Stagger????

Started by antinator, March 7, 2013, 14:56

antinator

Ok I know you all are going post 100's of links to stagger etc etc, can someone give me a yes or no to if I can use spacers in my tears to give the same handling and staggered effect, ATM I have aftermarket 17" with 215 all round and ive heard its dangerous..... I no its not ideal but I don't want to buy new wheels and the rear tires are also brand new!

Many thanks

s12vea

s:flame: :flame: s:flame:
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Anonymous

Quote from: "s12vea":flame:

very true steve.

op the answer is no the tyres have to change to create stagger nothing else will do it!!

nathanMR2

Spacers aren't going to make your tyre contact area wider which is what you need to aim for, they will just make the wheels stick out more.

Really not recommended to have the same tyres. Some people have got away with it, many haven't.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dj2k21

Right well first off no dont use spacers tp give stagger, it doesn't work like that.

Few questions really

1. If the tyres are brand new, why didnt u put staggered tyres on to start with?

2. If you recently bought the car and the person before put the tyres on and they are almost brand new as u say, alot of tyre places will part exchange the tyres for u so its worth a go. I did it with mine.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

nathanMR2

My guess is that the op has got a wheel and tyre deal combo. You can go to halfords and buy a set of wheels and tyres but they sure wont be staggered

mrzwei

You should at least stagger the trye pressures front / rear.

This is such a complex subject because there are so many variables. The spacers will widen the track a bit but will also soften the suspension a bit.

If wider track at the rear and a slightly softer suspension will reduce the likelyhood of 'snap' oversteer then ok but I suspect they will just cancel each other out

Toyota sank a lot of development money into producing a car with pretty neutral, 'go where you point it' handling'.

Like a lot of others, I wrote off my MGF on a fairly slow left hander when the back went with no warning, span into a tree and bounced back into the road. Fortunately there was nothing coming the other way because I would have taken them out too.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

antinator

Sorry I'm really new!!!! I thought stagger meant to stagger the tires..... I just brought the car so it came with the alloys.... I may try see if a garage will part ex them but its doubtful where I'm from.... Also is it possible to put wider tires on same size rims????

dj2k21

Stagger does mean to stagger the tyres mate. And yes u can put wider tyres on the same rims. You deffo want to be putting wider ones onbthe back buddy.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Jandaw

Quote from: "dj2k21"Stagger does mean to stagger the tyres mate. And yes u can put wider tyres on the same rims. You deffo want to be putting wider ones onbthe back buddy.

Could be a good idea to ask the op what wheels and tyres he has and then throw some numbers/options at him.

I think he's got the message now about stagger. I use OE wheels and Toyo front Bridgestone rear. I have no experience of other options.

What do you think guys?

s12vea

Get ready for the flaming to begin .... Don't want to be mixing brands front and rear
TF204 Blue

markiii

Quote from: "Jandaw"
Quote from: "dj2k21"Stagger does mean to stagger the tyres mate. And yes u can put wider tyres on the same rims. You deffo want to be putting wider ones onbthe back buddy.

Could be a good idea to ask the op what wheels and tyres he has and then throw some numbers/options at him.

I think he's got the message now about stagger. I use OE wheels and Toyo front Bridgestone rear. I have no experience of other options.

What do you think guys?

happy to oblige, I think its an incredibly stupid thing to do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Jandaw"Toyo front Bridgestone rear. What do you think guys?

Another   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   I'm afraid

It really is best to have the same make and model tyres on all four corners

...In staggered sizes

at the correct pressures
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

s12vea

Quote from: "kentsmudger"

...In staggered sizes

at the correct pressures

Amen brother !! Lol
TF204 Blue

dj2k21

Quote from: "s12vea"
Quote from: "kentsmudger"

...In staggered sizes

at the correct pressures

Amen brother !! Lol

Another +1 here

mrzwei

As as been said often before, the reason is that different makes of tyre have different stiffness in the tyre wall, ie some will flex more than others and mixing types may not work because the back or front can be relatively 'loose' or 'tight' and alter the handling.

Given a lot of time and testing on track then I'm sure you could arrive at a good set up, particularly if you added adjustable coilovers but few have the resources or knowledge or time. The safest bet is to stick close to the stock set up or to copy something which is known to work.

There will be someone out there with 17's who is making it work.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

antinator

My tires are some random brand bct or something like that, and they are 205/40/17 all round

I don't use this car like a maniac and have only felt the back end twinge once on a roundabout......do you guys say this is dangerous for someone with a heavy right foot??? As I am quite mellow at driving and hardly ever open her up

roger

How you drive a car is not always up to you, you might be reacting to somebody elses foolishness.

If you are a "mellow" driver then you should never have had that one Twinge. The problem is once it goes there is no getting it back unless you are in control from the first millisecond. Members have ditched their cars at minimal speeds.

The choice is yours, but if you fail to heed recommendations (for whatever reason) then if a problem arises you will at least know we were right. If they don't arise I suggest you accept you've been lucky.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

AmeR

It's unsafe for anyone. Irrespective of how the car is utilised on the road, if you lower the risk of twitchiness then you lower the likelihood of the car biting back. The way a person drives is only one aspect of driving. There's a lot more out there to factor in to the equation.

My suggestion is that you have a nosey round and stick some words in the search bar at the top. Plenty of people have noticed that sticking to a stagger, same brand etc etc can really transform the car in a noticeable way. Worth thinking about, but nobody can make you do anything that you choose not to.

antinator

Maybe ill stick the standard wheels he gave me back on the car..... It just seems a waste of the brand new wheels

dj2k21

Sell them.... spendnthe cash on handling mods

Jandaw

Quote from: "dj2k21"Sell them.... spendnthe cash on handling mods

Best advice so far.

Took a few posts to get there.

nathanMR2

I told a young lad to sort his tyres out and if he decided not to take my advise and leave it, then to at least sort them before it started to get wet as it was the summer when I spoke about this. He didn't take my advise and 2 months later this was the result...

His head went through the drivers window       , which wasn't open

antinator

Lol ok ok ok I get the picture now  s:) :) s:)  I may sell the standards and use the money to buy new tires for the alloys as they do set the car off.... But obvs same brand and staggered... What thickness would i require for 17" alloys?

nathanMR2

Depends on the width of the wheels. Take a look at the bottom of this thread and there is a link to a favourable make of tyre with a list of tyres which will fit on certain width wheels

l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42687 l

I think the favoured size is 225/35/17 on the rears and 205/40/17 front but like I say it depends on wheel width and make of tyre

Tags: