Water level problem.

Started by Zonda_, February 23, 2013, 14:31

Zonda_

I've been monitoring my water level over the past few days and I can't work out what's going on!  I come in after a drive where the engine is fully warmed up, check the water level and it's barely visible in the header tank. Undo the top of the tank after it's cooled down a bit and the level shoots up to way above High. The temperature gauge never moves higher than half way.  I'm assuming it's an airlock but I've had the car running on the drive with the top off the header tank, watched the level rise to the point of over-flowing and then drop right down again which I assumed would have been the air escaping for the system but it's still the same?

Help!
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

loadswine

Have a look at the bleeding procedure mentioned here
 l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20138 l
It may help, particularly if you haven't yet used the bleed point on the front firewall.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Zonda_

Thanks for that, I don't have ramps and our drive is on a slope so I think it'll have to be done when it goes in for its intake mod.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

loadswine

Use the slope of your drive instead of ramps, perhaps. I do that with mine. Its just a matter of making one end of the car higher than the other really.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Zonda_

Will give it a try tomorrow if the weather warms up, don't want the snow topping up the tank while I'm working!

dj2k21

Just leave the car running and undo the tap on the front mate, sorted. Me and tom did mine woth me having 2 radiators

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

I'll have to have a look for the tap tomorrow, never seen it!

dj2k21

You will need to remove the plastics from the front mate. Very easy just push the middle of those plastic clips in and they pop out. The tap is on the firewall with about a foot of clear hose attached tp ot coiled up. Just turn the tap and the water will start to come out.  Once u dont see any air bubbles anymore u know its done. Remember ur going to need to keep pouring water in the tank in the engine bay as ur doing it so u dont empty the system of water

[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

kentsmudger

Tap is here -
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

kentsmudger

Quote from: "dj2k21"You will need to remove the plastics from the front mate. Very easy just push the middle of those plastic clips in and they pop out. The tap is on the firewall with about a foot of clear hose attached tp ot coiled up. Just turn the tap and the COOLANT will start to come out.  Once u dont see any air bubbles anymore u know its done. Remember your going to need to keep pouring COOLANT in the tank in the engine bay as your doing it so u dont empty the system of COOLANT
Don't use water in there!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

dj2k21

As long as its got some anti freeze in there, there is no reason at all u cant put water in there. Ive never had a single issue at all using water. As said 100% water is a no no but im usually a 50/50 mix. Im pretty sure the op isnt that nieve to only use water really.

Tags: