Yokohama ad08 tyres

Started by GIBBSIE, March 17, 2013, 21:20

is1

Although I haven't tried them on any vehicle, Vredestein Sportrac 5 get excellent reviews (slightly higher than Rainsport 2, which are excellent and I have used on a number of vehicles).  No idea how Rainsport 3 will fare but Vredestein make a very good range of tyres and might be worth it for a very balanced tyre - good in the wet, good in the dry, quiet, decent fuel efficiency rating.

s12vea

Take a chill pill!! You have asked for our opinion and that's that we've given! You just don't seem to want to listen!buy what ever tyres you think are gonna suit your needs and budget - then get behind the wheel and drive the car which will hopefully put a smile on your face again
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Chris 180SX

I have had two sets on ad08s over 50000 miles of motorway and enthusiastic use,  also in the snow, and there is not another tyre I have had that is close to them.  I have had bridgestones t1r ku31s and these on my roadster, and all are noticably worse in the dry wet and snow for me.  I expected to pay for this in wear but I have not.  They are the best thing I have done to any car and will be trying the ad08r's next year for sure.

Capvermell

Quote from: "Chris 180SX"I have had two sets on ad08s over 50000 miles of motorway and enthusiastic use,  also in the snow, and there is not another tyre I have had that is close to them.  I have had bridgestones t1r ku31s and these on my roadster, and all are noticably worse in the dry wet and snow for me.  I expected to pay for this in wear but I have not.  They are the best thing I have done to any car and will be trying the ad08r's next year for sure.

Hi Chris,

How long have you been using the ad08s exactly and also where abouts in the country do you live so therefore what is the worst level of night time winter temperature?

It sound like you don't worry about the claims of the doomsayers that the tyres should not be used below 10C and all their handling advantages vanish below this temp.  Also presumably you have not yet had problems with any cracks in the tyres due to exposure of temperatures of -10C and below (the temp which Yokohama claims the ADO8s) should neither be used or stored - eg left outside on the vehicle in the cold in this temperature even though it is not being driven.

Wabbitkilla

Sorry, I didn't realise your car was disabled in this way, what on earth have you been up to?

I think you have identified a bunch of tyres there that would all be suitable, OK you may need to be a little more careful through the winter but hey we all should anyway.
It's your personal preference really, people have had good experiences with all of the tyres listed, so pay your money and take your chance.
Any of them have to be better than where you find yourself at the moment   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh, I wouldn't dump Rainsport 2's just because the 3's appear, just wear them out and then replace them.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

shnazzle

If you're storing them...anywhere you store them in the UK that's indoors is not going to be -10...unless you're storing them in your garage cool box.
On top of that, even if they are outside on your car, it's never really -10 for longer than a few hours anywhere "normal".

There are plenty of reports online of them behaving very nicely in snow so... not really anything to worry about here. Unless you're moving to Aberdeen soon or getting a lodge in the Grampians.
...neutiquam erro.

Capvermell

Quote from: "is1"Although I haven't tried them on any vehicle, Vredestein Sportrac 5 get excellent reviews (slightly higher than Rainsport 2, which are excellent and I have used on a number of vehicles).  No idea how Rainsport 3 will fare but Vredestein make a very good range of tyres and might be worth it for a very balanced tyre - good in the wet, good in the dry, quiet, decent fuel efficiency rating.

Thanks for the useful suggestion and also therefore guiding me to this Group tyre test that included the Vredstein at  m http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... n-nblue-hd m

The only point that would concern me is that despite its otherwise good performance that its weak area is Aquaplaning, an area close to my heart and an area that the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 especially addresses.   The Hankook V12 Evo is probably not as good in the dry but performs particularly well in avoiding aquaplaning.

Capvermell

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Oh, I wouldn't dump Rainsport 2's just because the 3's appear, just wear them out and then replace them.

Surely you aren't recommending I run with different tyres front and back though long term????????  And I wouldn't buy a set of Rainsport 2s either at all or especially at their current level of ripoff pricing.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Anyhow the Police have now just caught the guy who vandalised my car and then didn't show up for his court hearing (a warrant was then issued for his arrest and he was finally found this morning).  They have just been round here to get two witness statements signed for his court appearance tomorrow.

I intend to go along to see what happens and especially to find out whether he is a serial vandal with numerous previous convictions (which will come out before the sentencing if they sentence him tomorrow) for damaging cars and other property or if something not obvious to me set him off.   He does not live in the road but five miles away in Horsham so this can't be why he attacked my vehicle (parked there for some days whilst I was in Spain).  Generally it should be hard to be jealous of an 11 year old low end sports car with a tatty soft top and badly corroded wheels unlike say some brand new Porsche or Ferrari.

Wabbitkilla

I don't know whether to take offense but you very well I wouldn't suggest running mixed tyres.
I meant Rainsport2 all round unless you're purposely being obtuse.

Good luck with the court case and getting the scumbag dealt with, hopefully he can afford to make amends but they usually can't and don't.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Capvermell

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I don't know whether to take offense but you very well I wouldn't suggest running mixed tyres.
I meant Rainsport2 all round unless you're purposely being obtuse.

Why on earth would I fit Rainsport 2s?  They are a 10 year old design that is completely over priced.  Its only the brand new Rainsport 3, a completely different tyre but merely from the same company, with much lower prices and much better technology that I am interested in.

If I can't get the Rainsport 2s I will fit the next best most modern performance tyre.  Unlike some of you I don't share this enthusiasm for shodding my vehicle with ancient antique tyre models that were once upon a time at the cutting edge.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Capvermell

Quote from: "s12vea"Take a chill pill!! You have asked for our opinion and that's that we've given! You just don't seem to want to listen!buy what ever tyres you think are gonna suit your needs and budget - then get behind the wheel and drive the car which will hopefully put a smile on your face again

I have reported this post to the mods as a deliberate attempt at flaming.  So far they have failed to remove it.

I merely note that it is a deliberate attempt to flame and contributes absolutely nothing to the thread but I shall not be responding directly to the comments made in it by this poster.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

You know something, please take this constructively...
You have come on the forum again to ask for opinion and recommendations, and again choose to either ignore, shoot down, or cast I'll considered bad manners on those people who offer you their opinions in good faith. If you think so little of the people on this forum and their experience, then why do you bother coming back unless it's feeding some self gratifying justification of your superiority?

I've only been driving the MR2 roadster for nearly 7 years in all conditions and on various tyres and setups, I obviously can't try every single tyre on the market. Considering you wouldn't spend the money on fixing your wipers or horn, you're now saying you're happy to spend plenty on tyres. I applaud you trying to pick the best tyres and keeping them matched and staggered, but you're making it a bit of a mission of patience for the rest of us.

Go buy what you like, you really aren't interested in the opinions of anyone here so what ask?

Wabbitkilla

And people wonder why this kind of thing and person gets locked?

nathanMR2

MOD - never nice getting your vehicle damaged but there is certainly no need to take it out on people that are trying to help, share their experience and advice to help you make a decision.

Whilst the thread was reopened I think it's clear why it was locked in the first place.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tags: