Started by Anonymous, June 7, 2004, 18:25

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"On a side note, have been speaking to Pace Race Products and they can do a charge cooler set up for about £650 once that have seen the mota to gauge space/pipes etc.  Hoping to take a run over there this week for them to have a look, will keep you updated  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Please do matey, I was thinking about using there stuff anyway, I think they do a few different sized units so it wouldn't be to hard to graft one on me thinks. Will be looking at this in a few weeks time once the kits on and finished off messing about with my Supra.

Anonymous

Anonymous

How did you get on?

Anonymous

GSB

Quote from: "perry190"They did say tho that the first option would be the most efficient with charge temps actually being less than ambient in most cases.

Now, perhaps my A level physics is a bit rusty, but less than ambient? How?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

SteveJ

Quote from: "perry190"ok, ok .....   :-) :-) :-)  ambient as in temp of the air passing the maf at point of entry

That will only be right if you are breathing air that is above the external temperature which as we all know is a bad idea to start with.

Have you looked at the cryo-genic cooling systems that are available that use liquid CO2 - either as heat-exchangers in the air flow or by spraying liquid CO2 onto the air-air intercooler.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"Ooops...forgot I said I would report  :-) :-) :-)

very helpful guys indeed. Spoke to three all told inc the chap who designed the charge cooler set up for the vx220 turbo

They climbed all over the mota and basically decided that the best option was to move the battery either to the front, or upgrade to a small racing battery that could go into the middle of the storage cubbys so not taking any space for the two bags.   If you go for an option like that you can then fit a 4 core super duper charge cooler in there and boost to your hearts content.

pre-rad wise we can fit a huge one at the front (dependant on your bumper opening with any a/market kit etc) and that would not be a problem

pump wise they suggested an upgraded one to ensure rapid cooling over the nength of the system (front to back)  also the pipe runs would add extra cooling if placed correctly

conclusions:-

at present I would prefer not to move the battery if i can help it, so I am still looking at either the barrel type coolers 'spearco' 'mwr' etc or PACE

will be taking my battery out at the weekend and reporting back to them with dimensions etc to see what else is an option.

I've got to say they were very helpful and even looked at a possible scenario where the cooler would be placed below the engine with a fabricated scoop to add cooling air flow but decided it wouldnt be efficient enough.

They did say tho that the first option would be the most efficient with charge temps actually being less than ambient in most cases.

Couldn't a smaller cooler be used, I haven't seen there range yet but I think they do 3 or 4 different sizes? Must be one that fits in there without moving the battery?

Also couldn't the pre-rad be mounted in one of the side air vents to save a bit of pissing about?

Cheers

SteveJ

Quote from: "perry190"
Quote from: "SteveJ"That will only be right if you are breathing air that is above the external temperature which as we all know is a bad idea to start with.

any MR2 turbo set up with an open filter will be taking in air hotter than outside thats unfortunately a fact due to the turbo heating up the engine bay, so unavoidable?

TTE have used the stock airbox breathing from the side vent as in the NA car, with a de-restricted pipe on the airbox inlet, as the stock filter allows more than enough air through when running at 200+ bhp

SteveJ

Quote from: "Whifbitz"Also couldn't the pre-rad be mounted in one of the side air vents to save a bit of pissing about?

Cheers

Nope - the air vents are actually low pressure areas at certain speeds, and air flows out not in which would have the opposite effect to that desired.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anyone that wants to see the pace stuff go here  m http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/automotive-parts.shtml m  under bespoke chargecoolers.

It states the sizes there, so you really should be able to work out which will fit in. A chargecooler with an aquamist isn't neccessary, the WI on it's own does an as efficient job. I understand you want to lower the off boost temp so the need for a huge cooler isn't needed with your WI.

In all, IC and WI will compliment each other on boost and the IC will carry on working off boost.I would/will just add the biggest IC i can fit without modding the battery etc. NOT try and get the biggest IC to fit that will cool the air enough as if the aquamist wasn't there(unless you intend scrapping the aquamist?)

Anonymous

Anonymous

I had a look at there site earlier, looks like they will do the job perfectly to me, just got to work out which size will fit in there. I'll take a look at mine early next week if I get a chance.
On another subject any ideas on where to get a decat pipe from off the shelf? Cant find one anywhere....if not I'll get one made next week for it.
I can supply C-one bits yes, only problem is there a nightmare to get any discount out of them, price for the intakes in fibreglass would be £200 + VAT for a pair. Any others you like the look of?

Anonymous

Anonymous

There's a few about but all look pretty similar to the stock one unlike the C-one type, if I find anything else I'll let you know.

I'll get a pipe made up next week, must be restricting things a bit that std pipework.

Cheers

markiii

Quote from: "perry190"I'm nort aware of any others that would actually increase airflow unless you know of some on your travels?

on the decat pipe, after many nights of 'surfing' I came to the conclusion that no one makes one 'off the shelf' unless its to fit their own down pipe etc.    most buy an old cat section and get a pipe welded in

Top secret make one that fit, best bet is monkeywrench racing.

price wise though it's far cheaper to have one amde.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Tags: