Markiii pipe install

Started by AndyM, March 17, 2013, 17:00

AndyM

Hi,

Fitting my new pipe as we speak and had a quick question. I've read lots about it being a battle to get these things in because of the right fit, however mine seems to have popped into both sides without much effort at all.

In fact, the intake (wing) side is actually quite loose. Couldn't managed to get any foam tape prior to fitting so I'm assuming this will help. However, will it be ok to run it in mean time with it a bit loose?

Just working out if I should put the old one back in for the time being while the cluster is out.

Thanks
Andy
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

markiii

they have never intentionally been a tight fit,

a batch some time ago was made with swaged ends (supplier thought they were being helpful)

caused me mucho problems

no you won't cause a problem running without the tape
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

AndyM

Thanks for the reply.

This is one of the flat ended ones. i've given it a good press into the air box side and it's pretty snug, everything else is lining up so I'll bolt it back up and get some tape on it next weekend when it arrives.

Cheers.

tomaky

What i did rather than wrapping the end of pipe in draft tape i put the pipe in marked where the pipe met the edge on the plastic pipes. Then wrapped this point with one line so it mates up so to speak with the plastic.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

AndyM

Cheers, I'll have another look at it next weekend to make it seal a bit more.

Just took it for a spin and I think you can hear the K&N a bit lower down in the rev range than before which is nice. Normally I'd only notice the sound at 4k+ revs but I was easily picking it out at near 3k. May be an optimistic trick of the mind but I'll take it  s;) ;) s;)  

Also seemed to have a bit more 'go' when pulling off/getting back up to a normal speed when a Sunday trundler pulls out of the way.

tomaky

Other way you could prob do it is install pipe and then roll it around the pipe at each ends probs easier.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

AndyM

I'm going to be replacing the airbox>throttle body pipe as well (possibly next weekend) so it'll all be coming out anyway.

I'll do the seal on the pipe and make sure its snug at the end (keep the smooth airflow rather than creating a little void).

AndyM

Another quick question...

The plastic bolts that hold the pipes in are only threaded part way. On the Markiii I just used the grommet from the old pipe as a spacer on top of the bracket (if I put it underneath it lifted the other pipe way above it's mounting) to allow it to be tightened. Seems ok but I wasn't sure if others have used different bolts instead?

tomaky

Hmm bare with my brains in sleep mode, have you remove the gromet the put it through our pipe back into the hole and screwed it tight?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

AndyM

I put the pipe bracket on the chassis bracket, grommet on top, screwed tight.

I didn't put the grommet through the hole on the new pipe as I couldn't see a way of fitting it in. On the new pipe there is just a hole, on the old pipe there is a slot.

tomaky

Old pipe isnt a full circle is i remember bare with me ill try find a pic or go take one as the cars all over the garage haha.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

tomaky

This is how it should look but with the draft tape better applied lmao
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

AndyM

Looks like you've done the same as me.  s:) :) s:)

tomaky

Should be secure then  s:) :) s:)  guessing your pipe doesnt budge?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Tags: