Stagger????

Started by antinator, March 7, 2013, 14:56

trevsmr2

Quote from: "antinator"Lol ok ok ok I get the picture now  s:) :) s:)  I may sell the standards and use the money to buy new tires for the alloys as they do set the car off.... But obvs same brand and staggered... What thickness would i require for 17" alloys?

Standard alloys, are staggered wheels as well as staggered tyres ,have a look at the standards you have spare and you will see they are different widths ,later cars had different size rears as well
what are the standards ,all 15" or 2 15s  2 16s,  what are the 17s you have ?

Could sell sell both sets and get some more suitable ones

stargazer30

Quote from: "antinator"My tires are some random brand bct or something like that, and they are 205/40/17 all round

I don't use this car like a maniac and have only felt the back end twinge once on a roundabout......do you guys say this is dangerous for someone with a heavy right foot??? As I am quite mellow at driving and hardly ever open her up

Oh no, double trouble, cheapo ditch finders too made out of plastic.  Dude your gonna end up in a ditch unless you loose these.  As has been said even driving like miss daisy will only buy you time.   At some point your going to hit a slippy bit of corner.  The rear will have the same or less grip than the front, all the weight is at the rear so once it starts to move its not going to stop (this happens very quickly BTW) and by the time you realise whats going on it will be too late to do much about it.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AckersMR2

I understand your quandary, ditching four perfectly good, and two new tyres on the back, seems such a waste and I was going to suggest maybe putting the new back tyres/wheels on the front and then buy two tyres for the back of the same brand but wider?............... But then I read some reviews of the BCT, now I know Internet reviews can be a little misleading, after all people are quick to complain on the Internet  but rarely make the effort to post a good review but saying that I really did struggle to find anyone who had a good word for them.
My only car is a Ducati 

antinator

Ok so ive rang a company who might part ex the tires..... I'm going for 205/40/17 front and 22/30/17 back surely this is ok.......right??

Anonymous

Quote from: "antinator"Ok so ive rang a company who might part ex the tires..... I'm going for 205/40/17 front and 22/30/17 back surely this is ok.......right??

22/30/17 is going to be a bit narrow. sorry couldnt resist

to match the 205/40/17 on the front you will want 225/35/17 on the back

antinator

Whoops that's what i meant!!!

antinator

Ok so now next problem is 225/35/17 are rare and I mean no1 around can order them! Would 225/40/17 work?? Or 215/40/17 or is that not enough of a width change

stargazer30

Op

If you have the old stock alloys I'd suggest you use them and use standard sizes.  The standard tyres are cheap and easy to get ahold of.  Later, you can sell the halfords alloys off and use the cash to pay for a refurb of the stock wheels (about £200)?

Stock alloys will most likely be lighter too so they will be a performance increase over the 17" rims I'd imagine.

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

dj2k21

Order them from black circles mate then just pay for fitting at a tyre place or opt for the fitting service at a local branch which they show u on a map and they will deliver the tyres there and u go have them fitted. Believe it or not my local bkack circles fitter is my local Peugeot dealership.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

225/35/17 are a rear ish tyre. camskill do them tho you can always look at 195/45/17 front and 225/40/17 rear if they ok on the 7j rim. have a look at nathans link at what toyo recommend on the 7j rim and it should give you an idea. but a rule of thumb if the rear tyre is 20mm wider (ie the 225 bit) then you lower the profile by 5 (ie the 35 bit).

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

nathanMR2

Tyre choice is a big head ache. Ive recently gone through it and spent hours looking what was right for me and its even more of a struggle with 17's as it limits your choice.

I got a better deal than i could find anywhere online when i called up more local tyre place. I got my tyres fitted for less than ebay, tyretrader, black circles prices which were delivered without fitting. I secured mine for around £60 less fitted so its worth making the calls once youve decided what you want.

Bear in mind tyres choice is worth investing some serious time in and its not something you want to be skrimping on buying real cheapo tyres. They are the only thing keeping you attached to the road
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

PaullyP2010

Falken 452's

205/40/17
225/35/17

Should cost you around £390 all in via blackcircles - haven't looked anywhere else

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

km7

Hi Guys

Hope this is the right forum for this.

I got got a new set of 17" rims for my mr2.

front: 17 x 7.0
back: 17 x 7.5

My question is, what tires to use??

I was told 215/40/17 for the front and 225/40/17 for the back.  Will this work for the car or do i have to use a different sizes.

Regards
km7

AckersMR2

I think what's written above pretty much answers your questions so I'd read through that.
Ideally you want a 20-30mm difference in stagger between the front and rear but as said above I believe choices are limited for 17" rims?
My only car is a Ducati 

tomaky

Always!!!! Maintain a 20mm stagger! ive even got a 30mm stagger how ever that will probably turn into 20mm if the fronts ever go haha
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

onion86

You might have arch issues with 225/40s, 225/35 preferable. But see above, go 195/205 front and 215/225 rear if you can.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

km7

thanks guys for all the replies

i really appreciate it

regards
km7

km7

This is what i can get for a good price

Yokohama's
205/40/17 - Front
225/45/17 - Back

Will there be a problem if the profiles are different as i cannot get the 225 with a 40 profile.

Regards
km7

onion86

Yes, no way will that fit. Not to mention that your rolling radius will be 5%/8% higher (depending on whether you're PFL or FL).

As I said, even 225/40 probably the most you can go, you need 225/35 ideally.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Wabbitkilla

Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

km7

so next question is a dumb one, won't it look odd having a 35 profile in the back and 40 in the front

Wabbitkilla

You need to read a lot more about tyres and profiles.
The simple answer is no .... the profile is a percentage of the width of the tread, so 205/40 -vs- 225/35 will not look that much different on the car.
BUT ... having driven with 215/40/17 on the back I would say you will feel like you're sat on a pile of rocks with a rabid mole under them when you're driving along your average road!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

i.e., Comparing overall tyre diameters;
205/40/17 = 596mm
225/35/17 = 589mm
Difference = 7mm

Hardly noticeable
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

km7

ok, will 215/40/17 back & 205/40/17 front work??

who knew buying tires would be this hard...

km7

i am checking if i can get the 225/35/17, if i can then i will go 205/40/17 front & 225/35/17 back

thanks for the help guys

regards
km7

Tags: