Short Shifter

Started by SFerrari, February 26, 2013, 15:08

trevsmr2

Quote from: "mr mr2"
Quote from: "mr mr2"Every time i log on I see some thing eles I want are these easy to fit ??

Theres a how to in a post above
easy enough to fit , but the seats have to come out to remove the centre console

Anonymous

Quote from: "SFerrari"Here is the thread explaining how to install it (easy enough I'd say) :

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12588 l

SFerrari

In addition to the short shifter, is it really necessary/recommended, to fit :

- Shifter base brushings ?
- Shifter cable brushing set ?

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index ... =43_67_138 m

trevsmr2

Quote from: "SFerrari"In addition to the short shifter, is it really necessary/recommended, to fit :

I removed the bushes completely ,and bolted the cage direct to the car ,just to see what it was like, and make the lever shorter
felt a lot better and made the change smoother (in my opinion)

dj2k21

The bushings do make a difference especially with agressive shifting.  I forgot to replace mine when doing the trd one and drove it a few weeks and it was fine but then I fitted them and wow much improved again
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

Where sells the bushings in the UK?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

SFerrari

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "SFerrari"In addition to the short shifter, is it really necessary/recommended, to fit :

I removed the bushes completely ,and bolted the cage direct to the car ,just to see what it was like, and make the lever shorter
felt a lot better and made the change smoother (in my opinion)

Oh nice, so the shorter shifter + no bushes at all under the cage (so direct bolting to the car) and the result is that good   s:D :D s:D   !! Great, but I imagine the lever migh feel very very short having the short shifter and no bushes ?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dj2k21

Quote from: "Zonda_"Where sells the bushings in the UK?

I got mine with the kit bit best off with some twosrus ones from the states. There pennies to be fair
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

Well I've ordered one.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

SFerrari

Quote from: "Zonda_"Well I've ordered one.
Where from did you order one (website) ?

Zonda_

The ebay link I posted.

SFerrari

Quote from: "Zonda_"The ebay link I posted.

Ok fair enough   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Do they also sale the bushes (base and cable), not sure they do ?!

I'm also about to buy it from there   s8) 8) s8)

Zonda_

I don't think so but I'm not going to fit them anyway.

onion86

Quote from: "Zonda_"
Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "Zonda_"Looks the same to me, when you factor in the exchange rate the MWR one is pretty much the same price.
What exchange rate are you using?   s:o :o s:o  $104.70 = £69 according to Google, which is not pretty much the same price as £33.48!

That price is with delivery though,  it's 49 dollars to buy which puts it pretty much the same price
Sorry that's alright then I guess you were planning to go and pick it up to skip the delivery?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

P.S. you don't need to take the seats out to remove the centre console as Trev has said, I've managed to get mine undone (on 2 cars) easily by putting a socket spanner down the side of the seat... i.e. one of these:

and turning it with a pair of pliers, the screws are quite short so doesn't take too long  s:) :) s:)  Just leave them out and only put the rear screws back in, it's still solid enough.

Here shows the difference between the stock and the cheap eBay shifter:  m http://www.azekiel.co.uk/mrs/mods/shortshifter.html m , so without the 'bend' is sits forward a bit more, easy to get used to though.

*EDIT* I remembered I took some pics when I changed the eBay to TRD, here is a comparison (if you hadn't worked it out, eBay is closest to camera) :
http://www.azekiel.co.uk/mrs/images/shortShifters1.jpg - in 3rd gear position
http://www.azekiel.co.uk/mrs/images/shortShifters2.jpg - in 4th gear position
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Zonda_

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "Zonda_"
Quote from: "onion86"What exchange rate are you using?   s:o :o s:o  $104.70 = £69 according to Google, which is not pretty much the same price as £33.48!

That price is with delivery though,  it's 49 dollars to buy which puts it pretty much the same price

Sorry that's alright then I guess you were planning to go and pick it up to skip the delivery?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

No, I was simply illustrating that without delivery costs the 2 products were very similarly priced!

SFerrari

Anyone knows if the ebay knob below fits the ebay short shifter ?? (I've asked the seller but no answer so far) :

m http://cgi.ebay.fr/Toyota-Celica-MR2-Sh ... 415ab85aa4 m

m http://www.ebay.fr/itm/10mm-Gearknob-St ... 4ab34c5649 m

Edit : I got the answer in the mean-time : the gear knob doesn't fit this short shifter.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Where from to get a very simple aluminium oval or round knob that would fit ??

Anonymous

Damn u guys!!! :p

When i asked about short shifters - whilst i had my car in peices you told me its stiff, and makes changing gears longer or something...

Yet on this post aparently its easy to fit, plus its a massive benefit...

^.^ oh well.. would of probably changed my insurance anyway! (which i dont want to do).

No grudges held  s:P :P s:P

nathanMR2

Who told you that?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

loadswine

You are quite right, it is a marmite mod, some love it, some hate it. Makes a stiff change worse and will take a little more effort to change gear, though the throw will be shorter. I'm not a fan of them, but lots are!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AckersMR2

I'm not a fan of the idea, the off centre neutral would bug the hell out of me and the proper TRD one is too expensive imo, has anyone tried just shortening and re threading the standard one?
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"Just to throw a pebble in the pond, this short shift debate has been around before.
The short shift requires a smaller hand movement but more force. For that reason there was a suggestion that you may actually get a better result with a longer shift, ie. a longer throw but much less force required. At some point I guess the speed of the change would be the same.
The short shift wins in the looks department but, to use my Z3 as an example (sorry   s:D :D s:D  ), the standard shifter  looks good but is really heavy to move around and would probably benefit from a longer throw.
I had a mildly tuned 100E van (long levered, old fashioned three speed, direct into the box) which was converted to a remote short shift arrangement which looked the part, had a much shorter throw, but became quite heavy to use.

To do or not to do is a trade off I think.

First

Quote from: "loadswine"Its a personal preference thing for sure. I had a short shifter on one of my Roadsters, but didn't like it much. I prefer the stock stick, but with really good bushings at the gearbox end. Loads of others love their short shifts though and it works for them.
One word of advice though, if you have a sticky or notchy gearshift at all, then it is likely to make it harder to use with a short shifter.

Second

Quote from: "Carbon RX"Long shifters may take more movement but less time off the wheel in general. Thats why most pro and AM drifters all use this method/setup. In everyday driving i think less is more  s:) :) s:)

Third

nathanMR2

Interesting. You really need to drive someones car who has one to see if its for you. I remember E was considering a short shifter and I let him drive my car. He brought one shortly after this as a result.

For me this is a sports car, everything ive done to the car so far (and continue to do) is to make the car more even more sporty; lots of bracing, good tyres, good wheels, uprated ARB's, uprated drop links, turbo, uprated engine mounts, coilovers. Some of these mods help with looks, a lot don't. I don't see that any of the mods ive done listed are really for comfort. So if it's a little more effort to change gear then so be it. What I do like it the more precise, sporty, connected, mechanical feel you get from it. The off centre stick is really not an issue. I don't even notice it.

Anonymous

Nathan, ill look at yours at next meet... if we get a chance, maybe you could  please demonstrate it for me  s:) :) s:)

Rich

nathanMR2

If you've got Driving Other Cars insurance cover ill let you take it round the block to try it. You may not have though.

SFerrari

Something came to my mind, it might be wierd, don't know, but :

Why not to combine best of both worlds (stock shaft and short shifter) by :

shortening the upper shaft part (where the knob stands), by 2 or 3 cm, so you keep the kink in place, and then you extend the shaft in the lower part (cutting it and welding a 2 or 3cm steel bar).

As per the pic below (compared to stock, the shaft is shorter on the upper part and longer on the lower part, but by how much ??) :

Tags: