Steering wheel vibration

Started by alexm9, February 28, 2013, 12:00

alexm9

Hi all.

I have some vibration noticeable through the steering wheel at varying speeds, most notably at higher speeds.  Although it's at it's worst on uneven country roads, it's still present at steady speeds on the motorway / dual carriageway.

I've checked and rechecked all the obvious, including:

-Tracking (this has been done)
-Wheel balancing (all 4 wheels)
-Brakes
-Wheel bearings
-Suspension components and linkages

After getting nowhere, I asked a garage to take a look.  They can't find anything either.

I'm starting to think the problem is actually me.

So my main question is, how much vibration should one expect through the steering wheel of an MR2 Roadster?  My second question, if you feel the above is a concern, is what could be causing this?

iPap

I spent two years getting rid of mine.

The final thing was a full 4 wheel alignment from Matt Perforance as others seem to have never got it right.

Other things included:

Chassis brace, front brace, facelift plastic under bumper downforce producing things, two sets of wheels, loads of tyres and balancing, two set of discs, hub sanding, drop links, roll bars, loads of new bushes, and probably more.

I nearly sold the car over it!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

iPap

Sorry, double post!!!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

alexm9

Thanks for your reply.

Any other help boys and girls?

Wabbitkilla

Are you running standard wheels?
A buckled wheel in itself can be balanced, but will still present a wheel wobble.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

alexm9

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Are you running standard wheels?
A buckled wheel in itself can be balanced, but will still present a wheel wobble.

Yes, standard 16"/15" wheels on Toyo T1Rs, 26 PSI front 34 rear.

Tags: