Tools?

Started by Anonymous, March 6, 2013, 15:50

Markb

Quote from: "AndyM"Just picked one of the Halfords sets today. I don't know how true it is (they always have offers on) but they claim the £79.99 price is only on till Tuesday.

Probably...they were £129.99 in my local yesterday......i would buy a set but have a similar set already,but tbh i would only buy the 6 point sockets after using them.This Bahco set is next on my list.

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Socket-10 ... 277&sr=8-5 m

dj2k21

Just ordered a new set of ramps and super low ramp adapters from machine mart. Collection tomorrow so I can take my bumper off to repair and paint it. Cant even get a low jack under it as it stands lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

shnazzle

I just damn near broke my pinky (might be broken actually) on my stupid Halfords trolley jack.

Stupid thing has the most ridiculous and unstable jacking lever. It pops out all the time.

So I punched the floor full-force
...neutiquam erro.

VVT-i

I haven't read all the replys, so forgive me if this has been covered... you seem to have plenty info on tools.. so, the recycling of old oil etc..

You have lots of choices,  m http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/1210/1054 ... ingcentres m

West Lothian Council provides a range of Community Recycling Centres throughout West Lothian where residents can take household items to be recycled or disposed of.

There are Community Recycling Centres at the following locations:

Blackburn, East Mains Street
    Broxburn, Greendykes Industrial Estate
    Linlithgow, Braehead Road
    Livingston, Deans Cleansing Depot, Nairn Road
    Livingston, Oakbank
    Whitburn, Dixon Terrace, Burnhouse Industrial Estate, Whitburn

You can dispose of batteries and old engine oil at any of the above depots.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

mrzwei

Just one off the wall really but Lidl have a 101 piece kit for £69.99 at the moment. Comes from the same region in China as the Halfords one does   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I only plug Aldi and Lidl from personal experience of their quality / value.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Markb

Quote from: "shnazzle"I just damn near broke my pinky (might be broken actually) on my stupid Halfords trolley jack.

Stupid thing has the most ridiculous and unstable jacking lever. It pops out all the time.

I bought a Halfords quick lift 4x4 trolley jack for the Rav 4 last year....had two replacements and still not that happy with the one i have...sometimes it will lose height very slowly,sometimes its ok,don't trust it that much tbh

shnazzle

Quote from: "Markb"
Quote from: "shnazzle"I just damn near broke my pinky (might be broken actually) on my stupid Halfords trolley jack.

I bought a Halfords quick lift 4x4 trolley jack for the Rav 4 last year....had two replacements and still not that happy with the one i have...sometimes it will lose height very slowly,sometimes its ok,don't trust it that much tbh

Indeed. The release valve seems a bit sensitive to say the least. Haven't lost height yet, but I always put it on axle stands straight away.
Too many horror stories of crushed people trusting trolley jacks.

My finger properly hurts today... Considering legal action  s:) :) s:)  hehehe
...neutiquam erro.

AndyM

[strike:2u5z7il5]Spotted this on the old fleabay and wondered if it would be fit for purpose for a DIY torque wrench?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLSON-3-8-DR ... 0876258193 m

What do you think?[/strike:2u5z7il5]

Scratch that... Just found a pretty damning review
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Markb

Quote from: "AndyM"[strike:yi73d887]Spotted this on the old fleabay and wondered if it would be fit for purpose for a DIY torque wrench?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLSON-3-8-DR ... 0876258193 m

What do you think?[/strike:yi73d887]

Scratch that... Just found a pretty damning review

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ...these are very good,bought two for myself and my dad a while back.....almost essential for torquing wheel nuts up.

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6335 ... que+wrench m

AndyM

Quote from: "Markb":.: ...these are very good,bought two for myself and my dad a while back.....almost essential for torquing wheel nuts up.

Thanks Mark. I looked at these and they seem well reviewed. Is the torque range not a bit high though for anything other than wheels?

This one only goes down to 42Nm and I though quite a lot of the '2 needed 27-35Nm? I may be wrong though.

Markb

Quote from: "AndyM"
Quote from: "Markb":.: ...these are very good,bought two for myself and my dad a while back.....almost essential for torquing wheel nuts up.

Thanks Mark. I looked at these and they seem well reviewed. Is the torque range not a bit high though for anything other than wheels?

This one only goes down to 42Nm and I though quite a lot of the '2 needed 27-35Nm? I may be wrong though.

Depends what you really want it for.....ideally i suppose you would need the one i mentioned and a smaller version (for both size and lower torque range).....the draper one below the Silverline might suit you better if its more for engine bay work/lighter jobs.

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... diy&sr=1-2 m

XmadX

What Jacks / Trolley Jacks would you recommend for (safe  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  ) under car work?
~*~*~XmadX~*~*~
*NOW SOLD* 2002 1.8 Roadster VVTi Black (Pre-Facelift)
[size=85]Stainless Exhaust Manifold / Colour Coded Side Vents / Dev\'s Keyhole Covers / Wolfrace TrackReady Alloys / Ultra Racing Front Brace / Sony MEXBT3900U Stereo / Midship Badges / Crystal Black Side Repeaters / Midship Pull Lever / Ultra Brilliance Headlights / Chrome Dials / TTE Style Body Bracing / Remus Twin Exhaust [/size]

Alex Knight

None.

I would use axle stands.

***NEVER*** get under a car with just a trolley jack in place.

spit

+1 to the power of many, don't risk it. Use a jack for jacking and stands for standing.

Ramps can be very handy too for a quick way to get under the back end safely. The lightweight cheaper ones with a hefty gradient are hopeless and potentially dangerous though. If you opt for ramps get something with a bit of weight and a friendly slope.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

AndyM

+ (another) 1 to the stands

I've got a 2-tonne Clarke set with trolley jack and pair of axle stands.

Think I paid about £50 from Machine Mart in about 2002. Works fine and I haven't lost any bits of me yet  s:) :) s:)

XmadX

Ok thanks guys - Well I was asking for any recommendations (brands or ones to avoid like the plague) as I saw this:-

2T trolley £34.99 which you get 2 Axle stands (worth £19.99) free limited offer

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 2tjackaxle m

Is this something worth investing in? And purchasing an additional set of stands?
~*~*~XmadX~*~*~
[size=85]Stainless Exhaust Manifold / Colour Coded Side Vents / Dev\'s Keyhole Covers / Wolfrace TrackReady Alloys / Ultra Racing Front Brace / Sony MEXBT3900U Stereo / Midship Badges / Crystal Black Side Repeaters / Midship Pull Lever / Ultra Brilliance Headlights / Chrome Dials / TTE Style Body Bracing / Remus Twin Exhaust [/size]

Jandaw

I got both jack and stands from Halfrauds separately last November. I reckon its a half decent deal, better than I paid with my discount card.

AndyM

Looks ok to me.

Personally I haven't found I've needed more than one pair of axle stands at any one time and either work front/back or left/right half at a time. Also there are some reports of 4 axles stands being a bit unstable so as far as I know most people work with 2 wheels on the deck at any one time.

Another option (and something I'm considering) is using ramps and stands if you need to lift the whole car. Not sure how kosher this is though and obviously it won't work if you need to work on all 4 wheels/hubs.

XmadX

~*~*~XmadX~*~*~

Joesson

I've been looking myself for a jack /stands and I like the look of the jack or jack + 2 axle stands from:
sgs-engineering.com
The jack has an entry height of 89mm and open height of 359mm with a 360 degree rotating handle which means that you can use the jack in a typical narrow garage width.
The jack alone is£27.99 and with 2 axle stands£41.99 +£5.30 next day delivery.
Sorry I haven't shown a direct link but I think you will agree it is worth a look

Markb

Quote from: "Joesson"I've been looking myself for a jack /stands and I like the look of the jack or jack + 2 axle stands from:
sgs-engineering.com
The jack has an entry height of 89mm and open height of 359mm with a 360 degree rotating handle which means that you can use the jack in a typical narrow garage width.
The jack alone is£27.99 and with 2 axle stands£41.99 +£5.30 next day delivery.
Sorry I haven't shown a direct link but I think you will agree it is worth a look

m http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydrauli ... xle-stands m

Looks ok.......seems to be good value.

spit

Continuing an older thread, some thoughts on a couple of recent additions.

Irwin Bolt Grip Nut Removers (and/or expansion set)

These are reverse fluted sockets. I've tried a few like these over the years, but the Irwins really are the dog's danglies. I'd consider these an essential item now that our '2s are getting a bit crusty around the edges.

They provide insane amounts of grip on the gnarliest of nuts. Nic and I discovered that they work ridiculously well on seized in studs too. Ruins them, but shifts 'em!

Alongside the 3/8th drive option, all sockets have metric hexes which give a handy alternative to swing on if access is limited.

Owning a vice is useful to remove nuts from the sockets once they're off. They bite so hard they sometimes don't want to let go  s:D :D s:D  

Basic and expansion set cover different nut sizes.

King D1ck 19mm/22mm ring spanner

Not sure how long these will be around for. If you feel the need, nows the time to lay your hands on a King D1ck!

Ex-military issue, a batch of these is currently appearing secondhand on - well, you know where. As far as I'm aware, they're not available new in the 19/22mm variant to Mr. and Mrs. public.

I bought this as a multi solution for some common '2 related stuff. The 19mm swan neck is ideal for access to the recessed crank pulley and suspension gubbins. The 22 end slips over O2 plugs to get to stubborn sensors whilst clearing the heatshield. Perfect for Bank 1/post-cat. Need to come at it from 7 o'clock for Bank 2 'cos of the filter box heatshield, but that's no biggie.

A beautifully made, very substantial spanner - and the business ends are deep. You can get oodles of torque through 'em.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Kaeo

Awesome! You live about 5 minutes away from me!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: