Induction system mod.(Pics added)

Started by Zonda_, February 21, 2013, 20:54

dkirkwood89

So I disconnected the battery for ten minutes then drove home but the EML came back on - P0136 P and P0141.

The last time I tried to put the induction kit in I got the exact same error, ie P0141, but not the other one. That was about a year ago. Not sure if this is just a coincidence so I might just reset the codes with ODB reader and see if they come back on
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Jock

Have you been driving the car without EML issues before doing the induction work?

If so the you need to carefully go over the things you have done  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The sensors and wiring are not the most robust   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

dkirkwood89

Yeah just since the induction kit went in

I'll get a look on friday. Its just strange that it's an 02 sensor that is showing just. Maybe try taking it out and back in as well checking the wiring

AndyM

It sounds to me like air getting in behind the MAF.

If it isn't properly sealed then the MAF will be showing a lower airflow than the engine is actually getting, it'll then adjust the mix incorrectly and the exhaust O2 sensors could be going outside their voltage tolerance and throwing the error.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Jock

+1 AndyM.

Dale take a look at the earlier pics in this thread.  If you have installed as your earlier post last year then you are missing worm drive hose clips either side of the MAF holder  s:? :? s:?  
Compare with mr_ed_smt and mine.
If you want to check this then you can run the engine without the filter and use the spare clips to properly secure the MAF holder and make sure the MAF sensor is properly seated   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

dkirkwood89

AndyM/Jock cheers   s:) :) s:)  that makes sense

I'll get a look on Friday after work, won't get any time until then

FYI I ended up putting it where the standard airbox was and running the ducting to the duct behind the light. I'll get some pictures up on Friday when its (hopefully) fixed and I have my BMC CDA sticker stuck on it lol

dkirkwood89

I got sorted with the EML light... turned out we had just forgot to reconnect the connection at the coolant bottle   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Only noticed it when I took the light off on Friday as the other end was tucked neatly under the piping

All good now   s:D :D s:D

I added an image...in my own thread below so I would stop taking up this one   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  sorry

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53985

Tonys track hack

Is there any crankcase vent lines to worry about when doing this type of mod or are those gases dealt with another way? I'll be aiming to run a catch can in the long run but haven't seen any mention of it here
Form is temporary, class is permanent

dkirkwood89

Quote from: "Tonys track hack"Is there any crankcase vent lines to worry about when doing this type of mod or are those gases dealt with another way? I'll be aiming to run a catch can in the long run but haven't seen any mention of it here

I haven't heard it being mentioned before Tony, unless anyone else can shed any light on this

js1mr2

How does the Elise-parts MAF housing tube compare with cutting off this section of the airbox? I noticed inside the plastice airbox MAF housing there are two vanes for channeling air that are missing from the Elise-parts MAF housing tube.

Is this the one you're using https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/41/725/toyota-air-feed/ or is there another one available as this is only listed for 2zz-ge Elises?

Jock

That's the correct part as shown in my installation but a tad more expensive than it was   s:( :( s:(  .
Have a search about on here as a few members have modified boxes as Dale has done, which seems to work better than the universal MAF holder that Dale tried last year.
So compare?
The Elise feed is a simple install and no performance or sensor issues.  Others may come on and give more details or pics of the cut-down, but simply the vanes are there to channel the air from the box - which you no longer have   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

dkirkwood89

If you look on here you'll get a decent image of how another member cut up his airbox

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49042&hilit=induction

it's about half way down the first page. That's the same as how I cut mine and there have been no issues at all. I managed to pick mine up on ebay - full airbox with MAF sensor for £15

Dale

AndyM

There has been discussion about the vanes before both on here and on Spyderchat.

The airbag version has them primarily to regulate the airflow into the MAF which is very turbulent. If you think about it the air is coming around two 90 degree angles in the engine bay, then into the lower half of the box, 90 degrees again up through the filter and then 90 degrees back towards the throttle body... very messy.

However, in a less turbulent installation they will be less important. The main decent third party induction kits like the K&N and PPE don't feature them as they are more or less a straight line from the intake to the engine. I built mine using the alloy housing from a PE turbo kit (without vanes) and it's been great.

js1mr2

Ok thanks for explaining about the vanes, that makes sense. I've bought a section of 70mm diameter silicone pipe with a 45 degree bend, a K&N filter and a secondhand airbox which I have cut the maf housing tube off. I'm going to fit it and if I decide to keep it then buy the lotus parts MAF housing pipe.

I did try an Apexi induction kit a while ago and liked the increased throttle response, sound and pull at high revs but felt it lost too much low and mid range power and made the power delivery pretty lumpy. However the Apexi did locate the cone filter where the stock airbox is so it suffered a lot from heat soak.

I've got to cut the section of silicone pipe down, how long is the section you're using and do you have any problems with the filter moving around, hitting the battery or bulkhead and  getting damaged?

Jock

Which install are you asking about   s:? :? s:?   ?

js1mr2

Any of the ones that locate behind the battery and aren't secured apart from by the intake pipe.

AndyM

I'll try and measure the pipe for you tomorrow. Mine was dictated by the space needed for the heat shield but without you could get it deeper down towards the vent if you wanted.

Movement wise it's been fine. I was originally going to make a bracket to secure it to the battery mount but it was proving fiddly. It literally moves about a mm given how tightly packaged it is with the shield so decided not to bother (also the shield physically protects it too).

All in all I'm happy with mine. Sounds good, no heat soak that I've noticed and feels like it pulls a little better through the range (certainly no worse than my old K&N panel/markiii pipe combo which was noticeably better than stock at the low end).

Jock

OK my install is all supported by the hose connections which hang off the inlet manifold.  As with AndyM I looked at a bracket for support.  In my case the BMC comes with a bracket.  However with the LOA and the Elise feed none was required.  I have stuck door frame draft excluder on the back of the filter between bulkhead and battery support, but no sign of wear and no vibration evident.  If you look at the earlier posts you will see that Mr-Ed_Smt and I removed the bulkhead bracket and in my case ground the protruding screw for access.
So far as measurements I followed the bit by bit process.  First shave the 45 degree connection at both ends so that you get a firm connection but not cause disturbance in flow.  Next trim the joint between MAF holder and filter (if BMC) to allow for space and solid connection.  If a cone like AndyM this distance will be to place the filter nearer the airflow from the vent.  Next decide if you want or have space for a flexi on the intake side to direct air.
Simples   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

js1mr2

I fitted mine yesterday. Really pleased with the performance and sound improvement, it doesn't seem to have lost any low end torque, still able to drive at 30mph in 6th on flat, but it definitely seems to pull harder and rev quicker higher up the rev range. When I have the accelerator just lightly down at low revs it does make quite a noticeable hissing noise, does anyone else have this? I'm using a k&n cone attached to a chopped up maf housing from a stock air box.

Jock

Come on post a pic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

AndyM

Quote from: "js1mr2"When I have the accelerator just lightly down at low revs it does make quite a noticeable hissing noise, does anyone else have this?

Yep  s:) :) s:)  Mine with the Apexi on it you can basically hear the engine taking a deep breath on throttle, and then a growl as you move up the revs. Goes nicely with the exhaust note when pushing on I find.

Jock

+1 AndyM.  Think your Apexi has more sound transfer than the BMC CDA.  Like a peaceful intro for the rest of the band - harmonies with Cobra cool   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

js1mr2

Quote from: "Jock"Come on post a pic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygh2sjks33tc6nw/k%26n.jpg?dl=0

Just a bit of a test fit, really pleased with the performance result after a week of driving so I've bought the (extortionately priced) eliseparts maf housing. It's shorter then the section of plastic maf housing from the air box I'm using so when I fit it I'll adjust the length and angle of the silicone pipe as currently the filter is resting on a hose in the pic.

I do like the noise when accelerating but I am surprised by just how loudly it hisses, I had a k&n cone filter on a pug 306, civic vti, s2000 and mk2 mr2 and none of those hissed!

Jock

Glad your sorted   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

tets

m https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyl4hjzxfasrh ... 5.JPG?dl=0 m

Here's one i'm constructing - its cost about 25 quid so far!!

Tags: