**RANT** Saxo Drivers

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2004, 10:28

Anonymous

Grrrrrrr  

Right am driving to work this morning, going down the lanes like you do, not rushing particularly, following a Saxo.

I am in 4th gear where the MR2 is in its Element, just "gliding" through the corners without accelorating or anything, all of a sudden we get to a corner and the saxo slams on its anchors JUST on or just before the Apex, you can imagine what happened next.....

Oversteer.....over correction - smoke and he spun.

Grrrrrrr, i was following at a decent distance so stopped in time but what a prat, i mean he was going to fast for his driving levels so SLOW DOWN, i wasn't going fast, grrrrrr that'd have ruined my day and my car Grrr

W*nker........

PS he ended up facing wrong way of road and looking VERY pale rofl

Anonymous

My girlfriend owns a Saxo, and I occasionally drive it (if we ever need to carry something bigger than a small bag for instance).  It's probably just because I'm used to  the '2 but they feel really unsafe.  The brakes takes ages to stop and the body rolls around like its made out of cardboard.  They're meant to be chuckable, but I'd hate to get myself into a 'situation' with one.

Of course, slamming your breaks on mid-corner doesn't really help.

markiii

thats the problem, chuckable, don't handle though, and I've never yet found a french car with brakes that impressed me.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I've yet to find a french car that impressed me! Let alone the brakes. Although a mate did once have a spin in an alpine and said it was awesome.

I remember same mates 205 GT (not i). Bits would come of in your hand.

If the guy had a big exhaust on his Saxo it would have been even funnier.

markiii

if? I though it was compulsory to have a big exhaust ion your saxo?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"...and I've never yet found a french car with brakes that impressed me.

I read that as meaning you've only been impressed with French cars without brakes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Now that's what I call living life on the edge  s;) ;) s;)

MRMike

I had a 206 GTI and have to say the handling on that was incredible (definition of handling being on the limit controllability).  It was SO badly built though..if you think the 2 rattles badly have a go in one and you'll soon think the 2 is a vault.  The brakes as standard were crap as well

The 106 on which the Saxo was based was a much better handling car, the GTI is one of THE definitive front drivers IMO. I'd love to have one if I get the chance for a fun pocket rocket.

An alpine is a very fine car indeed, an A610 in yellow would be a great buy.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

but the delorean looks so much better

MRMike

And made more money...well less loss  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

That didn't come in yelllow though Mark
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

like I'd keep it stock  :-) :-) :-)

totally off topic, but junk the emissions gear, update the engine with renault tuning parts, lower the suspension, fit modern rubber, and paint it, and would be a very nice car  :-) :-) :-)

Bongo

Is the A610 the one Renault sold in this country?

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"like I'd keep it stock  :-) :-) :-)

totally off topic, but junk the emissions gear, update the engine with renault tuning parts, lower the suspension, fit modern rubber, and paint it, and would be a very nice car  :-) :-) :-)

Mark are you talking about the Delorean????

Going back to the saxo/106 thing, the 106 in Car magazine recently did some stunning lap times, faster than a Type R, 172 etc.  The 106 chassis was a belter, the saxo one was a bit crappy, which I don't understand as they both used the same components/layout.  Possibly the saxo was a bit heavier...

The Alpine A610 was the last of the line that was sold here, had updated lights, etc and looked quite nice.  Journalists absolutely raved about it, saying it was the best handling car money could buy.

m http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... ie%3DUTF-8 m

Mama mia thats a big link

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

yep was on about the delorean,

teh A610 and teh Alpine before it, were IMHo let down by an average bodyshell and a truly awful interior.

fortunately all the best bits of it could be used to update a delorean which share 85% of teh drivetrain.

Darth Paul

Are you saying that the A610 and the DeLorean are based on the same car?  s:? :? s:?  

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"yep was on about the delorean,

the A610 and the Alpine before it, were IMHo let down by an average bodyshell and a truly awful interior.

fortunately all the best bits of it could be used to update a delorean which share 85% of the drivetrain.

Agrred the interior on the ALpine was trully horific..It had IIRC that horrible flaked seat upholstry that looked like someone had put glue on a normal seat and grated grey cheese on it.

Have to say the A610 was a beautiful looking thing..and I prefer it over the DeLorean.

By the way Mark, you can now swap the 2, and still have that wind in the hair feeling with the DMC

http://www.ncdmc.org/Memphis/Image008.jpg
MOD: Link changed to URL

Those Seats look rather like a punch bag.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

to a degree though teh a610 obviosuly has a lot more development as it's newer.

the underlying Renault/Peugot Douvrin V6 and Gearbox however are essentially teh same unit.

the engine location is at the rear a la 911 on both cars, the suspension si slightly different as teh Deloreans was done by Lotus, and the chassis likewise is not too disimmilar.

they are certainly cousins under teh skin.

teh Deloreans biggest issues now, are

a) age, it never developed as far as teh Alpine
b) power, it was strangled by US spec emmisions equipment
c) weight, the stainless body was totally unecessary and just added weigth (their was aGRP skin underneath it anyway)

and to think you could by a Delorean a few years ago for £8000, I'd buy one if tehy were still that cheap  s:-( :-( s:-(

markiii

Quote from: "MRMike"
Quote from: "markiii"yep was on about the delorean,

the A610 and the Alpine before it, were IMHo let down by an average bodyshell and a truly awful interior.

fortunately all the best bits of it could be used to update a delorean which share 85% of the drivetrain.

Agrred the interior on the ALpine was trully horific..It had IIRC that horrible flaked seat upholstry that looked like someone had put glue on a normal seat and grated grey cheese on it.

Have to say the A610 was a beautiful looking thing..and I prefer it over the DeLorean.

I truly hope that is a photoshop   s:? :? s:?  
By the way Mark, you can now swap the 2, and still have that wind in the hair feeling with the DMC

http://www.ncdmc.org/Memphis/Image008.jpg
mod: link changed to URL

Those Seats look rather like a punch bag.

GSB

I've got a 106, and while I do freely admit that the brakes are almost, but not quite totally ineffective, the handling is every bit as entertaining as the MR2. Although at slightly lower cornering speeds.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Saw a Delorean the other day. Much prefer the alpine. At least you can get past 88 in the alpine.

Alpine seem to have that Cosworth/Lotus carlton (now that's a car!) thing going - they go for silly money.

Anonymous

isnt the delorena the 'back to the future' car?   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Yeah that was the "88" joke!

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheRaven"Saw a Delorean the other day. Much prefer the alpine. At least you can get past 88 in the alpine.

Alpine seem to have that Cosworth/Lotus carlton (now that's a car!) thing going - they go for silly money.

dont get me started on the lotus carlton/omega, I worked on this back at my Hethel days, it was blisteringly quick. We started with an imported omega (GSI? or something similar)  stripped down, and then totaly re built with new engine etc, at that time it would totaly thrash the espri  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: