Totally Devastated... HELP?

Started by wilkinson, March 4, 2013, 18:39

wilkinson

Hello All!

Okay so i've enjoyed my MR2 since I purchased it last week, but today has been a real upset.
I'm hoping those of you with more technical knowledge may be able to help.

So I was driving today with the roof down, I was on a small country lane at around 15mph in 3rd gear.
When the road opened up I attempted to accelerate but had no power at all, the engine was still running but lacked power, after a moment it gained some power but it wasn't correct. The engine management light came on & after 2 minutes the began flashing. It hasn't gone off & flashes whenever I start the car.

Has anybody had any experience's like this, if so what's the first thing to check?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ray835

i think we all have at some time or another no need to panic  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Wabbitkilla

3rd gear is far too tall for 15mph and expecting to take off.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

A flashing EML is not a good sign,  all the usual faults we experience have a steady light on,  once it starts to flash you shouldn't drive until the fault is diagnosed

Stephster

Agreed about the gear you were in. 15 miles an hour is not a 3rd gear speed in an MR2 (or most other cars).
Whereabouts in the country are you, maybe there is someone near you with an OBDII reader who could read your fault code for you and then you would know what you are facing.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

mrzwei

Quote from: "Les"A flashing EML is not a good sign,  all the usual faults we experience have a steady light on,  once it starts to flash you shouldn't drive until the fault is diagnosed

+10!

Have you been using any oil?

Too slow again   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Sounds like its gone into limp mode.

smarty72

Any strange noises/knocking from the engine? Have you checked levels, particularly the oil?
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

smarty72

You say you've owned it for one week. What sort of mileage have you done it that time? Where did you buy it? Have you checked the oil in that time.

It's possible the previous owner may have sold you an oil burner and not mentioned, I really hope it's just something simple though, fingers crossed.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

mrzwei

As Les said, it's the 'flashing' light that's the problem. For just the light the hanbbook says get the car checked out asp. I'm pretty sure that with the light flashing it says something like 'stop! and don't drive it!'
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

dj2k21

Take the negative terminal off for 5 mins then reconnect and it should reset the ecu... the fault will still remain on the dash but it should atleast allow u to get to a local garage to diagnose the fault. .. or if u have an android phone download torque pro for £3 and get an eml bluetooth obd2 reader for a tenner ob ebay and then u can diagnose and gove urself live data on ur phone forever and ever  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

wilkinson

Thank you all for your replies...

Sorry guys, I was a little vague... I meant to say when I accelerated I dropped a gear into second but the engine didn't pick up, instead it lost power & hasn't recovered.

I bought the car from a car dealer in Waltham Abbey. I have covered approx 150miles since owning.
When I collected the car they topped up the oil as they said it was low, I checked it over the weekend & it was low again so topped up using Shell 5w-30 Fully Synthetic.
When I checked today it had used some oil but I topped up again.

I'll try the ECU reset as described above but can't really work this one out.  s:( :( s:(

dj2k21

Little worrying its using so much oil to be honest mate. I would get a compression test done myself from an independent garage. But deffo get it doagnosed asap
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

Try nothing. Take it back, it is unfit for purpose.

dj2k21

Quote from: "M R 2"Try nothing. Take it back, it is unfit for purpose.
Also a very very valid answer to be fair

mrzwei

^^^^

I agree.

The only cure for the oil burning is either a rebuild or a new short engine @ £700 plus fitting.

The law is on your side at one weeks ownership so be assertive.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "dj2k21"
Quote from: "M R 2"Try nothing. Take it back, it is unfit for purpose.
Also a very very valid answer to be fair

Agreed at a week old it's used far too much oil and has developed a serious fault. Reject it, get your money back, find a better one.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AckersMR2

Things don't sound too good unfortunately  s:-( :-( s:-(  , sounds like your next trip should be back to the dealer.
My only car is a Ducati 

Treboeth

As above take her back and get a refund .

Perhaps naming the dealer might help others plus the reaction from them on your return.

Good luck on your next car too  s:) :) s:)

Andys-N20

+1
I have seen the EML flashing once before, I seem to recall when I plugged the diagnostics in, it was a 'missfire detected' alarm.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

markiii

Yep flashing eml is a misfire

Probably Down to the amount of oil it's using
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

2 of the left

Obviously get Management checked out with a Code Reader - Chances are it's a misfire problem - BUT worst case scenario = You got yourself an oil burner - Should that be the case then you have a heap of doo - doo to go through - and the solution has already been put up - NOT fit for purpose - take it back!! - It seems to me that the club gets two to three reports of instances such as this per year  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Raptor

After a weeks ownership I wouldn't even be asking this question on a forum!
Take charge of the situation and take it back, get your money back and find yourself another Roadster.
the law and rights are totally on your side.
Have a look at the office of fair trading website with reference to purchasing a second hand car, print out the info from them and go get your cash!
Good luck matey!

trickyD

There are a couple of dodgy looking dealers in Waltham Abbey, as I recall (sorry)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
To be fair the dealer may have had no idea that it was a diesel or didn't realise what kind of problem oil consumption is on a 2

Deffo worth taking it back but be aware the guy will only want to persuade you it's ok as he won't have the money to put a new engine in it....

Just my 2p
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

wilkinson

Hi all.

I had a great result today.
I contact the garage last week to tell them about the problem & they told me they would fix the car free of charge as it wasn't my fault after only a few days.

I got the car back this morning, it turns out it was a coil plug had gone so they replaced it & 4 new spark plugs & she runs great now.
Very happy with both the garage & car & now i'll be able to start enjoying my little MR2.

Thanks for all your help/replies guy's.  s:) :) s:)

Tags: