WHITE MARKS UNDER THE LACQUER AFTER SNOW

Started by Anonymous, February 23, 2013, 13:18

Anonymous

I HAVE A 2004 MR2 I HAVE HAD IT FOR 6 YEARS . LAST MONTH WE HAD SNOW WHEN THE SNOW MELTED THERE WERE WHITE MARKS ALL OVER THE CAR THE MARKS WERE UNDER THE LACQUER . I TOOK IT TO A BODY SHOP THE BOSS TRYED TO BUFF IT OUT AFTER 5MIN TRYING  HE SAID IT WAS UNDER THE LACQUER HE SAID HE HAD NEVER SEENTHIS BEFORE .HE TOLD ME I WOULD NEED A FULL RESPRAY AT £1,400 HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SNOW OR COLD. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THE CAR ANY OTHER YEARS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS ROADSTER  s:( :( s:(

peteopc

I had this as well, mines red. The body shop I used blame the quality of the laquer that Toyota used. It apparently develops cracks that can't be seen and then the damp and cold get in the cracks. Apparently its not common these days for solid paints to be laquered for this reason, the laquer on metallics is thicker from the factory to combat this type of problem. The respraying that I have had done doesn't use laquer, modern solid paints don't need it and are designed not to be laquered.

simers

Quote from: "peteopc"I had this as well, mines red. The body shop I used blame the quality of the laquer that Toyota used. It apparently develops cracks that can't be seen and then the damp and cold get in the cracks. Apparently its not common these days for solid paints to be laquered for this reason, the laquer on metallics is thicker from the factory to combat this type of problem. The respraying that I have had done doesn't use laquer, modern solid paints don't need it and are designed not to be laquered.
It's technically against the law to use solid colours on a car nowadays since the water base rubbish was brought in...
If the car is lacquered properly you should not have the issue of white spots... When I'm spraying a car I use a minimum of 4 coats of lacquer on it...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

trevsmr2

Quote from: "australia"I HAVE A 2004 MR2 I HAVE HAD IT FOR 6 YEARS . LAST MONTH WE HAD SNOW WHEN THE SNOW MELTED THERE WERE WHITE MARKS ALL OVER THE CAR THE MARKS WERE UNDER THE LACQUER . I TOOK IT TO A BODY SHOP THE BOSS TRYED TO BUFF IT OUT AFTER 5MIN TRYING  HE SAID IT WAS UNDER THE LACQUER HE SAID HE HAD NEVER SEENTHIS BEFORE .HE TOLD ME I WOULD NEED A FULL RESPRAY AT £1,400 HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SNOW OR COLD. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH THE CAR ANY OTHER YEARS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS ROADSTER  s:( :( s:(

Funny you should mention this ,ive noticed the same ,marks were not there last year ,

cabbydave

+1 about Solid colours it does sound like water under the laquer you could try warming the spots up with a hair drier to evaporate the water then wax the panel a few times

normanh

I think this is very common in the chilli red colour, I have this on both wing mirrors and one door handle wil peeling lacquer additionally where I have had a boot rack on the white marks appear but slowly disappear. The lacquer appears pretty thick to me and there is a strong relationship with water and the bond of the lacquer to the paint. The white appears as the 2 layers seperate due to a failing bond and water gets in through a slightly porous surface.

Norman

Markb

Same here,04 chilli red.....polished the car last october,not a mark on it,noticed a few white spots last week.Tbh i'm sorry i bought a non metallic car especially red,i always said i never would.

simers

I had the same problem with my 2 and I just repainted the whole car to stop it from happening again... It worked too... There is no way of gettin rid of them permanently unless you respray the affected panels...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Tags: