RADIATOR LEVEL DROPS

Started by zxr400, March 6, 2013, 10:21

zxr400

HI I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT. WHAT I WANTED TO ASK IS A PROBLEM I HAVE WITH MY RADIATOR EXPANSION BOTTLE LEVEL. I BOUGHT THE CAR ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO FROM A DEALER. ABOUT A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT IT I NOTICED THE EXPANSION BOTTLE LEVEL HAD DROPPED TO THE MINIUM LEVEL. I CONTACTED THE DEALER AND THEY FOUND OUT THE RADIATOR WAS LEAKING SO THEY REPLACED IT. THEN WHEN I PICKED IT UP THEY SAID I MIGHT HAVE TO FILL IT UP A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT IN THE END I ENDED UP TOPPING IT UP X5 TIMES. THEY TOOK IT BACK IN AGAIN  AND GOT SOME MORE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM BUT NOW IF I FILL IT UP TO THE MAXIMUM LEVEL IT ALWAYS DROPS TO THE MINIUM LEVEL AND STAYS THERE. IS THAT NORMAL, THEY HAVE TESTED FOR LEAKS AND THE HEAD GASKET AND SAID IT IS ALL OKAY, THANKS

StuC

Firstly welcome along  :-) :-) :-)

Secondly, how is the temperature of the car performing? Any overheating issues?

Lastly, no need to shout!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

The min line for me is normal. Depending on the water temp it can be higher. But I just look at its above the min and that my water level acts like a yoyo.

AmeR

When Spit and myself were bleeding the system post engine change on my car, it took quite some time to feel like we got all of the air out including a few runs out to get it up to temperature and get things moving.

Have you topped up a considerable amount each time?
Has the temperature gauge performed as expected (roughly halfway when up to temperature) at all times?
If not, has it become more steady the more you have to put in?
Has the heater been working? On full whack it puts out some serious heat!
Have you had any puddles under the car?

zxr400

THANKS FOR REPLYS, THE TEMPERATURE OF THE CAR IS HALFWAY ON THE GAUGE, THE FIRST TIME I TOPPED UP, I HAD TO FILL THE EXPANSION BOTTLE UP AS IT WAS NEARLY EMPTY. AFTER THAT I JUST TOPPED UP FROM MINIUM LEVEL TO MAXIMUM LEVEL ABOUT 5 TIMES. THE HEATER WORKS WELL AND IT CHUCKS OUT HOT AIR. I CANT SEE ANY PUDDLES UNDER CAR AND DEALER DID SAY THEY HAD TESTED FOR LEAKS WITH A DYE IN THE RAD WATER AND PRESSURE TESTED THE RAD. I HAVE LEFT THE EXPANSION TANK LEVEL ON MINIUM NOW AND WILL SEE IF DROPS BELOW THAT. IS THAT SAFE

StuC

How long are you running it in between top ups?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

zxr400

when i first had rad replaced about 3 weeks ago i would top it up about every 2-3 days about 35 miles. Then after the dealer had it in again i havent topped it up from the low level since i had it back about 3 days ago as i read somewhere that the rad water might find its own level on these mr2 s and as long as it doesnt fall below the minium mark on the expansion bottle it should be okay.

uktotty

So glad you found the CAPS LOCK key.
Levels go up and down like a yoyo, don't worry if your gauge is in the centre and you have no issues.

AckersMR2

Yeah mine fluctuates a little between just below low and just above high, I don't worry about it too much, as long as the expansion bottle doesn't run dry!
My only car is a Ducati 

zxr400

thanks everyone for all youre advice. I wont worry about the rad level anymore.

Tags: