2000 mr2 splutters when it hits 3000 revs

Started by jaden13, February 23, 2013, 13:19

jaden13

Hi every one,

I recently had to replace a coil as the engine management light came on and the car kept loosing power.
The car drove great after it had been replaced but had a nightmare as the oil cap wasn't put on correctly after oil was put in and oil went everywhere after driving it....

I drove it yesterday and the car would rev fine up to 3000 revs then splutter then after it would drive fine / quick, it seems to be at the 3000 mark that it splutters ... Is this a common thing or could it just be a case that the oil has got into somewhere  s:-( :-( s:-(  

Have a friend looking at it today & praying it isn't the fuel injectors!

StuC

Sounds similar to a few others this week. Have a go at cleaning your. MAF sensor. Might be an easy cheap fix.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

jaden13

Cleaned MAF sensor & plugs and it seems to be back to normal  s:-D :-D s:-D  - the smoke from the exhaust is blue, but I am hoping this is to do with the oil going everywhere ...

loadswine

Good to see that it runs better now and I hope you get a result with the oil, but it is likely to be burning it, if it was that low when you checked it. Watching the oil level like a hawk would be very sensible.
Good luck with it.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

jaden13

I think I spoke to soon with it running better! Doh! Have just picked up some new plugs so hopefully it will work  s:-( :-( s:-(  I'm not having much luck with cars at the moment. Thanks for your help

mrzwei

Worth a look at the old plugs to see if there is any evidence of oil burning.
 w www.triumphspitfire.nl/plugs.html w
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Andys-N20

After your checks you have already done... If the plugs dont fix it I would start looking at the injectors.
Did you not get a chance to get your codes read?
Maybe if its been burning oil, it may have got the plugs all covered in muck. May be a connection there.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

jaden13

Put the new plugs in & it ran fine no more smokey exhaust or splutter. But now the car lags sooooo much power and doesn't sound right at all..... Thinking the head gasket has gone / need to replace piston rings ....

When I replaced old plugs... They were very black / looked burnt

Definitely not doing well with this car at all!

Hopefully when all these bits are sorted it will be ok for a while....

Wabbitkilla

Have you reset the ecu when cleaning the maf and replacing the plugs?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

jaden13

Yes, the ECU was reset  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: