood89

I know lol kicking myself now

I bought a spare air box and cut it down to use it as I had a bit of bother with a universal one I got before

I think I'll disconnect the battery later, spray the MAF then take it to training. It'll get sitting an hour and half then a drive home so will know better then. If the EML light comes back on ill check it when I get to the training, think I can reset it with mine

Tags: